Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Were in bonus territory now. But we should take these opportunities and go all out to win the league. There is a hunger about us that I haven’t seen in us in a long time. A young hungry team. With no fears. No baggage on their shoulders. Throw in the experience of Brick and Moran aswell. Hard to beat it. Reminds me a bit of Clare in 2013. A talented young team that no one expected to blossom for a few years. See where it got them. Yes I am getting ahead of myself. But my point is Clare haven’t shown the same level of hunger and intensity since. Its something that’s hard to maintain. Kilkenny are the masters at it. But while were in this zone, this winning streak, we need to cherish it. Forget about 2 or 3 years. We are here and now. Forget the Munster championship. Lets go for the league like our life depends on it. We don’t know how long this bandwagon will keep on rolling for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

Same size

Nowlan Park 145 x 88
    Thurles 145 x 90
    Croke park 145 x 88

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Orizio wrote: »
    Need to return to 15 vs 15 and bring back the old swashbuckling style. Its Waterford's tradition.

Unfortunately for Waterford we never won an All Ireland playing that way in the last 20 years. Would you rather win ugly or not win at all? Having said that though we have a talented young team and i believe that we will adjust the way we play as the year progresses. I think that Derek McGrath is trying to build confidence and that won't happen if we're shipping 3/4 goals a game. As confidence builds our style of play will reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Still on a buzz from the game which will probably last into the middle of the week at least. I know it may only be the league but it's great to see our lads express themselves and do so well. There definately is s hunger and willingness to work your socks off for the team and long may it last.
    Moran, Maurice, Barron, Paudie, Tadhg, Fives all had fantastic games amonst others. With Darragh Fives and potentially Shane Bennett coming in the team can only get stronger.

My only worry is that we've basically revealed our hand already and teams will have their homework done on us come championship. In saying that Tipp knew the type of game we'd play before a ball was pucked and didn't seem to have a plan b when we were on top.
    I'd love to see us go all out for the league now, not often we see our teams lift too many trophies. I can't wait for the next 2 months!

Well done lads and management team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hope there's a good crowd following for the final, well deserved by the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Excellent result, great performance, and bundles of character. We started well against the wind, which I believe was much stronger than most think and was the reason for what so many perceived as being poor wides, then conceded two goals, steadied the ship and clawed our way back, went four points up coming into the final furlong and then left Tipp back to draw level but still had the character to drive on an get the winner. So much for inexperience, this team has lots of characters.

Major worry for me was the way in the last 10 minutes or so we really fell back the field and gave Tipp acres of spaces to take short puck outs, would have rathered see us apply pressure a bit further up the field as we had been doing. Couple of things for me yesterday:

Maurice is a an out an out half forward, he is a ball winner, he likes the additional space, while he doesn't have that initial burst of pace, the is a hard man to stop when he gets moving and can score for fun.

Dunford gets through a huge amount of work out the field but showed his true worth in having him close to goal, he carries a real threath there so the more we can keep him in there the better.

Devine, think this lad has real potential, has lost weight and looks much more mobile than in the past, is a big man with a good hand and puts himself about willing to take the belt, but has a nice touch and not frightened to go for goal Was very unlucky yesterday not to have registered one.

Have not been the biggest fan of McGrath's tactics but will be the first to say, the results say it all. Lads say we are relying heavily on Paudi's frees taking but that is because we are drawing fouls, which if not yielded might leads to a lot more scores from play. I think is part also of we working the ball into more dangerous positions forcing the foul to come in many ways.

For my I would love to see us go all out for a league title, and think that is what McGrath will do, who gives a sh1te about showing our hand. Winning breads confidence and this is only learning its' trade. They are capable of much more. Any who thinks Cork don't care should have a look at JBMs reaction at full time yesterday, you would swear he won the All Ireland and don't tell that was just because of the comeback, it is all about winning!!!!!.

Roll on Sunday week in Thurles and as Davy would say "hats off to the lads and management"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Tom De-VINE or Tom Di-VEEN?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Congratulations also to the Waterford Camogie team who beat Kildare yesterday (1-15 to 1-7) to qualify for the National League Division 2 final against Laois on May 3. There has been mention of the Division 1 final (Cork v Galway) being played with the National Hurling League final, so wouldn't it be great if they were to play the Division 2 final on the same programme in a triple-bill? And wouldn't it be great to have Waterford playing in Division 1 next year? There seems to be great work going on in camogie in the county, with the minor team competing at A level this year (and being quite competitive).

Best of luck also to the Waterford Ladies Football team who won all their seven games in division 3 of the league, and who play Roscommon in the semi-final next weekend. They have a new manager this year who seems to have given things a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

deiseach wrote: »
    Tom De-VINE or Tom Di-VEEN?
    Devine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Just after watching the Cork Dublin game, that Cork full back line is shocking, if Dublin had better forwards...which we have, they could have been well out of sight. I think it's going to be a shootout when we play the sweeper system. I know they played terrific yesterday with the 2 man full forward line, but if we play Bennett Dunford and Shanahan in that full forward line, imo they will clean up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thurles 3.30 sun 3 may

No match before it as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Congrats to Waterford yesterday, seemed to want the win a bit more than us. Impressed with Barron midfield and the half backs. All excellent ball players & Austin Gleeson looks like the real deal. De Burcha is a bit of an unsung hero, very solid. Coughlan was well minded with players in front of him but later in the year he could be caught out, if Callanan was supplied more ball I think he could have been exposed. Moran is still one of the most consistent hurlers in the country & Brick is still producing. Wouldn't be a big fan of Maurice Shanahan but he hurled well yesterday & had Paul Curran in a lot of trouble before he was moved and then replaced after being taken for a goal by Dunford. O Keefe is an excellent goalie & hurler in general, he looks comfortable coming out with a ball unlike Gleeson in our own goal and can break a tackle.

Thought Barry Kelly was a bit hard on us with a few calls but then again it was repeat offenders Paddy Stapleton, Conor O Mahoney and Curran who were being punished. With a few of our first choice backs returning from injury there is still a lot of positives for us to take out of the league but it will feel like one we left behind unfortunately. We have 9 or 10 lads to return to full time action soon enough hopefully and we have plenty of time to rebuild before first round of the championship.

Would like to see ye go on and win it now, very impressed with McGrath as a manager and a person. Fantastic gesture from him to present O Shea with flowers for Noel McGrath and he gave him a call during the week too. Very decent & thoughtful of him and the Waterford County Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Who said this would be a stroll in the sun for Tipp ; you must have forgotten that Tipp got a lucky, late goal in last year's league match to beat a poor Waterford side and did W'ford not beat Tipp in the Sports Field the year before ?

It was great to be in Nowlan Park yesterday (and what a fine stadium it is). People might say that Tipp weren't really bothered ; I just think they were too complacent throughout, thinking they could turn on the style when they felt like it. You can be sure that Tipp wanted some bit of silverware to make up for the numerous beaten finals in recent times (against KK, admittedly) but I would expect a much sterner challenge if we meet again this year.

What was confirmed yesterday (among other things and no particular order) :
    Jamie Barron has some engine ; Mahony is the most reliable freetaker we've ever had ;
    Maurice is coming of age ; De Burca oozes class (he moves like an ice skater) and its reassuring to have him hovering in front of the full back line.

For the all the talent and skill that Gleeson has, someone needs to take him aside and tell him not to be swinging wildly overhead so often ... he's either going to decapitate someone and/or get himself sent off (as in last year's County Final). Anyway, the sooner we get him into the fowards the better, as he has an assassins instinct .... Gleeson, a fully fit Stephen Bennett, Dunford, Shane Bennett (and Patrick Curran in time) ; what a foward line that would make ... now you're talking All Irelands.

