Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Golf Society - Captains Prize, 19th Sept, 2pm, Fota Island, Deerpark Course

• 28-08-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭

Well it's hard to believe how quick that year has flown by and now here we are at the final event, the Captains Prize, my Captains Prize and a day I am very much looking forward to. The last time I was at Fota Island I was dressed along with my wife and kids like a packet of liquorice allsorts! I have never played the course there, but having stayed in the hotel a few years ago and from walking around the place at the Irish Open last year I know we are in for a special day out.

Fota%20Island%20Golf%20clubhouse_2.JPG

Yet again, with thanks to NRC Taxis, the outing will be subsidised as the previous 2 have been. It will be €45 for members who have played at least 3 of the first 6 events this year & other Members will pay €50, plus of course the €2.00 if you want to enter the 2's club.

Now for the difficult bit. As you all know, outing numbers have been up significantly this year on previous years. As bookings were initially made based on last years numbers it has led to a few hiccups, all of which we managed to overcome so far. We initially booked Fota for 28 players and were given 7 slots on the tee for 1 hour. I have been in touch with Fota to increase the numbers but unfortunately they are booked out for that day. However they do feel we will get 32 out in the time we have been allocated and will also keep in touch if their other bookings change. We might therefore be given some extra spots at some stage between now and the 19th, but we equally may not. So that means 2 things.

Teamer notifications were sent out a few weeks ago now and not everyone has replied as of yet, but we currently have 33 players booked in, so I am asking if there is anyone who is not 100% committed to attending, to let me know. Worst case scenario is that one person who has booked in will not be able to play on the day, a scenario that I have been dreading and really hope does not happen. One person from the 33 and anybody who accepts Teamer messages from here on in will be put on a standby list, and will only get a game on the day if Fota come up with some last minute spots for us.

As they are happy to let 32 out in the time it would normally take 28 to tee off, I am asking everyone to be on their best behaviour and be there well in advance of your tee time and not to delay in teeing off. If we can all get off the first tee nice and quick it should ensure that all 32 players get off in our allotted time.

I can only hope that Fota can come up trumps for us and that this situation does not detract from the day or the year overall.

I'll sign off now and await the backlash :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Macker1

Screen-Shot-2013-02-26-at-21.57.17.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Will hopefully be collecting a Green Pennant after Athlone has won the Senior Cup that day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnny_cahill

So what's the deal after golf in fota, we going on a session , do we book our own accommodation or what's the Craic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So what's the deal after golf in fota, we going on a session , do we book our own accommodation or what's the Craic

Yes we are going out in Cork. I've been asking for months for whoever wants to stay over so you missed the boat at this stage.

Don't worry I'll get another boat on the river lee
    What hotel are use staying in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only a browser here, but played the course back in May, was in great condition, a great place for an event like this.

It's same day as opening game of rugby world cup too, you might get away with the numbers that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Do you have to wear golf trousers in Fota ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Do you have to wear golf trousers in Fota ?

Ya thinking of playing naked?!!! Just make sure your finished before me dude!!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Ya thinking of playing naked?!!! Just make sure your finished before me dude!!!! :):)

He wants to be sure he can watch you teeing off.
    I'm wondering where you are going to keep your ball marker !!

oK that was too much of an in joke.

Do they have burgers - even a chicken curry ? ;)

Joking aside - is it 4 balls lads.

I guess - you know who you are out with by looking at table - handy you are leading in a way Seve.

Looking forward to all this - as basically working flat out every day at moment.

• Advertisement

So can someone tell me what hotel the majority are staying in please cos according to Steve I missed the boat

So can someone tell me what hotel the majority are staying in please cos according to Steve I missed the boat

River Lee.

Hopefully it's the same place seve said at the start of the year and in every round thread so far!!!!!!!!! Missed the boat, are ya even at the port dude?!!!!!
    Only joking, it's the River Lee. Pm seve as he's getting a deal on the rooms.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Hopefully it's the same place seve said at the start of the year and in every round thread so far!!!!!!!!! Missed the boat, are ya even at the port dude?!!!!!
    Only joking, it's the River Lee. Pm seve as he's getting a deal on the rooms.

Only thing - if you do get a boat , we couldn't be in a better place for you , could also sail to Fota.

Sorry - long day :D

Mayo draw, what the hell was that all about.

Hope for anyone far behind in Jug - never give up.

Will be walking around the wildlife park tomorrow. I'll do a bit of reccy for ye ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Played there for the first time ever in the intermediate scratch cup yesterday and I can genuinely say it's the best & nicest course I ever played. What a treat. Enjoy guys.

Edit: I'd nearly be tempted to make an appearance but I see you're struggling to accommodate everyone as it stands.

That's a great welcome for a newcomer, totally uncalled for and necessary comment.

A newcommer who has been here since 2010 and has played in nearly every society event so far??? Sorry now, but I know this lad for a few years and he will know I was joking. Sorry to spoil your fun.

Cheers Charlie
    Ok Steve, can you please get me on list for hotel booking or can I ring and get discount rate myself
    Thanks

Cheers Charlie
    Ok Steve, can you please get me on list for hotel booking or can I ring and get discount rate myself
    Thanks

OK. you are in, it's €70 pay me at the golf as i will be sorting everything out with the hotel beforehand.

last call for anyone else. i'm confirming numbers with the hotel today

Cheers Steve I'll even throw in some free colour catcher if you want

• Advertisement

Cheers Steve I'll even throw in some free colour catcher if you want

might need it.... things could get messy :D

Lads - I've two Dunlop balls I won - if you want to put them forward as a prize.

Word of warning - Poppy only uses , brand new perfect clean Pro-v1s.

Are the results up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Are the results up yet.

Who won the gross?

Who won the gross?

:p Hard call since Rikand retired. I hear he fell, even more in love and packed in golf.

All joking aside.

Will be hard picks for the captain this year. Not an easy task.

There will be many people who played well - just on outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Not just saying this because you are in society j.

But the flybys are absolutely class.

I think j should lose 3 shots if that is flowing in his head on tee box.

:p Hard call since Rikand retired. I hear he fell, even more in love and packed in golf.

I retired cause ye werent doing grosses anymore ;)

I'll have to come back next year so, lol

• Advertisement

Well just ten days of prep left now guys. Who is wore out with practice? Who feels confident? I'm starting to think of the Team now, doing pairings, maybe even a bit of practice somewhere? Who is in, who is out and who is on the fence ;)

I've no golf this week till Sat and probably wont hit any balls from then till we reach Fota. :(

I hope the Cork lads and lassies have a good nights entertainment planned for us :D

Advertisement