Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stephen Fry and Gay Byrne

• 30-01-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Expect a complaint to be made against RTE for allowing such comments against god :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bloody hell, the gurning head on gay byrne is hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can tell Gay is really annoyed by his comments.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bloody hell, the gurning head on gay byrne is hard to watch.

Don't worry, they'll be a gap next week when he retires for the 50th time and doesn't show up for 7 days after retiring.

But he'll be back to do the gay byrne gun show and he'll be back out of retirement as quick as a flash by mid Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

gay byrne is hard to watch.

agreed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Perfectly reasonable, I've always said that even if that god existed it was not worthy of following, in fact anybody that demands worship should not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Not able to youtube, can anyone give me a brief summary?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

That is a great clip.

You could listen to Stephen Fry all day and he would never repeat himself.

I love how Gay Byrne's smug question "you think your going to get in saying that" is just batted away by Fry's response.

I think when Gay sits back in his chair with a face of contempt, is completely disrespectful. How dare someone disagree with him but i dont watch the show so he might always be like that when he is listening intently.

I probably will watch this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The intentions of any god who created a universe with gay byrne in it really have to be questioned!

That being said he did once stop his car and change a wheel for a girl I know after some awards show or other- she said he was a perfect gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

lazygal wrote: »

Byrne asks what Fry would do if he found himself at the Pearly gates. Fry responds by giving one of the most concise, articulate summaries of the problem of theodicy. Bryne is visibly uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »

Gay asks if he does exist what will you say to god when you get to heaven.

Frys response. Bone cancer in children? whats that about? How dare you create a world that is so unjust. its evil why should i respect a God that creates a world full of injustice and pain.

Gay Byrne asks "you think you will get in with that"

Fry says " I dont want to get in on His terms, you are a maniac."

He then continues to say that why does a Omnipotent God need worship etc.

Gay "thats the longest response I have had to that question"

Fry *laughs* (proud of his answer)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Excellent , it sums up the view that the god made up by the Jews to make them fly straight was a bit of a prick, as the american comedian lewis black put it.
    Fry is a great word smith

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

obriendj wrote: »
    [...] Gay Byrne's smug [...]
    Can't say I disagree. In Gay Byrne's defence though, from time to rare time, he provided an outlet for the nation, and stimulated a national debate, which existed nowhere else in the country.

The program he did on the letters written in response to the death of Ann Lovett and her child was perhaps one of the most devastating ever broadcast by RTE:

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-ann-lovett-letters-sorrow-shame-anger-and-indignation-1.1673920

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Despite what is clearly extreme discomfort from Gay Byrne in listening to Fry's response, it's a demonstration of the class of interviewer that he is, that he is at least capable of regulating his response. And at the end, rather than get into a debate where Byrne knows that;

a) He is dealing with a much more intelligent opponent, and
    b) He himself is too emotionally invested in it to risk getting into a debate about it

Instead, he commends Fry for the quality of his response rather than discuss the actual content of it.

I'm not a huge fan of Gay Byrne as a person, he is egotistical up there with the worst of them. But it would be fair to say that he does have a true dedication to honest journalism and has never really shied away from discussing difficult issues in the public forum, regardless of his own belief.

I think the reason the late late show seemed to dip in quality so badly after he left has less to do with the quality of the interviewers who have come after him and more to do with editorial control. In Gaybo's day, he was untouchable. He could say whatever he liked, bring on whomever he liked, and stir up controversy. Once he left, the management at RTE seized majority control over the show, and this has only gotten worse over time. Now what's discussed on TLLS is what the solicitors and Iona and the advertisers will allow you to discuss, rather than what should be discussed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fair enough re the answers, but fair play to steven fry for not reacting to byrne's theatrics. obviously the camera was on fry most of the time, but if byrne was pulling those faces even while the camera was not on him, that would come across as rude.

robindch wrote: »
    Can't say I disagree. In Gay Byrne's defence though, from time to rare time, he provided an outlet for the nation, and stimulated a national debate, which existed nowhere else in the country.

The program he did on the letters written in response to the death of Ann Lovett and her child was perhaps one of the most devastating ever broadcast by RTE:

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-ann-lovett-letters-sorrow-shame-anger-and-indignation-1.1673920

From Time to Rare Time is correct, I always felt that if ever spoke out against the Church on the Late Late it was always uncomfortable.

On his program in 1984, he says “too many letters. They couldn’t be ignored.” Doesnt that say if we only got a few letters we could have ignored them?

When he posed his smug question to Fry, he was waiting for him to retract what he said, which Fry didn't - Brilliant.

