Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2015

Options
  • 11-12-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks, with Christmas fast approaching and 2015 only around the corner, I feel it is about time to unwrap your first gift. Here it is, the 2015 Boards Golf Society schedule.

31/01/2015 10:30 The Heritage - - - Captains Drive in, non qualifying and a bit of fun
    21/02/2015 10:00 Portmarnock Links
    21/03/2015 11:15 Naas
    25/04/2015 10:00 Tullamore
    23/05/2015 11:00 Dundrum House
    27/06/2015 10:30 The Royal Curragh
    25th July 2015 Killeen Castle
    22/08/2015 Carton House - Montgomerie Course
    19/09/2015 Fota Island Deerpark Course Captains Prize

So we still have a few venues to confirm, but I can promise you that you won't be disappointed as we have our eyes on a few class courses. And of course after a successful night out last year, we will be organising an overnight for Captains

As usual the annual sub will be €30. All of the first 6 outings confirmed above will be €35.

Guys, I have my eyes on 3 marquee venues for the final three outings. I have sponsorship secured to subsidise a large chunk of the green fees but if we go for them, we may need to charge an extra few quid. We realise that some of you guys spend a lot on travelling costs and the long days, and really don't want to hike the cost up to much, but if the course was worth travelling for, would you be happy to pay an extra €5-10.

I am putting a poll on this thread so would appreciate your feedback before we go ahead with any bookings.

There it is so....... 2015 We are under way :)

Would you be happy to pay extra to play marquee courses? 56 votes

No, I think €35 per outing is enough
    0%
    Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    26%
    TorlacMacker1Rikanddelaney001Shakey_jakeRidarecycledcghBarnaboyjay1981Kingswood Roversarfraz.ramayBen Baileyuncommon_nameMyleftpeg 15 votes
    Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    23%
    liamoreillyKeanoMrTrebusfearruanua[Deleted User]GotfoodforphilBillydockieran.OffalyMedicConchyCiaranrastitcheddepinwhosyourcaddy 13 votes
    Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    50%
    Nemesischampioncdaithi7sofirelandspacecoyotemillerjgman127ronnie3585evolving_doorsAnatomSgt Pepper 64benny79athlone99ryaner777The Big Easyjay5296bombedbiscuitpaulos53dwdGoldenjohn 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Excellent looking list.
    Portmarnock will be a long trek so I might have to make that an overnighter and play in the infamous Corballis Friday Open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Schedule looks great so far, I hope to get to much more this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

paulos53 wrote: »
    Excellent looking list.
    Portmarnock will be a long trek so I might have to make that an overnighter and play in the infamous Corballis Friday Open :)

I'm sure we'll be having one down your neck of the woods too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Charlie

I might need some lifts ;)

Rikand wrote: »
    Charlie

actually, I was thinking we might try and get some kind of a car pool list going??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

paulos53 wrote: »
    Excellent looking list.

I can get good rates for rooms at the hotel, if anyone wants to stay.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Damn you Seve.
    Joking fair play - class.

Had decided to give 2015 a rest, but you have savage outings there.
    Will need to sleep on it - or have a "pre night of outing pint", to think about the sea and the great courses - seen and unseen.

I interested in joining this year never got around to it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    I interested in joining this year never got around to it last year

I only joined last year for the first time and being honest I wished I had do so a lot sooner. Great bunch of lads, nice courses and well run outings. Really something to look forward to each month during the season.

How do i join and how much?

• Advertisement

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    How do i join and how much?

As above, it's €30 sub for the year. all the outings above are going to be €35

we will be setting up a thread soon for the first outing and from there, we generally organise it through teamer. so if you haven't got that already, download the app, send a PM to CharlieIrl and he will set you up. you will get messages when events are scheduled and you you click whether or not you can attend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

As much as I'd like to join, the geographical clustering of courses makes it unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Some great courses there SeveOB, I'm really going to make the effort this year, only managed to make 3 events this year, although a big part of the reason for that, was that my shoulder was in bits for most of the 2nd half of the year. Roll on 2015! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

I think I be interested this year some the outings are only 30 mins away

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bobster453

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    As much as I'd like to join, the geographical clustering of courses makes it unlikely.

I know how you feel but I have to say, it is well worth the time and effort to join.
    Fantastic bunch of lads who don't mind an old codger like me and Tiger turning up.
    I only joined last year and was lucky as a lot of the courses were within striking distance of Tipp so feel its right that I should have to travel this year
    Been involved in this game more years than I care to remember and can honestly say I have never enjoyed myself playing as much as I did with all the guys last year and I don't think I have ever seen a more organised and totally inclusive society than the one we have, everyone is made feel welcome regardless of ability(or non- ability in my case).
    A credit to everyone involved
    Roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bobster453

Rikand wrote: »
    Charlie

From Where to Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Macker1 wrote: »
    I only joined last year for the first time and being honest I wished I had do so a lot sooner. Great bunch of lads, nice courses and well run outings. Really something to look forward to each month during the season.

Ah yeah macker...winning GOTY in your first year helps too :P

I love the way 90.48 % have said they would pay more. Very easy in a poll.

It is a long day - It is an expensive day as is.

But always got the sense that, the society is a little different, it is lads who play golf anyway, they invariably have other forms of golf they could be at, are in other societies, are in clubs.

If they are getting a day off from the missus or away from a club comp or missus :P , it needs to be something a bit special.

So still not going - but - but. :)

No a class society.

Paulo - if your up or a few of the other lads from South , I'll bring you out to that open and meet you for a pint in "malaride" that night.
    Maybe I shouldn't have used that colloquialism.

I'll even buy the pint ;)

Ah yeah macker...winning GOTY in your first year helps too :P

Take the winning of the GOTY out of the equation I would still say that it was an very enjoyable first year with the society. I like the anticipation of traveling to new courses and meeting up with like minded folks that love their golf. Everyone is made feel welcome and that is very important. A round of golf in good company on a well chosen course in fine weather with a nice bit of grub to follow. This is something I very much look forward too each month. It's great if you score well but that to me is an extra bonus.

In regards to the cost side of things. I do find it to be a little expensive but the caveat to that is that as a full member at a golf club I'm already shelling out a chunk of money. The perk of which is the advantage of playing opens at a much reduced cost that would be afforded to Society/ green fee golfing. So playing with any society will have a tendency to be comparably expensive. Its tough to get a balance between the two sides from both a money and time perspective (wife) but I would say I enjoy playing club golf a lot but the monthly outing to a course that I yet to play is something I really enjoy. Also it feels good to take a weekend off work to play if the shift schedule conflicts.

PS.....Any news on my GOTY prize as the wife is nagging me and I was planning to use that as a bribe for next years pass :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Macker1 wrote: »
    PS.....Any news on my GOTY prize as the wife is nagging me and I was planning to use that as a bribe for next years pass :pac::pac::pac:

Sorry Macker, my fault. I thought I was was waiting on your dates so I could organise it for you.

Send me a pm

J

• Advertisement

Sorry Macker, my fault. I thought I was was waiting on your dates so I could organise it for you.

Send me a pm

J

No worries. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the Society outings recommenced in 2015. I will send a PM to get some details.

Thanks again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well folks, with Christmas fast approaching and 2015 only around the corner, I feel it is about time to unwrap your first gift. Here it is, the 2015 Boards Golf Society schedule.

31/01/2015 10:30 The Heritage - - - Captains Drive in, non qualifying and a bit of fun
    21/02/2015 10:00 Portmarnock Links
    21/03/2015 11:15 Naas
    25/04/2015 10:00 Tullamore
    23/05/2015 11:00 Dundrum House
    27/06/2015 10:30 The Royal Curragh
    25/07/2015 TBC
    22/08/2015 TBC
    19/09/2015 TBC Captains Prize

So we still have a few venues to confirm, but I can promise you that you won't be disappointed as we have our eyes on a few class courses. And of course after a successful night out last year, we will be organising an overnight for Captains

As usual the annual sub will be €30. All of the first 6 outings confirmed above will be €35.