'Salad days' (refer Shakespeare) are hear again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

I would be hopeful that unlike some posters that Waterford will win. I expect a full blooded encounter ,a sort of Championship feel to the game. We are very strong in every position and can match them in skill also. I think our tackling and workrate is slightly better than them at the moment. Tom Devine might be the key man late on in the game. Waterford 1 -17 Tipperary 0-15.

Congratulations to all the players and management team on a terrific result. It was all I had hoped for and more or less expected. I am going to analyse the game later on. Tipperary are a very good side and scored one of the best goals you are likely to see which saw them race into a big lead but we never panicked and chipped away until we were only three down at the break.

The management reacted well to where we were getting hurt with one fairly simple move. Derek and Dan must be very pleased with the contribution of Fintan O'Connor and likewise Fergal O'Brien who is another fabulous addition and I have never seen a Waterford squad as fit and healthy as this one.

The impending return of Darragh Fives will further enhance this already burgeoning group of players and in my opinion he has the potential to be one of the best centre backs in the country. He is a terrific decision maker and has vision to boot. Bringing Darragh in centre back could trigger the release of Aussie Gleeson up to wing forward which I feel will only enhance the entire team. Tadhg De Burca can fit seamlessly into the wing back position.

I also hope the rumours circulating around Nolan Park yesterday that Connor Gleeson and Patrick Curran are about to join the senior squad in the next few days are true. The former is developing at a rate of knots and is a very serious corner back in the making. Shane Bennett will be available soon also.

The future is now.

Congratulations to all the players and management team on a terrific result. It was all I had hoped for and more or less expected. I am going to analyse the game later on. Tipperary are a very good side and scored one of the best goals you are likely to see which saw them race into a big lead but we never panicked and chipped away until we were only three down at the break.

The management reacted well to where we were getting hurt with one fairly simple move. Derek and Dan must be very pleased with the contribution of Fintan O'Connor and likewise Fergal O'Brien who is another fabulous addition and I have never seen a Waterford squad as fit and healthy as this one.

The impending return of Darragh Fives will further enhance this already burgeoning group of players and in my opinion he has the potential to be one of the best centre backs in the country. He is a terrific decision maker and has vision to boot. Bringing Darragh in centre back could trigger the release of Aussie Gleeson up to wing forward which I feel will only enhance the entire team. Tadhg De Burca can fit seamlessly into the wing back position.

I also hope the rumours circulating around Nolan Park yesterday that Connor Gleeson and Patrick Curran are about to join the senior squad in the next few days are true. The former is developing at a rate of knots and is a very serious corner back in the making. Shane Bennett will be available soon also.

The future is now.

Jesus we have too much talent there might not be enough room. I'd say our intermediate team will be strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus we have too much talent there might not be enough room. I'd say our intermediate team will be strong

:pac:

Though I did think from what I read in the papers etc today that Waterford weren't given enough praise and respect for an absolutely massive result

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Though I did think from what I read in the papers etc today that Waterford weren't given enough praise and respect for an absolutely massive result

Sure it nearly pained Eddie Brennan to compliment us on League Sunday :pac:

It is a point looking at players to come back though. Who would you drop to fit some of them in. None of the starters deserve not to be there but theres a few players not starting who probably should be......
    Its a great problem to have I guess!

I'd say the senior hurling county championship round 1 and 2 will be played the weekends of 8/9/10 may and 15/16/17 may and we might play 1 or 2 challenge games the following weekends

Would not mind playing kilkenny in a challenge or Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Just after watching the Cork Dublin game, that Cork full back line is shocking, if Dublin had better forwards...which we have, they could have been well out of sight. I think it's going to be a shootout when we play the sweeper system. I know they played terrific yesterday with the 2 man full forward line, but if we play Bennett Dunford and Shanahan in that full forward line, imo they will clean up
    I'd have to agree with that school of thought but hopefully from cork view point Ellis is fit so Mcdonnell goes to four with o Neill or else Burke for kearney
    O Neill unfortunately in poor form but once left there not full back he's big game player
    Shananan could do serious damage to cork Full back line if gets ball but that's imo cork saving grace I can't see Waterford changing from two man inside line to three man orthodox line

