Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interclub Comps 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

sailing wrote: »
    Was it not the same for both teams?

The advantage is always going to be with the home team as they have the experience of playing the course over many rounds, the team we played had also played the tournament in the morning so where a lot more equipped to dealing with the greens than we were.
    As for playing off the mats, the advantage is again with the home team as they would have played off the mats many times and the fact you couldn't put a tee in it was ridiculous and off putting when you just arrive on a tee and see a mat there.
    the bunkers they play out of week in week out and have managed to adjust to it ,again it is off putting with all the stones.
    My main issue is a team coming from a course in good condition and having to play a course on par with a mediocre pitch and putt set up, where quality and skill does not come out on top.
    The 2 par 3s with mats where a shock to us on the day as they where never in play on practice day and where so much further back we never would have found them in anyway.
    I understand we all come from different type and quality of courses but I feel the condition of the course on the day played directly to the home teams hands and the pole forking could have waited a week surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The advantage is always going to be with the home team as they have the experience of playing the course over many rounds, the team we played had also played the tournament in the morning so where a lot more equipped to dealing with the greens than we were.
    As for playing off the mats, the advantage is again with the home team as they would have played off the mats many times and the fact you couldn't put a tee in it was ridiculous and off putting when you just arrive on a tee and see a mat there.
    the bunkers they play out of week in week out and have managed to adjust to it ,again it is off putting with all the stones.
    My main issue is a team coming from a course in good condition and having to play a course on par with a mediocre pitch and putt set up, where quality and skill does not come out on top.
    The 2 par 3s with mats where a shock to us on the day as they where never in play on practice day and where so much further back we never would have found them in anyway.
    I understand we all come from different type and quality of courses but I feel the condition of the course on the day played directly to the home teams hands and the pole forking could have waited a week surely.

Every home course is playing into the home teams hands no matter what the conditions though.

Matts are a shocker of course but what can you do? These things are going to happen in inter club comps.

Did yous win your home ties?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Wow that's an impressive list of excuses.
    Skill does comp out on top in those conditions, the skill is question is the ability to adapt, those who can't or won't adapt and act like prima donnas usually lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Played a warm up match with Old Conna and Woodbrook - Foursomes format..
    2 points for a win... Woodbrook had 10 points We ( delgany ) had 8 , Old conna 6 points.

My match we were 5 down, came back to win 2 & 1 ..... Unreal buzz

Wow that's an impressive list of excuses.
    Skill does comp out on top in those conditions, the skill is question is the ability to adapt, those who can't or won't adapt and act like prima donnas usually lose.

It comes down to pure luck on them greens not skill buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

It comes down to pure luck on them greens not skill buddy.
    Yes of course it does, especially when you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Lisheen Springs bt Charlesland 4-1 on Saturday in Barton. Beech Park up next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Yes of course it does, especially when you lose.
    Ah that's a bit harsh. There is defo a big advantage to the home club in the conditions mentioned.

What was the club in question?

We played Castlewarden on Sunday and the place was lovely. Looking forward to taking on the Castle now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Connacht Branch Year book available for collection from Castlebar by clubs from today 21st. April according to email received.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭darraghjm

updated draw sheet for the barton cup, with all the results in from the weekend
    http://leinster.intelligentgolf.ie/knockout.php?compid=44&admin=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Connacht Branch Year book available for collection from Castlebar by clubs from today 21st. April according to email received.

its very late to have it out. I could have done with able to contact opposing team captains long before now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Rathfarnham beat Milltown in Mixed Foursomes yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Good day for club (Birr) today won the barton cup against rathdowney and mixed foursomes against craddockstown. Had 2 at home and 3 away in both and played in some torrential rain too!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Barton cup on this weekend. We are playing Enniscorthy two home three away. Up against it in this one I believe they are pretty strong.

Anyone playing Barton Cup/Metropolitan Trophy this weekend?

I am playing Barton away at the Castle. We have 3 up there so up against it! Lovely track though and the greens are lightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Anyone playing Barton Cup/Metropolitan Trophy this weekend?

Playing against Howth on Sunday. Picked away again, it will be tough up there its a quirky course and local knowledge is a big plus. Pretty open for a lot of holes but very small greens so accuracy is a must.

We have played a few practise matche there and with all the rain last week the greens were very poor (look they hadn't been cut in a long while) so it looks like we will be playing on much better and faster than when we practised.

Some of the holes have stunning views, there is one par 3 on the back 9 looking out towards Dun Laoghaire and on a sunny day you could be in Peable Beach.

We won here 3 years ago with a chip in on the 19th after been 4 down with 5 to play so hopefully we can repeat that form.

J

Playing against Howth on Sunday. Picked away again, it will be tough up there its a quirky course and local knowledge is a big plus. Pretty open for a lot of holes but very small greens so accuracy is a must.

We have played a few practise matche there and with all the rain last week the greens were very poor (look they hadn't been cut in a long while) so it looks like we will be playing on much better and faster than when we practised.

