Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 26: Dragon Egg

Options
  • 06-09-2015 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for being a little late with my recipe :o

Ok, this recipe I mix about quite a lot and you can adapt it to suit your tastes.

3 egg whites
    1 egg yolk
    Chorizo/bacon
    Cheese
    Seasonings like salt/pepper

Whisk your egg whites to stiff peaks and add seasoning, I normally just add salt and pepper. Make a 'nest' like so and add your cheese/bacon/- http://i.imgur.com/sVXddoC.jpg

Next place your egg yolk on top like so- http://i.imgur.com/oDLfWPQ.jpg
    And cover with your leftover meringue, make sure it's fully covered!

Bake it for about 8-10 minutes, until golden brown, at 175ºC/350ºF.
    If you don't want a runny egg yolk you can bake it longer, starting at 160ºC/320ºF for 8 minutes and finish it at 175ºC/350ºF.

Next you have your noms http://i.imgur.com/sBEIjqF.jpg

This also works really well with leftover spicy chili or spinach or dusting the outside with paprika.

(I had to take those photos off online as I never got round to taking pics of mine!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm definitely intrigued...
    Curious what unsweetened meringue would actually taste like for starters. Saturday brunch plans sorted!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ooh this looks interesting!

I've a toddler who would be very interested in Dragon Eggs. Or dinosaur eggs. Especially dinosaur eggs. That looks like a dinosaur egg to me *squints*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Fiendishly simply, yet I am sure utterly gorgeous. I'll add it to the list for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Interesting! We're going to give this a go for breakfast this weekend, I'll let you know how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Going to try these in the morning but are the ingredients listed just enough to make one Dragon Eye? And is the bacon raw or cooked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Going to try these in the morning but are the ingredients listed just enough to make one Dragon Eye? And is the bacon raw or cooked?

Yup that's ingredients for one dragon egg! The bacon is fried off, streaky tastes best in it. Or chorizo if you've any spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks Kovu,

The first thing I ever cooked was a white egg omelette with cheese and ham that I made for my mum as a Mothers Day breakfast when I was 7 or 8. This was it!

Mixed reaction here, kids wouldn't touch them, wife ate most of one, I had two! Very nice. :)

The only thing I'll say is you wouldn't want to be hungry! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We made these for breakfast this morning. It was a lot of faffing about for a mixed result. After 10 mins the yolk in the middle was still kind of cold so we had to stick them back in the oven for another couple of mins. We ate them and they were grand, but overall I found them too much work for what is essentially bacon and eggs. I'm glad I tried it but not sure we'll be doing them again!

hJCTPMb.jpg?1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

This looks rather intriguing. I might just have to try this out soon(ish).... I've just moved house so everything is a little (read: totally) all over the place and I can't find half the kitchen utensils (or the TV remote, but that's another issue) :P.

Advertisement