However if waterford choose to and mcgrath is brave enough to change he's system cork full back line huge worry imo

The Waterford full back imo is not rock solid either but has been saved by the sweeper system
    Tough call for Waterford in imo to score goals could actually concede goals as horgan and cadogan or Paudie or luke as subs with good ball have goals in them if waterford loose their sweeper
    The test for Waterford is to find balance between defence and attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Looking forward to championship v cork but really looking forward to U21 v. Cork

serious experience and talent for an underage team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Kevin Moran was absolutely fantastic yesterday - the captaincy is really bringing out the best in him he hurled his socks off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

The future is now.

I don't think that there is any need to move TdeB - it will be great to have fives back but he hasn't played that much in nearly two years, it is a nit much to expect him to slot in Centre back - but great to have in reserve for later in the summer.

It would be great if Patrick Curran was called up - he is a beautiful hurler, I have seen him playing a lot of games and he is lethal - if he gets on the ball you are basically thinking right this is point straight away.... he can always make space for himself and get his strike away.... there is the touches of a Joe Deane about him... he always puts in a shift as well, he is a great tackler always gets a hurley or a block in (thats how his goal came about in the minor final)... he must be a nightmare to mark - even if the corner back wins the ball he can rob it off him - sometimes its like the corner backs are picking up the ball for him.

I never had Conor Gleeson down as a corner back but another great young player.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Paddy Curran went to town against James Stephens a few weeks ago and is flying at the moment. Yes he would be some addition to the squad(and there are 1 or 2 more that could strengthen it aswell)but to be honest with the system Waterford are playing i am not sure he would flourish. Apparently he's still not making himself available unless there has been developments recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Mikey Kearney stretchered off tonight in CIT v.UCC Cork County Championship game

Match stopped for 15 mins

Hope he's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭seananigans

I'd have to agree with that school of thought but hopefully from cork view point Ellis is fit so Mcdonnell goes to four with o Neill or else Burke for kearney
    O Neill unfortunately in poor form but once left there not full back he's big game player
    Shananan could do serious damage to cork Full back line if gets ball but that's imo cork saving grace I can't see Waterford changing from two man inside line to three man orthodox line

However if waterford choose to and mcgrath is brave enough to change he's system cork full back line huge worry imo

The Waterford full back imo is not rock solid either but has been saved by the sweeper system
    Tough call for Waterford in imo to score goals could actually concede goals as horgan and cadogan or Paudie or luke as subs with good ball have goals in them if waterford loose their sweeper
    The test for Waterford is to find balance between defence and attack

I'm pretty sure everyone knows what you are saying(unless you are quoting) is your opinion, if you feel the need to state this ,once per post is fine

I'm pretty sure everyone knows what you are saying(unless you are quoting) is your opinion, if you feel the need to state this ,once per post is fine

Grammar style with respect is different for every one
    I'm more interested talking hurling okay just my opinion

http://www.the42.ie/noel-mcgrath-tipperary-waterford-2059580-Apr2015/
    Very nice gesture by Waterford and mcgrath
    Credit due
    League final may 3rd in Thurles at 3.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

If you could only pick one game to beat the Rebels in. Would it be League Final or Munster Semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ha I was thinking exactly that yesterday and I know somebody else brought it up on here. It's actually a really hard one to pick. A league title is not to be sneezed at and if we were to lose to Cork in June we'd still have the safety net of the qualifiers.
    But a shot at a Munster final and guaranteed AI quarter final at a minimum and hurling into late summer (which would do our lads the world of good getting plenty of championship experience under the belts) is very tempting too.
    I actually couldn't decide which one I'd rather win! If pushed to it....maybe championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'd rather go out and bulldose them in both! I'm sure the team are thinking that too. As good as the win vs Tipp is we've won nothing yet and we should be keeping the feet on the ground. But since you asked, league win as we're so close to doing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement