Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

wordpress site problem

Options
  • 28-05-2015 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Hi... just a question regarding a Wordpress site I was updating. I made one small change to the front page which was to change the wording on a paragraph of text, and re-sizing an image.. a few hours later the site disappeared, won't load etc. It did come back briefly last night, but today there is no sign of it.

I have tried clearing my browser cache and clearing cookies, history etc.

I can't access the wp-admin page.

I can't access the wp-login.php page.

I do not know the ftp login username or password.

The guy that designed the site back in 2013 is not contactable. He is not on FB, his number is disconnected and his website is down.

The hosting company will not release any information unless I provide security details.

I spent a couple of hours trawling through google last night looking for answers but to no avail... what are my options?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I would be planning to start again if I were you, you may be able to recover some of your previous content from Google cache.

If you're lucky, it's a temporary hosting problem and your site will re-appear. If you're even lucker your designer might re-appear and sort things out for you.

I assume the hosting is in your designers name, that would explain why the hosting company won't entertain you. Is the domain in your name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Graham wrote: »
    I would be planning to start again if I were you, you may be able to recover some of your previous content from Google cache.

If you're lucky, it's a temporary hosting problem and your site will re-appear. If you're even lucker your designer might re-appear and sort things out for you.

I assume the hosting is in your designers name, that would explain why the hosting company won't entertain you. Is the domain in your name?

The hosting is in the designer's name... so the hosting company will not release any information. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is a temporary hosting problem. Surely re-sizing an image wouldn't bring down the entire site and not allow me to access the admin page?

The hosting is in the designer's name... so the hosting company will not release any information. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is a temporary hosting problem. Surely re-sizing an image wouldn't bring down the entire site and not allow me to access the admin page?

Without knowing your specific setup, theme, what you did and how you did it I couldn't tell you one way or the other if it's a result of something you did.

Generally speaking, changes immediately followed by a vanishing site are not just coincidences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

This is awful and hilarious all at once. Sounds like he pulled the site. Were there any outstanding bills or non-technical issues with the developer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Fenster wrote: »
    This is awful and hilarious all at once. Sounds like he pulled the site. Were there any outstanding bills or non-technical issues with the developer?

I dont know to be honest.. mysteriously, the site has re-appeared and everything is back to normal. The designer's website is still down though, and he can't be contacted on any of his numbers... maybe there was some sort of falling out alright.

• Advertisement

I dont know to be honest.. mysteriously, the site has re-appeared and everything is back to normal. The designer's website is still down though, and he can't be contacted on any of his numbers... maybe there was some sort of falling out alright.

Now would be the time to make alternative arrangements for your website before it vanishes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

just back it up in case it disappears again

Advertisement