Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What if you're wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

But your problem is that the only fictions you have cited are your assertion that human rights and equality before the law are themselves fictions. They are both facts, because they have been established by law and are being carried out (albeit imperfectly).

Come back to me with an argument that is worthwhile (about the only one that got close was the rationality/irrationality bit I responded to) and then we can discuss.

They are only "facts ... established by law" because you choose to live by the laws that established them. There are places on this earth where humans live by other laws.

Ask just about anyone on this forum what a shake of the head means in response to a "Yes or No" question and they'll tell you "No" ... but there are countries in Europe where it means "Yes"

The Law is a made-up set of rules and therefore, by definition, fictional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

The Law is a made-up set of rules and therefore, by definition, fictional.

Exactly.

The problem is that people see "fiction" and understand it as "worthless made-up crap". If that is how one understands "fiction" then one must convince oneself that the things one does believe in are somehow "real". Once one understands that a fiction can be useful, important and powerful there no longer is a need to delude oneself that way. Yes, laws are a fiction, but if you decide to ignore a speed limit and you kill another road user who never expected anybody to bear down on them at the insane speed at which you chose to travel, the jail you will be sent to by the judge who believes in the fiction you chose to ignore is very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm just wondering...if ethics/morality is a fiction (as it's some sort of abstract concept made up by humans), can we say the same thing about mathematics too? Granted, mathematics might be closer to reality than ethics/morality.

Mathematics is definitely a human invention but maybe mathematics is a bit more like a game, with rules called "logic", perhaps? Interesting observation, to be sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if maths is a human invention, why does the universe observe its rules too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Mathematics are the same everywhere , 1+1=2 is always true, the formula to calculate the area of a circle is always the same, pi is a constant that is valid everywhere and it doesn't matter if here on earth, on mars or outside of the solar system.
    Ethics and Morality are set by humans and even on earth between regions we see massive differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

if maths is a human invention, why does the universe observe its rules too?

I think "observe" is the pertinent word there. As in, it seems to observe any "rules" we discover about the universe. Isn't that a bit of an ongoing problem for quantum mechanics at the moment - ie. the behaviour of subatomic sized matter depends on the way it's being observed?

Mathematics are an excellent and very accurate way of describing things that happen in the universe formally. One of, if not THE, best inventions of humanity.

Why do people keep thinking that if something is made up or invented by humans it suddenly becomes "worthless"?

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Mathematics are an excellent and very accurate way of describing things that happen in the universe formally. One of, if not THE, best inventions of humanity.

Why do people keep thinking that if something is made up or invented by humans it suddenly becomes "worthless"?

Who thought that then?! Hello....thought police? Can you come round please, there's a person thinking something I don't like.

But seriously, no. Haven't read the whole thread but there's nobody saying human fiction is worthless on this page anyway. I'm not quite following your problem here.

People got their knickers in a twist when I pointed out that Mathematics is a human invention, and try to refute that statement by pointing out that "the universe observes its rules too".

Firstly I should point out that the universe does not observe our rules, our mathematics merely describe what the universe does exceedingly accurately. But, ok, let's rephrase that as:

"One can describe what the universe does very accurately using Mathematics"

Why should someone feel the need to point that out after someone else stated that Mathematics is a human invention? Maybe "worthless" is too strong a word, but I clearly get a "if Mathematics is *merely* a human invention, how come we can describe what the universe does so accurately with it?" vibe off that comment. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that Mathematics is a human invention does not devalue it one single bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

People got their knickers in a twist when I pointed out that Mathematics is a human invention, and try to refute that statement by pointing out that "the universe observes its rules too".

But the thing is you were implying that mathematics was a wholly human fiction when it is not. Mathematics is simply the language humans invented to describe certain relationships and regularities that are frequently observed in nature. They are explanations for reality that can be understood by us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm not wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Err gravity is also a human invention, like maths it's an idea to explain what we observe in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Cabaal wrote: »
    Err gravity is also a human invention, like maths it's an idea to explain what we observe in the universe.

Gravity is just a theory, like evolution. :rolleyes:

But the thing is you were implying that mathematics was a wholly human fiction when it is not. Mathematics is simply the language humans invented to describe certain relationships and regularities that are frequently observed in nature. They are explanations for reality that can be understood by us.

