Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BiFold Doors - Folding Doors Direct Ireland??

• 02-09-2015 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Anyone have experience with Folding Doors Direct Ireland?

Looking around at a few suppliers - I've feedback on the likes of Dalgan, Munster Joinery but would really like to hear if anyone has first-hand experience of the above?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Feedback, good, bad or indifferent by PM only. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I have been researching large doors and have discounted the sliding folding type because of lack of weather resistance. If you are doing a retrofit in in a suburban location then they can work, in a rural location with any exposure to driving rain I would avoid. On a new build where air tightness is important they will struggle. Burglar resistance should also be checked.
    Ask the supplier what standards they meet, then check that the standard gives you the performance you require.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I also chose tilt and turn over the bi folding option for my 5.2m opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Locmaman

Thanks all,

Have weighed up the options and looking to go ahead with bi-fold's - if it comes in on budget and meets our needs of course.

Not much first-hand experience to be found on boards - any positive or negative tales from people who retrofitted these?

Locmaman wrote: »
    Thanks all,

Have weighed up the options and looking to go ahead with bi-fold's - if it comes in on budget and meets our needs of course.

Not much first-hand experience to be found on boards - any positive or negative tales from people who retrofitted these?

Negative - the running gear always breaks, every system I've ever heard of being installed broke. Expect to pay about €1k per meter run of door, sometimes more depending on finish and glazing spec.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your post - have a couple of quotes in and it'd be nearer 1500 per meter fitted but all depends on spec. Do you have them yourself?

Im sure its a case of the quality of product and standard of fitting that matters - all bifold doors can't be doomed to fail surely??

Could you pm me the suppliers/installers if you know them as it might help with who to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Are you planning to get aluminium, alu clad or uPVC?

That's for aluminium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kceire wrote: »
    Negative - the running gear always breaks, every system I've ever heard of being installed broke. Expect to pay about €1k per meter run of door, sometimes more

5 years in and no problems. 5mtr section
    Your price is about right

Borzoi wrote: »

Thanks for your post - always good to hear firsthand experience, whether positive or negative.

can you pm who you went with as supplier/installer?

• Advertisement

Borzoi wrote: »

Thanks. I always only hear the bad stories unfortunately. Good to see the goods ones still working. Maybe PM the op who you used as it might suit them.

Just an update on this - went with Munster Joinery after some serious shopping around. Had them in around start December 2015.

The windows themselves are great. The fitters on the day were not. The guys may have been just having a bad week, but they had the vibe of people who hated their job. Made a mess, broke one old window that was to be replaced. Broke a pane in one of the bifolds on fitting - and never made a note of it on the "sign off" sheet, so was up to me to look over all the work.

Besides the bad experience with the fitters, the doors are excellent and we are making good use of them. Glad we went with them instead of sliders. No leaks, and it's seen some serious rain this year! Went with triple glazed, which looking back I think is essential for Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Westfest

Locmaman wrote: »
    Just an update on this - went with Munster Joinery after some serious shopping around. Had them in around start December 2015.

The windows themselves are great. The fitters on the day were not. The guys may have been just having a bad week, but they had the vibe of people who hated their job. Made a mess, broke one old window that was to be replaced. Broke a pane in one of the bifolds on fitting - and never made a note of it on the "sign off" sheet, so was up to me to look over all the work.

Besides the bad experience with the fitters, the doors are excellent and we are making good use of them. Glad we went with them instead of sliders. No leaks, and it's seen some serious rain this year! Went with triple glazed, which looking back I think is essential for Irish weather.
    Just wondering if you would mind letting me know how you got on? What was the size of the windows, cost and suppliers?

We are looking to get bi-fold for a 3m opening

Can you PM me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement