Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 46: Oreo Truffles and Dishwasher Vodka

• 20-11-2014 11:43am
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the time of year, I thought I'd post up a couple of recipes that would make nice home-made gifts. Best thing is, no baking!

Oreo Truffles: Makes about 30-40 truffles. You'll need a food processor, though I used my liquidiser that has similar blades and they came out perfect too. I also used Lidl subsitutes, as you can see, and I personally could not notice a taste difference from previous batches.

Ingredients:
    3 packets Oreo Cookies.
    2 packs of Philadelphia Cheese.
    Cocoa Powder to dust.

To decorate: Petit Four cases and gold edible lustre dust.

Blitz the cookies in the food processor. Add in the cheese, mix well until the cheese is well blended. Chill in the fridge for an hour or so, as it makes the mixture easier to work with.

Roll into small balls. I usually do them about the size of a medium marble. Gently toss into the cocoa powder and place in the little case. Repeat until you run out of truffle mixture. I dusted this batch with the gold lustre dust from Decobake, and they look decadent and Christmassy. More so if you used foil cases.

5648e9e8-c0ee-42e7-ae50-4ccd5196166e_zps0c0fbde3.jpg5683f68a-e972-40fc-ac99-1801bab7d442_zpsd75dd8a8.jpg69676e70-c95e-48ec-991e-8ca7691913d0_zps35c5f3b9.jpga4cd7ae4-8b28-43e8-9d98-fd72e6f6a63a_zpse709e4f1.jpg

Dishwasher Vodka - no photos, apologies for that!

This is a quick method of making flavoured vodka. Boiled sweets and chocolate work best - fruity, chewy sweets such as skittles/ blackjacks would require a bit of skimming of the scum that forms on the surface afterwards, but would be well worth the extra effort.

Ingredients:
    1 litre vodka
    Flavour of choice eg: 500g of Werthers toffee /cola cubes / after dinner mints/ (or any chocolate bars, I hear mars bars are also lovely )salted caramel etc. You can also use vanilla pods, or red chili - just prick them a few times with a fork or skewer before adding to the vodka

Remove about a quarter of the vodka from the bottle. Add the sweets, bashing them up a bit first, especially if they are big. Replace cap and tighten. Twist cling film securely around the neck and cap as a further precaution. Put the bottle in the top shelf of your dishwasher and put on a 70 degree cycle.

If you dont have a dishwasher, (or in my case, have a broken one - NOT vodka related I promise!) you can just put your ingredients into a kilner jar for a few weeks, giving it a shake every time you are passing.

Depending on the ingredients, you may need to strain off some solids, in which case, coffee filters are great for that.

Here is a Christmas Pudding Vodka recipe:

Ingredients:

1 litre vodka
    4 tbsp dark brown sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 cloves
    Peel of 1 orange
    Peel of 1 lemon
    25g currants
    25g raisins
    25g dried figs, halved if large.

Method as per above - you may want to blitz the ingredients a bit so that they will fit into the bottle, and you'll need to strain it with a coffee filter afterwards. Stick a festive ribbon on the bottle, and it makes an unusual gift.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

Back in my binge drinking youth i did the skittles vodka a good bit. Seriously nice but all the sugar made for a bad hangover. I found it was a little goey so we used to drink it from the freezer and im not sure why but it used to be more of a liquid when it was colder.. 5 packs of skittles to into a 500ml bottle and fill with vodka. Happy days.

Ill be trying the oreos too i think.
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

.red. wrote: »
    Back in my binge drinking youth i did the skittles vodka a good bit. Seriously nice but all the sugar made for a bad hangover. I found it was a little goey so we used to drink it from the freezer and im not sure why but it used to be more of a liquid when it was colder.. 5 packs of skittles to into a 500ml bottle and fill with vodka. Happy days.

cheers.
    I don't think it was the sugar that gave you the hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I don't think it was the sugar that gave you the hangover!
    Thats a fair point!!
    Its nice tho. Well worth trying if your having people over for drinks during the festive period!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

.red. wrote: »

cheers.

Dont forget to take out the purple ones ( it goes a brown colour otherwise)

Ive never had a bad skittle night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Neyite would you give this in the original Vodka bottle or another one? I was thinking of making the Christmas pudding one for a friend who is a big vodka fan. Once you have strained out the solids from the vodka would you add the quarter bottle you took out back in or not?

Advertisement