Some of the holes have stunning views, there is one par 3 on the back 9 looking out towards Dun Laoghaire and on a sunny day you could be in Peable Beach.

We won here 3 years ago with a chip in on the 19th after been 4 down with 5 to play so hopefully we can repeat that form.

J
    Best of luck with it, sounds like a tricky place to go but you have a bit of positive experience so that will count for a lot.

The greens in the Castle are easily twice as fast as our own, I am not playing on my home course before Sunday because the difference is that extreme!

I was thinking of going out Saturday night for a few holes, would you think that they will change the pins on Sunday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Playing in the morning in Kenmare - Hope the weather improves!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Playing away on Sunday against Palmerstown Stud. Hopefully we get the two at home and can knick one away match. Really hoping the weather improves for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Ballykisteen progressed to the East Munster final of the Bruen today beating Cahir 3.5 to 1.5 in the first game, then Tipperary 3-2 before beating Dundrum 3-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Playing away on Sunday against Palmerstown Stud. Hopefully we get the two at home and can knick one away match. Really hoping the weather improves for it though!

Palmerstown progressed in this match. We lost both matches at home unfortunately which you just can't do. We won our match 4&3, and were up in another when they were called in.

We (Bray) lost to Castle yesterday too. Lost both games at home which is criminal.

I lost on 18 after a great match. Let my partner down a bit on 2 holes (11 & 12) where we went from 2up to all square but that's matchplay!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 quinda

J

I hope the course was in better condition for the match yesterday Golfgraffix? I haven't played in a couple of weeks but heard they had let the greens go a bit last week to protect them after the heavy rain.

I played against you guys for Howth yesterday in Portmarnock and have to say, the Links is in amazing condition. The recent improvements really make it one of the top courses in Dublin now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

quinda wrote: »
    I hope the course was in better condition for the match yesterday Golfgraffix? I haven't played in a couple of weeks but heard they had let the greens go a bit last week to protect them after the heavy rain.

I played against you guys for Howth yesterday in Portmarnock and have to say, the Links is in amazing condition. The recent improvements really make it one of the top courses in Dublin now I think.

Course was much better, greens were smooth and quick

but the weather was brutal. 10th of May and it was cold and blowing a hurricane. I just couldn't get it together, my normal trusty draw was amplified into a hook and i missed 4 holes on the left, either in gorse or OB. It was those 4 holes that cost us.

Played against two kids off 8 and 6, very pleasant guys and solid golfers.

What is the story with the new water feature on the back nine ? it is surrounded by GUR, your guys where in it but standing in the hazard and got a free drop back to just beside the fairway. Thought it was very strange, never seen a water hazard surrounded by GUR, surely it would be fairer to have a drop zone ?

Good luck against Corrstown, looks like you have a strong team, winning two away from home is impressive.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 42 quinda

Course was much better, greens were smooth and quick

but the weather was brutal. 10th of May and it was cold and blowing a hurricane. I just couldn't get it together, my normal trusty draw was amplified into a hook and i missed 4 holes on the left, either in gorse or OB. It was those 4 holes that cost us.

Played against two kids off 8 and 6, very pleasant guys and solid golfers.

What is the story with the new water feature on the back nine ? it is surrounded by GUR, your guys where in it but standing in the hazard and got a free drop back to just beside the fairway. Thought it was very strange, never seen a water hazard surrounded by GUR, surely it would be fairer to have a drop zone ?

Good luck against Corrstown, looks like you have a strong team, winning two away from home is impressive.

J

Thanks, we have Swords Open in the next round apparently, not Corrstown as suspected last night.

That water feature is indeed a bit confusing. They extended it over the winter, so the GUR is in place to let the new sod settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭darraghjm

draw for the fourth round of the barton cup
    http://leinster.intelligentgolf.ie/knockout.php?compid=44&admin=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Cill dara beat castlecomber 3rd round prov towns got called in goin up 19th in my match.
    Well done to our pierce purcel team winning our section

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I got my first team call up at the weekend. Played foursomes for Moate in the Pierce Purcell over in Longford on Saturday morning. Tricky course in very wet and windy conditions with a few seconds of sunshine thrown in for good measure. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be and I played alright, hit some super shots and of course some crap ones too! We didn't come anywhere near qualifying. New Forest beat the host club 4-1 in yesterdays final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Barton Shield time this weekend, is anyone on here playing with their club this year or have your club got a good chance?
    I didn't get picked unfortunately but will go out anyway to support the lads, were playing in Hollywood Lakes so hopefully the weather improves!

• Advertisement

shabalala wrote: »
    Barton Shield time this weekend, is anyone on here playing with their club this year or have your club got a good chance?
    I didn't get picked unfortunately but will go out anyway to support the lads, were playing in Hollywood Lakes so hopefully the weather improves!

Yeh my club are playing there too, it's a waste of time for our club as our best players are not available, most of the guys would be around 4/5

Advertisement