Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weds 2nd Sept: Vuelta 2015 stage 11: Andorra la Vella – Cortals d’Encamp 138km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the organisers or cycling authorities are concerned about equity in a race when big budget teams give their riders a boost then why don't they pay for helicopter transfers for all riders, or minimum 4 star hotels with air conditioning...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If the organisers or cycling authorities are concerned about equity in a race when big budget teams give their riders a boost then why don't they pay for helicopter transfers for all riders, or minimum 4 star hotels with air conditioning...

But that would affect profitability ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I am absolutely dying to see this stage. If Tom Dumoulin is dominant, I will be nodding along to Chaves's observation that Dumoulin had an "unbelievable day, unbelievable" on stage 9 v Froome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

pelevin wrote: »
    It's great how the super-rich 'corporation' sports teams can gain advantages over their rivals. Gives one a warm fuzzy feeling inside when one thinks of the plebs in their buses.

Good for them I say. They should seek to take benefits any way they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

kyeev wrote: »
    I am absolutely dying to see this stage. If Tom Dumoulin is dominant, I will be nodding along to Chaves's observation that Dumoulin had an "unbelievable day, unbelievable" on stage 9 v Froome.

Here's the actual quote - http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/chaves_i_promised_to_leave_my_skin_on_the_road/
    . He did an unbelievable ride today. He is a really strong guy. I want to say congratulations to him. He won the stage and the jersey, that's unbelievable.

Chavez even said in the same interview that his own team, Orica Greenedge, had an
    unbelievable ride again today

He clearly likes the word unbelievable. It sounds completely different in context than when you misquote it out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Thanks for researching that quote. I still don't like the cut of Dumoulin's jib. If he's hammering up the road tomorrow beside Quintana and Froome, I am definitely going to raise my eyebrows

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Thanks for researching that quote. I still don't like the cut of Dumoulin's jib. If he's hammering up the road tomorrow beside Quintana and Froome, I am definitely going to raise my eyebrows

Why? Dumoulin has said he's lost weight coming into the Vuelta and maintained his power. Dumoulin's regular weight is around 70/71kg. Froome race weight is around 67kg and Dumoulin is looking pretty lean compared to his usual weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

You along with the rest of the world.... but it's not going to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

godtabh wrote: »
    Why would sky ask him to put on weight?

Need to ask Darth Brailsford that one ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Timely reminder for everyone - doping speculation is prohibited, even if it's ever so subtle. I will be carding such posts with bans for repeat offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tinkoff-Saxo tweeted this photo of a cassette on one of their bikes for tomorrow.

I count 32 teeth on the largest sprocket.

CN07ikvXAAAbPQ6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

happytramp wrote: »
    You along with the rest of the world.... but it's not going to happen.

I am not sure that we will see the end of Dumoulin tomorrow

As I said he weighs about the same as Nico and can push more power on the incline it seems

I wonder what his power to weight was on Sunday ...bet it was way above the old 6W/kg threshold that all the pseudo scientists bang on about

The climbs tomorrow are hard but there are plenty downhills in between, The stage is also relatively short and as a World class TT he knows how to suffer

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 -
    @nedboulting and believe it or not, like every other stage it is harder then the profile suggests. #5500m+

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 -
    Really hope weather is good for 2moros vuelta stage. Really amazing roads/scenery. Not sure anybody will finish if it's bad #epic #andorra

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Not moving into the speculation realm but the "6W/kg threshold" figure is just an arbitrary one, not based on peer reviewed data or accepted by WADA.
    Seems that if something is mentioned often enough people start accepting it as fact....

RobFowl wrote: »
    Need to ask Darth Brailsford that one ;)

Since we can't ask Brailsford anything ...what does that mean ?

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Since we can't ask Brailsford anything ...what does that mean ?

Nico put on 2 kilos because Dave Brailsford told him to..

So I was looking for as hard a stage in recent history and this is the one I came up with as the nearest in spiky mountain tops

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=116882&c=8

Look who came in 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Froome race weight is around 67kg

Froome was 66kg at the Dauphine and 64/65 kg at the Tour.

Killer stage tomorrow! How much TV coverage will there be? Remember 2012 and everybody missed Contador's attack... something similar could happen tomorrow. However, if it turns out as hard as it looks then we may not miss anything as the riders might simply chose to wait until the final climb.

If its pissing rain, gawd knows what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We've stung before with stages that looked great on paper, TV coverage was for pretty much all the stage, and nothing bloody happened until the last few k.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Froome was 66kg at the Dauphine and 64/65 kg at the Tour.

Killer stage tomorrow! How much TV coverage will there be? Remember 2012 and everybody missed Contador's attack... something similar could happen tomorrow. However, if it turns out as hard as it looks then we may not miss anything as the riders might simply chose to wait until the final climb.

He was 67.5kg for the famous stage 10 during the tour according to Tim Kerrison. But then again, I suppose it's one of the exact figures teams and riders might want to keep a bit quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

MPFGLB wrote: »
    So I was looking for as hard a stage in recent history and this is the one I came up with as the nearest in spiky mountain tops

Meh, it's no Des Hanlon.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

velo.2010 wrote: »

Probably add about half a kg in my estimation.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Inquitus wrote: »
    Take the mobile kitchens and chefs for example, this was instituted by Sky and then copied by alot of the top teams, and will always be way beyond the means of some teams.

thought BMC were the first to do that...

edit : looks like garmin had one in 2010 !

http://slipstreamsports.com/2010/06/27/tour-prep-inside-the-service-course/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Mikel Landa to beat Frank Schleck is 8/13 on PP. Bit of a gimme I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mikel Landa to beat Frank Schleck is 8/13 on PP. Bit of a gimme I think.

I was considering taking Schleck tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

thought BMC were the first to do that...

edit : looks like garmin had one in 2010 !

http://slipstreamsports.com/2010/06/27/tour-prep-inside-the-service-course/

My point was more someone will do it and then only the others that can afford it will follow suit, money talks, and the rest of ye can eat soggy overcooked pasta in the 2 star hotel buffet!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I was considering taking Schleck tbh!

I guess we'll only know for sure tomorrow, but I can't see any reason to think Frank can get anywhere near Landa based on his performances this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Schleck has been shockingly poor so far for someone who was 'targeting' the GC.

The only risk with the bet I see is that Landa has said that his role now is purely to work for Aru. So whenever he has emptied the tank, he will take it very handy to the finish.

That should still be enough to beat Schleck though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In fact first I realised he was actually in the race was when his name was mentioned as being part of a pile up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The marginal gains didn't accrue yesterday - from Nico's diary in the Irish Independent

"After about an hour of bobbing around in the wind, however, the pilot informed us that we were flying towards ...... Reus Airport, near Salou. Here we waited for about 40 minutes as the team cars made a detour to collect us and complete the journey, which took another three hours.
    We didn't arrive at our hotel until quarter past midnight"

Advertisement