Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

House Inspection - Minor Repairs recommention

• 10-07-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello,
    The house I have rented was recently inspected for the first time. A few minor non-compliances; non-lockable safety restrictions required on windows, ventilation is required to be fitted in the living room & kitchen and gas boiler service cert were noted. I'd appreciate any recommendations for getting these seen to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭dennyk

Are you the tenant or the landlord? The landlord would need to address those issues. If you are the landlord, there's not really much to it other than to have the required hardware and ventilation installed and have the boiler inspected and serviced (and make sure to do so on an annual basis going forward). If you are the tenant, you'd need to notify the landlord of the issues so they can be corrected, though I assume they were the one who arranged the inspection in the first place (or had it arranged for them if it was required because you are on HAP or something), so they should be receiving a report as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,546 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

John G wrote: »
    I'd appreciate any recommendations for getting these seen to.

You know it's a big country? Some clues about your location might kinda help people give reasonable recommendations ....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.propertyproducts.ie/non-lockable-window-restricotor.html
    ventilation is required to be fitted in the living room & kitchen and gas boiler service cert were noted
    Fit the ventilation, but keep in mind that the tenants may block it to stop the draught it's intended to provide.
    Is there an extract fan in the kitchen currently?
    Probably best having a RGII certified person do the gas service cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

Hello,
    Sorry, I realise I was a little light on detail! I am the landlord and the house is in North Dublin. The tenants recently moved onto HAP scheme, hence the inspection. I am not based in Dublin so I've to take care of this remotely. These are small fixes, I just want them to do done correctly. Any recommendations appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You know it's a big country? Some clues about your location might kinda help people give reasonable recommendations ....

The location is irrelevant

• Advertisement

Hello,
    Sorry, I realise I was a little light on detail! I am the landlord and the house is in North Dublin. The tenants recently moved onto HAP scheme, hence the inspection. I am not based in Dublin so I've to take care of this remotely. These are small fixes, I just want them to do done correctly. Any recommendations appreciated.

It's a very simple set of demands, any handyman could do the vents and fit the window restrictors, if the walls are built of stone, you can't put in wall vents so trickle vents on the windows are an option

Any RGI registered gas plumber can service the boiler and write you a cert

Look up Handyman on DD, in my experience you will likely deal with a pole

Look up the RGI website and select Dublin

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The location is irrelevant

Hardly: know a handyman in Galway who would do a good job. But I'm not wasting his time or the OPs recommending him for a job in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwilldare

Make sure you get pictures of the completed recommendations from whoever carries them out, just to be on the safe side.

Hardly: know a handyman in Galway who would do a good job. But I'm not wasting his time or the OPs recommending him for a job in Dublin!

OP didn't ask for the name of a handyman, there are more handymen out there than your mate

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    OP didn't ask for the name of a handyman, there are more handymen out there than your mate

The OP said:
    ....I'd appreciate any recommendations for getting these seen to.

Most people regard a recommendation as the name and contact details of someone who you believe will do a good job.

• Advertisement

The OP said:

Most people regard a recommendation as the name and contact details of someone who you believe will do a good job.

That's your interpretation, mine is that the OP was looking for general guidelines, it's the tasks which matter, not who carries them out, otherwise the vast majority of people would be no use to him, someone in Cork might have the best advice but is unlikely to know a handyman in North Dublin

the_syco wrote: »

Fit the ventilation, but keep in mind that the tenants may block it to stop the draught it's intended to provide.

The annoying thing is that they are looking for a vent in the kitchen which has an extractor fan and in the living room which has an open chimney. Both would have been obvious to the inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭dennyk

The annoying thing is that they are looking for a vent in the kitchen which has an extractor fan and in the living room which has an open chimney. Both would have been obvious to the inspector.

A chimney (especially one with a flue that can be closed) and an extractor fan (which may provide little or no airflow when the fan isn't engaged) may not provide suitable passive ventilation to meet the required standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

And when I had HAP inspection on one of my properties they asked for proof of gas boiler service in an apartment with only electrics.

They tick a box they are not surveyors they have no clue what they are checking. You send them an email saying x y and z has been taken care of.
    End of. They don’t reinspect don’t have the resources and don’t honestly care.

Just thought I’d piggy off back of this thread.

Received a call yesterday that hap had completed inspection on house I have. I wasn’t aware this was happening which I don’t have to be.

However it is one room rented to a HAP tenant there are six other tenants who are private tenants. The HAP inspector informed me they accessed some of the other bedrooms but not all. And that they will need access to all.

I was horrified by this. To turn up with no warning to other private tenants and expect to access their rooms. Is this legal?

Surely as they are not hap tenants they have no relationship to hap or it’s inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KneonK

Hello,

Original requester, ensure that you request your boiler person issues an annex E safety certificate. If you look at the wording on the letter under reg 12 you will see that it's requested specifically. Most boiler service guys don't do that without specific request.

Most forms of window restrictor as acceptable. Any windows can be retrofit. In terms if vents they can be installed in the wall or the window as long as they are directly to the outside world.

To the poster above. All rented houses or rooms in a rented house paying rent are subject to inspection, not just HAP. It is normally a case where in a house share access to the rest of the house is requested to ensure the standards are the same throughout, although it is more polite to arrange this with the landlord or tenants in advance. In bedrooms they would mostly just be looking for vents, radiators and window restrictors.

Can expect the same if a HAP property is a flat in a pre 63 building all other flats will usually be inspected Too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Just thought I’d piggy off back of this thread.

Received a call yesterday that hap had completed inspection on house I have. I wasn’t aware this was happening which I don’t have to be.

However it is one room rented to a HAP tenant there are six other tenants who are private tenants. The HAP inspector informed me they accessed some of the other bedrooms but not all. And that they will need access to all.

I was horrified by this. To turn up with no warning to other private tenants and expect to access their rooms. Is this legal?

Surely as they are not hap tenants they have no relationship to hap or it’s inspector.

Out of curiosity, are you saying you fully let out a property but the people share the costs and one person in one room is on HAP and the others a private rental agreement?? or do you let out the rooms seperately in the same house or seperate room/habitation in the same building, ie like a converted older building with seperate apartments/flats??

I believe the HAP conditions are more onerous than even for part 4, and in my opinion,not backed by legislation as they exceed part 4.
    I dont see how they can insist on accessing other tenants rented accomodation who are not applying for HAP, but they sound like they could be difficult.
    I didnt know on person could get HAP in a shared tenancy, ie if they are all on the same lease?

1874 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are you saying you fully let out a property but the people share the costs and one person in one room is on HAP and the others a private rental agreement?? or do you let out the rooms seperately in the same house or seperate room/habitation in the same building, ie like a converted older building with seperate apartments/flats??

I believe the HAP conditions are more onerous than even for part 4, and in my opinion,not backed by legislation as they exceed part 4.
    I dont see how they can insist on accessing other tenants rented accomodation who are not applying for HAP, but they sound like they could be difficult.
    I didnt know on person could get HAP in a shared tenancy, ie if they are all on the same lease?

Its Standard practice for the inspector to access the entire property at some stage, either initial inspection or on the reinspection! Or just out of the blue if they wanted even with no HAP tenants there. The inspector can inspect any and all rented accommodation and, to ensure consistency across a property will usually try to do the whole thing.

They aren't HAP inspectors, as they don't work for HAP. HAP inspections just suppliment their workload.

Thanks for the replies. That’s interesting. I assumed they were hap related and their powers came from the hap relationship. I thought under Gdpr they would have no right to request other tenants to give them access. Rooms are let separately, separately rental agreements. If I as landlord wanted to inspect the rooms I’d have to given written notice or else I’d be in breach of the tenancy agreement. Where as these with no relationship to the tenants other than the hap tenant turn up unannounced to the other tenants and demand to inspect.
    I understand what people are saying that it is not directly related to hap. However if the hap tenant was not there they would not inspect. As I had a case before where inspector rang to arrange inspection however when I advised that particular person was no longer living there they told me they didn’t need to inspect.

I’d love to know the law and where their powers come from and in particular where standards as suggested are above the minimum standards in rented accommodation laws.

Thanks for the replies. That’s interesting. I assumed they were hap related and their powers came from the hap relationship. I thought under Gdpr they would have no right to request other tenants to give them access. Rooms are let separately, separately rental agreements. If I as landlord wanted to inspect the rooms I’d have to given written notice or else I’d be in breach of the tenancy agreement. Where as these with no relationship to the tenants other than the hap tenant turn up unannounced to the other tenants and demand to inspect.
    I understand what people are saying that it is not directly related to hap. However if the hap tenant was not there they would not inspect. As I had a case before where inspector rang to arrange inspection however when I advised that particular person was no longer living there they told me they didn’t need to inspect.

I’d love to know the law and where their powers come from and in particular where standards as suggested are above the minimum standards in rented accommodation laws.

Hi,

You can Google this but inspectors are authorised under the Housing (Miscellaneous provisions) act 1992 section 17 to check rent books and section 18 for standards and to enter at all reasonable times any house to which the regulations apply. Thats the powers of entry in black and white. They will always have a copy of this authorisation with them.
    The regulations assessed during the inspection will be the Housing (standards for rented houses) regulations 2019. GDPR rules don't really apply in these instances as they are working in an enforcement role. Don't have the damn wording at this second but that's the gist.

As for the case where the house wasn't inspected when the HAP tenant moved? Well hap is prioritised due to the need to inspect within 8 months of it being implimented so maybe the workload was too high to inspect a non HAP property. This is actually 100% what happened most likely.

As for requesting above standards? I can't help with that the rented house standards regulations are like 7 pages long and fairly black and white!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

KneonK wrote: »
    Its Standard practice for the inspector to access the entire property at some stage, either initial inspection or on the reinspection! Or just out of the blue if they wanted even with no HAP tenants there. The inspector can inspect any and all rented accommodation and, to ensure consistency across a property will usually try to do the whole thing.

They aren't HAP inspectors, as they don't work for HAP. HAP inspections just suppliment their workload.

+1. All rental properties in Ireland can be inspected, there seems to be a misconception that only HAP tenancies are subject to this.

There are plans by 2021 that 25% of all private rentals in Ireland will be inspected every year, so landlords can expect to get a visit roughly every four years. Whether it happens is to be seen. At the moment the resources aren’t there and HAP appears to take priority.

Thanks for all the pointers, everyone has been very helpful. I was talking to the inspector, he is sticking by his guns.

Back to the original question. Can anyone recommend someone to fit the window vents or add wall vents? The house is in North Dublin City near the airport. I have moved out of Dublin so have to manage this remotely. I just we ant to get this closed out. PMs welcome is that suits better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

the_syco wrote: »

That child restrictor does not comply with the regs.The restrictor must be self re-engaging.just giving people a heads up on this as I have fitted many many of the correct restrictors for customers.I wanted to fit these but was told by many inspector,s they would not pass them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hello,

Original requester, ensure that you request your boiler person issues an annex E safety certificate. If you look at the wording on the letter under reg 12 you will see that it's requested specifically. Most boiler service guys don't do that without specific request.

Most forms of window restrictor as acceptable. Any windows can be retrofit. In terms if vents they can be installed in the wall or the window as long as they are directly to the outside world.

To the poster above. All rented houses or rooms in a rented house paying rent are subject to inspection, not just HAP. It is normally a case where in a house share access to the rest of the house is requested to ensure the standards are the same throughout, although it is more polite to arrange this with the landlord or tenants in advance. In bedrooms they would mostly just be looking for vents, radiators and window restrictors.

Can expect the same if a HAP property is a flat in a pre 63 building all other flats will usually be inspected Too!

There is a perception though that HAP standards are extra strict.

Is that simply down to non HAP properties simply not being checked and all inspection experiences been with HAP tenancies.

Or are inspectors going beyond remit when it's a HAP property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Ok re inspectors if so, but I am also mentioning that HAP conditions are more onerous, how does that work? do they inspect a property and apply different standards? Seems like its very inconvenient to let on a room by room basis and have one person on wanting or needing HAP, its likely that that brought the inspection forward.

Hi to everyone above.

I am honestly not sure where the perception that HAP has higher standards comes from, as it has no regulatory basis, and in my anonymous experience isn't the case.

I will say that more HAP inspections would be carried out normally than proactive as a rule. If you think about it logically there are so many HAP properties that must be done within 8 months of contract signing, and so little inspectors, HAP will be prioritised.

Though this may not be the case ongoing, as across the country landlords are probably now seeing contracted companies coming in and inspecting their properties, as each council rushes to meet new and exciting (and unachievable) NOAC targets!

Thousands more NON HAP properties are set to be inspected annually now!! So don't be surprised if you are a landlord and get a random report you didn't expect. At the very least it will end the "HAP more difficult standards than not" argument.

Advertisement