Guys, I have my eyes on 3 marquee venues for the final three outings. I have sponsorship secured to subsidise a large chunk of the green fees but if we go for them, we may need to charge an extra few quid. We realise that some of you guys spend a lot on travelling costs and the long days, and really don't want to hike the cost up to much, but if the course was worth travelling for, would you be happy to pay an extra €5-10.

I am putting a poll on this thread so would appreciate your feedback before we go ahead with any bookings.

There it is so....... 2015 We are under way :)

HI.
    I was hopeing to join last year but never made it.
    Would someone be able to give me approx. times travelling to each venue from Cork City.
    The only course I played on the list is Dundrum so I am really tempted.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Axel Lamp wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to join but given that all the courses listed to date are within the Pale, it's simply unrealistic for me.

Pleanty of fine tracks in the West lads!

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I'd love to join but given that all the courses listed to date are within the Pale, it's simply unrealistic for me.

Pleanty of fine tracks in the West lads!

There was no outing on east coast at all last year - there was 2 out west.

The happy compromise was courses in midlands.

But with the number of lads from Dublin - and the access to Dublin , makes sense to have 1 in Dublin over 2 years.

Also there hasn't been a links at all ?

So an outing is due in Dublin - and on a Links.

I don't think anyone who has gone to an outing - would doubt the amount of travel and commitment by all to make it to outings.

Not speaking on behalf of anybody, except myself there.

Edit - When was last outing in Dublin lads ? 2013 /2012 ?

Edit - When was last outing in Dublin lads ? 2013 /2012 ?

The one in Portmarnock will be the first as far as I know. Palmerstown House is as close as it has got in the past. Of course I wasn't around the first year so stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Break80 wrote: »
    HI.
    I was hopeing to join last year but never made it.
    Would someone be able to give me approx. times travelling to each venue from Cork City.
    The only course I played on the list is Dundrum so I am really tempted.
    Thanks.

I drove from Cork City to Port Laoise in 1 hour 15 mins the other day, so at a guess...

Heritage 1 hour 30
    Portmarnock 2 hours 30
    Naas 2 hours
    Tullamore under 2 hours
    Dundrum House Under 1 hour
    The Curragh 1 hour 45

They are long journeys but its similar for a lot of other people to and there are some Corkonians travelling up to all these events as it is, so maybe you can carpool

For me travelling from Athlone it would be

The heritage 1 hour 20
    Portmarnock 1 hour 30
    Naas 1 hour 30
    Tullamore Under 1 hour
    Dundrum House 2 hours+
    The Curragh 1 hour 30

It's not easy do, but you have to try and get somewhere in the middle of everyone. Obviously caters slightly more towards the dubs, but there are A LOT more dubs playing than the rest of us :D

I guess I am one of the lucky Dubs who lives close enough to the M50, but we have members from all parts of Dublin so that does actually mean a bit of travelling when you are coming accross the city to get to the M4 or M7. So from Dublin city travel times are roughly

The heritage 1 hour 20
    Portmarnock 20 minutes
    Naas 45 minutes
    Tullamore 1 hour 20
    Dundrum House 2 hours+
    The Curragh 1 hour

Yes they are shorter trips for the Dubs this year (but hey, I guess that's what you get for having a Dublin Captain :) ). We have done our fair share of travelling over the last few years though. Can't keep all the people happy all the time so there has to be compromises and I feel that we have chosen courses worth travelling for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

As someone who travels long distances to the boards events I wish to congratulate SeveOB on his choices this year. As a lot of people in the society have good distances to travel once the locations are kept in close proximity to the motorway system as they are this year, they are reasonably accessible toall. Long journey times are easily outweighed by the good company you are assured of in the society.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Looks great Seve! Like that they are starting up from a little earlier in the year this year.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Looks great Seve! Like that they are starting up from a little earlier in the year this year.

Well the first event is going to be something like a team scramble, more of a bit of fun than anything serious and an event to welcome anyone new who would like to see what we are all about.

Advertisement