Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

• 21-04-2016 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK folks, thanks for your patience.

So I've got a link to a Google Spreadsheet with our current bugs and features tracking. I will be adding to that today based on what's been posted in the other thread, so if you've mentioned something and you don't see it there, then check it again later when I've updated it (should be this afternoon).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If nothing else, at least this level of transparency is welcome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I like to sort posts by most thanked when looking at a users posts or my own. This doesn't appear to be available. Mod facilities also appear limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Callan Beautiful Self-service

Latest posts, trending etc only shows a certain number of posts on the phone with no way of going to the next page.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The main issues for me:

1. No option to go to first unread post - marked as resolved in spreadsheet but the comment is "Clicking on a thread brings you to first page" - these things are not the same.
    1a. Related: cannot go to last post in a thread - this would be a poor second cousin to go to first unread but better than having no option other than scrolling through the entire thread to get to where you were.

2. No differentiation between threads with new posts vs. threads with no new posts - this is obviously a huge issue. Same applies to forums.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Maybe I'm going mad here, but when I'm on the boards.ie home page looking at latest threads, there doesn't appear to be an option to go to the latest post? It appears when I'm in a forum, but not from the home page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No drop down menu for followed threads.

No drop down menu for followed forums.

No go to first post option.

Continually switching from old skin to new. I can read followed threads and click to main F&F forum and then the buggering new skin appears and I have to go elsewhere to get to my followed threads again.:mad:

If I wanted the new skin, I would include it. I don't so stop forcing it on me!

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No mod tools on the new site?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

For the time being .... A "turn beta off" option on the beta side ?

If there is one I didn't see it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We still don't see stickied threads. Can we re-reg, troll and claim ignorance due to the lack of a charter being presented?

Why is it not on the bug list as it was highlighted last summer?
    weisses wrote: »
    For the time being .... A "turn beta off" option on the beta side ?

If there is one I didn't see it

Look for a "Legacy" link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We still don't see stickied threads. Can we re-reg, troll and claim ignorance due to the lack of a charter being presented?

It's badly hidden away in an area that you have to expand...

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

smash wrote: »

It's badly hidden away in an area that you have to expand...

image.jpg

It looks even worse on the Desktop. It's easy to miss off to the left of the page, when you expand that list it looks like a collection of tags and not thread titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Some shock to the system. As above, switching from new to old (desktop) version on the mobile.

Then clicking on the icon to go to the first unread post brings you to the first post.

Maybe these things seem small but they're inconvenient enough to make me reduce the amount I want to use the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

How do you do "New Posts"?

I thought of another thing - the red 1 notification for a new post in a followed thread just shows up randomly when there's no new posts - and went to edit my post by clicking on the pen icon but it doesn't do anything.

I'm on Android marshmallow and chrome browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How do you do "New Posts"?

Until this is included I'm sticking with the old (old) skin.

Also if you're not going to make the breadcrumbs links then at least put another back to Forum link at the top of the page

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The MyForums drop down doesn't show the stars next to forums with new posts in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Dav wrote: »
    OK folks, thanks for your patience.

So I've got a link to a Google Spreadsheet with our current bugs and features tracking. I will be adding to that today based on what's been posted in the other thread, so if you've mentioned something and you don't see it there, then check it again later when I've updated it (should be this afternoon).
    Add your reply here.The 'Add your reply here' text may get annoying for people, and they may not remember to delete 'Add your reply here.' from the text input box.
    (when quoting)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not sure why that happened - but when I edited my previous post to add "(when quoting)" it created a duplicate instance of the initial post. See above

Hmm.. it's gone now that page has refreshed!

Can't delete this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It says resolved on the spreadsheet, but it ain't -- clicking Legacy Site brings me to an "Oops" page, or it does nothing at all. I'm trapped here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

And clicking on my username, avatar, or even the edit icon in my last post does nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

And clicking on my username, avatar, or even the edit icon in my last post does nothing at all.

Do you recall what page you were on when you clicked the link? If you can check the URL and see if it points at boards.ie/vbulletin/... or boards.ie/b/... that'd be a help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just... What? What happened? I have used boards for 13 years or so now, and this is the first time I have ever logged on and thought "How the f*ck do I find where I want to go?".

I don't normally complain about updates to the site, but this is awful. Absolutely shockingly awful.

For some actually constructive feedback, the drop down lists are terrible.

A. I don't want the extra step to get to Feedback. Before it was: Hover over "Talk To..."; Click "Boards.ie", click Feedback. Now it's: Hover over "Talk To..."; Click "Boards.ie", wait for a new page to load; Click Feedback.

B. "My Forums". Laid out badly in a big line of text, and most importantly, no * to indicate unread posts. As a moderator, that feature is very important to me.

C. Ads. Ads everywhere. It used to be a moderator perk that we didn't have to see them, but now there's several huge ones on my screen. That's sh*tty. Having the option to turn ads off was the smallest amount of "thanks" that we asked for for giving up so much time and energy to moderate the site, so I strongly hope we can return to that ASAP.

D. The sticky header. I normally have it disabled. I like to discretely browse boards at work, and I prefer not to have 25% of my screen taken up with an glaringly obvious banner.

Faith wrote: »
    C. Ads. Ads everywhere. It used to be a moderator perk that we didn't have to see them, but now there's several huge ones on my screen. That's sh*tty. Having the option to turn ads off was the smallest amount of "thanks" that we asked for for giving up so much time and energy to moderate the site, so I strongly hope we can return to that ASAP.

Mods being treated like ordinary users (even if it is only by the software).

I cant help but snigger - sorry ;)

D. The sticky header. I normally have it disabled. I like to discretely browse boards at work, and I prefer not to have 25% of my screen taken up with an glaringly obvious banner.

You can disable it normally? How? Ive hated it since it appeared!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I thought it was a subscriber perk? 'N all 'n anyways they're really bugging me on beta and if they're here to stay even if you are paying not to see them, I won't be paying any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The "no ads for subscribers/mods" is on the list now along with the other stuff that's been posted on this thread so far. I'll probably have an updated list for you all tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I thought it was a subscriber perk? 'N all 'n anyways they're really bugging me on beta and if they're here to stay even if you are paying not to see them, I won't be paying any more.

Perhaps it was mods and subscribers? I'm not sure.
    You can disable it normally? How? Ive hated it since it appeared!

There used to be an option in your User CP.
    Another issue - multiquote functionality seems to be missing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement