Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1700 average in Sandyford for 2 bed?

• 08-04-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi folks,
    Looking through Daft for places in Sandyford the average asking price is around the 1700 mark for a 2 bed. Meanwhile to share in a 2-bed seems to have an average of around 600-700.

I've seen some ads up there for months in the past, so I wonder is it agencies and the like just putting it above market value aiming for the likes of people working in the nearby tech offices etc for possibly short terms who are willing to pay above the odds?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It's not massively above market rate TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

It's probably about right now. There's a lot of decent jobs in the area and it's on the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The sharing offerings are most likely to replace people who have left the apartment and the original lease would have been entered into some time ago. Rents have been rising steadily so it is not surprising that there is a gap between the price asked for new lettings and the price of existing units.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Supply and demand. The closer to big paying jobs, the higher the rent. But, that rent sounds about normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I've some friends in work looking to move into the area. Sounds about right from what I've heard from them so far. I live in the area too, but I bought last year so thankfully not at the mercy of rent increases anymore.

There are a number of half finished blocks in the area that hopefully some developer will come and take over soon, as more supply is badly needed. Not to mention that the half finished blocks are an eyesore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id be going for a 3 bed, 2 beds are very poor value for money in comparison... I haven't had to search on property on daft in over 6 months, but I cannot believe the prices, holy s**t! and this is coming from someone who rented a new 2 bed apartment in dundrum, up until about 6 months ago at market rent.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/stepaside/86-the-rectory-stepaside-dublin-1637113/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Id be going for a 3 bed, 2 beds are very poor value for money in comparison...

Third bedroom would be a matchstick box room anyway?

Third bedroom would be a matchstick box room anyway?
    not always...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Id be going for a 3 bed, 2 beds are very poor value for money in comparison... I haven't had to search on property on daft in over 6 months, but I cannot believe the prices, holy s**t! and this is coming from someone who rented a new 2 bed apartment in dundrum, up until about 6 months ago at market rent.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/stepaside/86-the-rectory-stepaside-dublin-1637113/

€1650 to be outside the M50... Jesus Wept.

€1650 to be outside the M50... Jesus Wept.

When did this become the big thing?
    Outside the m50 in south Dublin is different to outside the m50 in north Dublin.

For a start the m50 in south Dublin is only a few miles from the coast, and Sandyford in particular, has a 20 minute commute into town on the luas ( when they bother to work! )

It just seems a lot different to clonee, for example.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    When did this become the big thing?
    Outside the m50 in south Dublin is different to outside the m50 in north Dublin.

For a start the m50 in south Dublin is only a few miles from the coast, and Sandyford in particular, has a 20 minute commute into town on the luas ( when they bother to work! )

It just seems a lot different to clonee, for example.

I don't think its "a thing", probably more "my thing".

I know the Luas goes beyond Sandyford but personally the M50 has always been a bit of a line in the sand for me. I'm a bit of a townie, and personally its just a step too far.

Also, I get on the Luas at either Stillorgan/Kilmacud and its easily 20 mins from there to Stephens Green. Is considerably more once you're out around Leopardstown etc.

If you are getting that done just to be marginally inside the circle , well worth it to go a few hundred meters or a km beyond it, if you can get much better value ...

I don't think its "a thing", probably more "my thing".

I know the Luas goes beyond Sandyford but personally the M50 has always been a bit of a line in the sand for me. I'm a bit of a townie, and personally its just a step too far.

Also, I get on the Luas at either Stillorgan/Kilmacud and its easily 20 mins from there to Stephens Green. Is considerably more once you're out around Leopardstown etc.

Yea, I get it a bit further out, goes between 22 / 27 mins to town. I think that's a good commute though!
    Finglas is inside the m50 & it would take a lot longer to go from there to town.

Having said that, the area around Sandyford industrial estate, where loads of apartments are, is inside the m50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I think of the M50 like a modern river. There are a limited number of crossing points (bridges) and those crossing points tend to be congested and usually involve a bit of a detour. Basically you're restricted to 1 - 3 routes to reach your destination. Even if the physical distance is the same, the driving distance/congestion levels/time taken is often greater once you go outside the M50. If there's a problem on your nearest crossing point (e.g. a crash) you're suddenly very stuck. Inside the barrier, you can typically reroute yourself somehow, even if it's through a housing estate.

That doesn't apply quite so much to areas with good rail based public transport links, but for routes away from those rail lines, you're still affected.

That's why I personally tend to view the M50 as a line in the sand.

As noted Sandyford isn't really affected by those constraints and has most of the required amenities nearby so I'd personally be willing to spend more to live there then outside the M50.

Finglas has it's own lines in the sand in the form of the Tolka and Royal Canal which again have relatively few and restricted crossings adding to the difficulty of getting to the rest of the city. That poor connectivity contributes to it being a less desirable area to live, which then begins to cycle into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yea, I get it a bit further out, goes between 22 / 27 mins to town. I think that's a good commute though!
    Finglas is inside the m50 & it would take a lot longer to go from there to town.

Having said that, the area around Sandyford industrial estate, where loads of apartments are, is inside the m50

Yes of course, I was referring to an apartment in Stepaside for €1650 that was linked in the post I was commenting on.

The Cubes etc in the actual Sandyford Industrial estate are more money again.

I'm lucky to live slightly closer to town again and have great transport options I find. But that siad, I've also paid handsomely for the privilege.

The Luas does mean that areas of the southside have benefits massively over their north side counterparts, which is some pretty unfair urban planning. On a map, there are lots of places that look an equal distance to the city, but the Luas really changes the actual time it takes to get to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Crazy money for rent these days,I'd rather go on the dole and live a in tent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note: Mark Anthony please remember that this is Accommodation and property, helpful posts are preferred. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

It isn't considerably more, actually. It is 19 minutes from Stillorgan to St. Stephens Green and 25 minutes from Glencairn, for example.
    https://m.luas.ie/times/journey-times-calculator.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

MayBea wrote: »
    It isn't considerably more, actually. It is 19 minutes from Stillorgan to St. Stephens Green and 25 minutes from Glencairn, for example.
    https://m.luas.ie/times/journey-times-calculator.html

Stillorgan is 19minutes and Leopardstown Is 28minutes which represents an increase of 47% in the journey which is considerable.

However in the grand scheme of things ten minutes is not that considerable a period of time. I must have wasted two minutes writing this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The rent in the op is somewhat ridiculous. Claiming there are high paying jobs in the area is equally ridiculous. There's plenty of low paying jobs too. It's not the city center.

I would steer clear of the cubes too, overpriced with paper thin walls.

I'f you can, try a further location. Or at least hold off for something a little cheaper (1500).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Sandyford is an awful kip I wouldn't dream of paying anywhere near that for an apartment in what is let's face it an industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

1700 rent for a 2 bed in Sandyford sounds reasonable to me. The apartments in Dundrum (Rockfield/Blackthorn) are around the same price and they are beside a shopping centre and closer to town. I would choose them over Sandyford tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Sandyford is the perfect spot mountains 2k away sea 5k away town 20mins away.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Mod note: Mark Anthony please remember that this is Accommodation and property, helpful posts are preferred. Thanks

Apologies. My point which was poorly made and sarcastic was that people's default position is that South is good and North is bad. While I don't want to redail the thread with that and hence I completely understand the deletion of my previous post, it's causing a localised bubble in South Co. Dublin where as there is some great value in North and West Dublin.

If you need to live in Sandyford for work etc. it might be worth paying it. If you don't and commute on the DART line, look North for much better value IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Superhorse wrote: »
    Sandyford is an awful kip I wouldn't dream of paying anywhere near that for an apartment in what is let's face it an industrial estate.

+1

As someone who works in the area (and lived close by until last year) there's almost nothing in it except the business park/industrial estate. Closest main source of entertainment/decent shopping etc would be Dundrum (and I'm not a fan - Blanch SC is far better!)

€1700 to live next to a bunch of retail and office units is insane.. don't care how fast the LUAS is. Plus the traffic in the evenings is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Superhorse wrote: »

I wouldn't quite call it a kip but I agree it's mainly a large industrial estate. I work there and personally it wouldn't be where I want to live, especially with the prices of property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note:
    This thread is about rental prices in Sandyford. Please stick to the topic. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sandyford is a hot spot for tech & finance companies. There's loads of them around there. Of the tech jobs I was looking at recently on irishjobs.ie, the vast majority of them were based in Sandyford. Thus prices around there will be significant. €1700 was about right. I saw a one bed apartment there for rent at €1500 last year....

I'd much rather spend my money renting in the CC and commute out than live in Sandyford I have to admit. Each to their own though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

I'd much rather spend my money renting in the CC and commute out than live in Sandyford I have to admit. Each to their own though.

Unless you live in St Stephens Green, a commute from anywhere in the city centre could easily mean 15-20 minute walk, 5 minute wait, 20 minutes on the luas and another 5-10 to your office in Sandyford or 90 minutes a day. I'll take living in or near work and family and still have the convenience of being able to get into town easily for a night out.

Besides which, Sandyford isn't all that bad. The main thing is missing now is a bar.

Advertisement