No, I said that Mathematics was a human *invention* akin to a game, with rules called "logic"

Feel free to take that double barrel shotgun and point it at your other foot now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

People got their knickers in a twist
    no, they disagreed with you. subtle difference.
    rozeboosje wrote:
    Feel free to take that double barrel shotgun and point it at your other foot now.
    i'm wondering if your impression of this discussion is a bit more dramatic than everyone elses.

anyway, the suggestion that humans 'invented' maths is a misleading way of phrasing it. more accurate to say we discovered it - because invention suggests we created it and have control over it. if that had been the case, the rules of maths would have been ours to manipulate.

it'd be great though if it had been an invention. i'd claim copyright over the number 898263809721870878772340111998222698223; i'm almost certainly the first person ever to write that number, so if you wish to use it, you'll have to talk to my legal team to discuss fees.

no, they disagreed with you. subtle difference.

No, they got their knickers in a twist.
    I'm wondering if your impression of this discussion is a bit more dramatic than everyone elses.

Nah. Just look at our pal Brian here. He worked himself into such a frenzy that he tried to insult me without even realising that he agreed with me, even using the word "invent" himself. Quite funny, really.
    it'd be great though if it had been an invention. i'd claim copyright over the number 898263809721870878772340111998222698223;

Strawman much? You might like to try patent the game of chess, too, while you're at it.

Harika wrote: »
    Gravity is just a theory, like evolution. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's "just" a theory. A scientific theory, as opposed to how the word theory is used colloquially.

And yes, it's a human construct. That is why scientists to this day are still trying to improve their theories and come up with something that actually unifies theories of gravity, relativity and quantum electrodynamics. As human constructs go, our theories are the pinnacle of human achievement, and they are astonishingly accurate, but if they actually represented reality, as some of you appear to believe, science would stop today.

Strawman much? You might like to try patent the game of chess, too, while you're at it.
    that was a joke, not an argument. i think you're taking this discussion a mite too seriously.

that was a joke, not an argument. i think you're taking this discussion a mite too seriously.

Oh alright then. But filostofy is very serious business indeed.

(Singing) who is making those new brown clouds....

Voodn Voodn

• Advertisement

Oh alright then. But filostofy is very serious business indeed.

(Singing) who is making those new brown clouds....

Voodn Voodn

I'd love to understand even half the things you say. You seem to be channelling The Goon Show here, but I have no idea what you mean. Funny though :)

Edit: Zappa! Of course. Still don't get it though.

Frank Zappa, to be precise. From "Studio Tan", the adventures of Greggery Peccary :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

" What if you're wrong".

Bertrand Russell the famous philosopher and agnostic replied to this...."god, you gave me insufficient evidence"

Sums it up for me , really.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Sums it up for me , really.

Yes, if that were actually the topic of this thread. But it isn't. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Now there's a question for Atheists and Agnostics to ponder!

Ha! No, I'm not leading into the usual Pascal's wager, nor am I interested in talking about how "rational" a belief in some "god" thing or other is.

What I am talking about is that you may be barking up the wrong tree by focusing on this rationality. That believers don't care one bit about how rational their beliefs are or not.

You focus on how reasonable it is to believe in a "god" or not, while the purpose of such a belief has nothing whatsoever to do with actual "truth".

What if I told you that the purpose of faith is social cohesion? That belief in something as absurd as a "god" or anything other that is supernatural is a measure of your investment in the group that you belong to. That, in fact, the more absurd the actual belief is, the more valuable it is. Ostentatious belief, in this sense, is like a peacock's tail, a completely useless appendix that serves no practical use and that to somebody observing it rationally might even appear to be deleterious to its possessor's mental health, but that is in fact a visible marker of a fitness to being a constructive member of the group.

If we as a society are going to move beyond religious belief it won't suffice to simply replace religious belief with "rationality" or "science". We need to create new "secular" fictions that can serve the purposes of social cohesion in a way that makes religion superfluous. If we don't do this, we leave a gap that cults, fringe ideologies and charlatans will be only too happy to fill with their mumbo jumbo.