When he posed his smug question to Fry, he was waiting for him to retract what he said, which Fry didn't - Brilliant.
    no he wasn't; he didn't expect fry to. he's a seasoned interviewer and asked a pointed question to get an interesting answer - which is his job.

seamus wrote: »
    In Gaybo's day, he was untouchable. He could say whatever he liked, bring on whomever he liked, and stir up controversy. Once he left, the management at RTE seized majority control over the show, and this has only gotten worse over time. Now what's discussed on TLLS is what the solicitors and Iona and the advertisers will allow you to discuss, rather than what should be discussed.

Did management seize control or was this down to the presenters that followed him?
    Pat Kenny has never been able to conduct a decent interview and respond to what people are saying, instead he just went on to his next question.

While Tuburdy is more dynamic, he is just too middle of the road ask hard hitting questions.

Perhaps TLLS is now just light entertainment, leave the serious discussion to Prime Time and Vin B. Back in Gay's day it was the only show in town.

no he wasn't; he didn't expect fry to. he's a seasoned interviewer and asked a pointed question to get an interesting answer - which is his job.

I disagree. He could have asked "Do you want to get in?" or "would you then just walk away?"

As seamus mentioned, he didnt engage with Fry, as I would expect from a seasoned interviewer.

But I could be wrong perhaps if we see the entire episode it might be more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

He might be a seasoned interviewer but I don't think he's actually a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Didn't realise this was on, looking forward to it. Gaybo is a smug git at the best of times. Fry should be well able for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

His body language is awful. If you don't agree with the answer at least try to mask your contempt and show some manners. Gay Byrne seems to think he's earned to right to be rude and condescending.

Fry gives a very thoughful answer and all Gay can say is "thats the longest answer i've ever received."

Poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

On his program in 1984, he says “too many letters. They couldn’t be ignored.” Doesnt that say if we only got a few letters we could have ignored them?

Much as it goes against the grain for me to come out in support of gaybo, I do think you're being a bit harsh there. Fact of the matter is he didn't ignore them and he should be commended for that not, berated because he could have!
    Similarly with fry - rightly or wrongly (ok just wrongly!) gaybo is tv royalty here, he could have easily just interviewed people he agreed with and rte would delightedly hand him a big fat wad of our hard earned cash to do it, but he didn't. Again he should be commended for that I think.

Much as it goes against the grain for me to come out in support of gaybo, I do think you're being a bit harsh there. Fact of the matter is he didn't ignore them and he should be commended for that not, berated because he could have!
    Similarly with fry - rightly or wrongly (ok just wrongly!) gaybo is tv royalty here, he could have easily just interviewed people he agreed with and rte would delightedly hand him a big fat wad of our hard earned cash to do it, but he didn't. Again he should be commended for that I think.

I see your point, and I suppose I was harsh on him "we couldn't ignore" probably just means that there was a massive response.

And he could have just spoke to the irish celebs. But Fry is TV royalty not just in Britain so he knows its a good coup. I still think that from the clip he sure comes across poorly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

His body language is awful. If you don't agree with the answer at least try to mask your contempt and show some manners. Gay Byrne seems to think he's earned to right to be rude and condescending.

Fry gives a very thoughful answer and all Gay can say is "thats the longest answer i've ever received."

Poor.
    I think Fry's answer really caught him off guard - at one point his eyes widen involuntarily!

Though I'm not sure what else he could have said. He's not there to argue, he's there coax someone else's perspective on matters spiritual out of them.

Not a Gaybo fan, but obviously he's a professional and rather than descending in A&A debate he moved on. Will have to see the whole thing now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dades wrote: »
    I think Fry's answer really caught him off guard - at one point his eyes widen involuntarily!

Though I'm not sure what else he could have said. He's not there to argue, he's there coax someone else's perspective on matters spiritual out of them.

Not a Gaybo fan, but obviously he's a professional and rather than descending in A&A debate he moved on. Will have to see the whole thing now.

I'm very confused by it, from those that work with him he apparently researches everything and works hard to the point of thinking out exactly what to say on his shows, and the manner in how it is said. "hardest working presenter I've seen". So he would know what Stephen Fry would say.

Also he apparently was on the Ray Darcy show a couple of months ago and said he doesn't know what to be believing anymore and has gotten less religious as he has gotten older. I can't see how this was a shock to him, was he reacting involuntarily or was he reacting how others might react that are watching? Were they even recorded in context or for drama or to spur Fry on?

Then has a quip quip to reset the tone and take the interview to it's next question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 philiplittle

I have to commend Stephen Fry on his comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Well done Mr Fry, great answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If god did exist, how do we know he/she/it demands worship? Because the church says so? The bible is not a valid source by the way.

Advertisement