Firstly, the world can never be rid of religion because it can never be rid of the human impulses behind it; Fear, Hatred, Anti-Intellectualism, Sadism, Masochism, Sexism. All the same really.

Religion is a part of all humans; the worst part. It is a fight against our own nature. Religion is bad. The Nazis built motorways, but their defining characteristics, the things which they were really about, were evil. What religion does well most social organisations do well; Tennis clubs, charities, rotary clubs etc.

But what really makes a religion? What is the necessary condition? An exclusive faith that trumps other sources of truth. You might say what is wrong with that when we have so many educated religious people, scientists, mathematicians, philosophers etc.? It's because it is an intellectual contradiction. To think scientifically about the rest of your life, but to leave your enquiring, rationalist self at the door of the church is so common because it is socially conditioned and culturally pervasive. The scientists, the mathematicians, the philosophers who all hold religious beliefs are engaged in compartmentalized thinking. (google it) Their religious belief perpetuates faith. It gives the "real believers" intellectual cover, many of whom involve extremists and Jihadists. There is nothing wrong with having faith, but it does involve a scary amount of doublethink and it can be dangerous.

It is dangerous because the "real believers" who are given intellectual cover by the intelligent, rational, more enlightened people of faith, are the ones who lobby our governments in the name of religion and attempt to force their beliefs on others. And governments are delighted to give in. Really, it's the moderates who are the greatest threat, the liberal apologists. It's why say Cameron and Blair support faith schools in Britain and a string of same such measures in Ireland.

It will never change and any hope there is of it changing relies ultimately on freedom of speech and expression and no limits or restrictions on it, at least not concerning religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smiley_face400

Alba Frere wrote: »
    And why can't the 'gap' remain unfilled?

There's only a so called 'gap' because organised religions tell us there's one and have led society that this needs to be filled with some sort of spiritualism or belief in a deity

There's only a so called 'gap' because organised religions tell us there's one and have led society that this needs to be filled with some sort of spiritualism or belief in a deity

No, it is more than that, because I've seen in places like Holland where organised religion has been relegated to an irrelevant side show that people en masse ended up embracing all sorts of other "woo".

So here are your options: You can continue stroking yourself and congratulating yourself with how much smarter you are, while charlatans, con artists, self aggrandizers and social parasites continue to cash in on people's need for something more than just stark realism, OR you can start thinking about how this need can be addressed with something other than the bull**** that has been serving the purpose so far. What's it going to be?

K4t wrote: »
    Religion is bad.

Good on ya. So what can we replace it with, then?

Saying that religion is bad is like the Opposition politician bitchin' about how badly the government is doing. They may be spot on in their criticism, but unless they can present a better alternative, all their commentary is pointless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If we as a society are going to move beyond religious belief it won't suffice to simply replace religious belief with "rationality" or "science". We need to create new "secular" fictions that can serve the purposes of social cohesion in a way that makes religion superfluous.

If think you've rather missed the boat on this one. While people in this country still nominally self label as Catholic, the vast majority have stopped attending mass regularly, and only give a nod to Rome out of a sense of tradition. Where fifty years ago, everyone would have attended mass at least a once week, they've long since stopped. Where there would have been a priest, nun or brother in almost every family, there have been only a handful of vocations across the entire country in recent years.

And guess what? The country is doing just fine as a result; no massive unrest, no social collapse. Why? The social cohesion you ascribe to the church is actually a function of community, tradition, well being, and human nature. Suggesting science and rationality are a substitute for organised religion is presenting a false dichotomy.
    If we don't do this, we leave a gap that cults, fringe ideologies and charlatans will be only too happy to fill with their mumbo jumbo.

Perhaps the reason that Catholicism is a faint shadow of its former self in this country is that the vast majority of Irish Catholics have realised that their hierarchy fall into this category.

What does become important in an ever more multicultural society is secularism, as it gives people the right to practice whatever religion or traditions they wish, as long as those practises don't infringe on the rights of others. After all, you are what you is ;)

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    If think you've rather missed the boat on this one.

So I'm merely imagining the anti-vaxxer movement? New Age boloney? Homeopathy?

Good to know. I can relax now.

Advertisement