Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ted Bishop

• 24-10-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Don't call Ian Poulter a little girl on Twitter or you get sacked from being president of the PGA of America

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »
    Don't call Ian Poulter a little girl on Twitter or you get sacked from being president of the PGA of America

Did he get the chop?
    Spotted his comments earlier... He got Poultered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

PARlance wrote: »
    Did he get the chop?
    Spotted his comments earlier... He got Poultered.

He was given the option of resigning but refused so got the Ruud Gullit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Insulting Poluter wouldn't have been a problem, doing it in a sexist way meant he was dead man walking.

Another small step away from traditional old boys network....good stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Win win for Poults for his new book's publicity but I don't think he'll have wanted it this way in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

slave1 wrote: »
    Win win for Poults for his new book's publicity but I don't think he'll have wanted it this way in fairness

No, was very classy in his response and gently pointed to the inherent sexism of Bishop's comments:

"Is being called a `lil girl' meant to be derogatory or a put down? That's pretty shocking and disappointing, especially coming from the leader of the PGA of America. No further comment."

It wasn't as though Bishop had made one off the cuff remark either. He'd posted one on Twitter and another on Facebook; both in a similar vein: "Sounds like a little school girl squealing during recess."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The golf channel interviewed Ted Bishop today. I cant post the link but if you go to their website and do a search, there are a few clips. Can't help but feel it was a trial by media. Stupid thing for him to say but I don't think he should have lost his job for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

HighLine wrote: »
    The golf channel interviewed Ted Bishop today. I cant post the link but if you go to their website and do a search, there are a few clips. Can't help but feel it was a trial by media. Stupid thing for him to say but I don't think he should have lost his job for it.

Disagree. He said it twice. Twitter and then expanded on it in Facebook. Man in his position cannot say things like that. Got what he deserved IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Didn't go on long enough to be characterised as a trial by media. He posted his tweet and facebook comment, the board met the very next evening and firstly asked him to resign which he refused to do, so they sacked him.

It all happened in less than 30 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

rrpc wrote: »
    Didn't go on long enough to be characterised as a trial by media. He posted his tweet and facebook comment, the board met the very next evening and firstly asked him to resign which he refused to do, so they sacked him.

It all happened in less than 30 hours.

Did you watch any of the video clips I mentioned in my post? In one of the videos, Bishop said that he had been in constant contact with the PGA's pr people and at first they said to him that the reaction didn't seem so bad so just lay low and see if it blows over.

However the twitter media storm grew (yes, twitter is media) after Poulter's reaction and they then informed him that the situation was serious.

So completely disagree with your time restraints on trial by media. Social media sh*tstorms blow in very quickly these days.

Did you watch any of the video clips I mentioned in my post? In one of the videos, Bishop said that he had been in constant contact with the PGA's pr people and at first they said to him that the reaction didn't seem so bad so just lay low and see if it blows over.

However the twitter media storm grew (yes, twitter is media) after Poulter's reaction and they then informed him that the situation was serious.

So completely disagree with your time restraints on trial by media. Social media sh*tstorms blow in very quickly these days.

You think he was hard done by ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It was a very silly thing to do

Sackable ? A bit harsh

Verbal warning, loss of earnings and some sensitivity training ? Would seem better

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Would he have been sacked for saying " lil boy" or "lil kid"?
    same meaning imo, I think the sexist angle is massively inflated and is on the offended side rather than in what he said.

Is yorkie " not for girls" sexist, anyone fired over their ten year running ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

GreeBo wrote: »
    same meaning imo, I think the sexist angle is massively inflated and is on the offended side rather than in what he said.

Completely agree Greebo. In today's PC mad world, what term could he have used in order not to have been in trouble. ''Acting like a child'' Oh no, you cannot say that. It is ageist. ''Acting like a lil girl'' nope that is sexist. ''Acting like a balooba'' Certainly not... that is racist. I think PGA probably used it as an excuse to get him out. He should have just gone with the tried and tested comment. Poulter is being a dick.

The Yorkie comparison makes no sense. Their job is to sell more bars and make more money. They obviously knew what they were doing when they pitched the ad.

A man in Bishops position cannot afford to say things like this. Also what the hell is he doing getting involved in a social media spat with a player ? Complete idiocy.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    The Yorkie comparison makes no sense. Their job is to sell more bars and make more money. They obviously knew what they were doing when they pitched the ad.
    Its either sexist or its not.
    A man in Bishops position cannot afford to say things like this. Also what the hell is he doing getting involved in a social media spat with a player ? Complete idiocy.

I dont think someone in his position should have got involved, however getting fired for "sexism" is wrong.
    He should have been fired for bringing the PGA into a personal tiff.

Its either sexist or its not.

It is but so what they would say. They have no obligation to do anything other than make profits. He does.
    I dont think someone in his position should have got involved, however getting fired for "sexism" is wrong.
    He should have been fired for bringing the PGA into a personal tiff.

Agree with latter. Former also an issue though for the head of an organisation in a sport whose record on gender equality is hardly stellar. This record may have nothing to do with him or that organisation in particular but still needs to be above reproach on this topic IMHO

It is but so what they would say. They have no obligation to do anything other than make profits. He does.
    Well I dont think it is sexist, either of the examples.
    Agree with latter. Former also an issue though for the head of an organisation in a sport whose record on gender equality is hardly stellar. This record may have nothing to do with him or that organisation in particular but still needs to be above reproach on this topic IMHO
    That's where I have a problem, I don't think gender comes into this, he engaged in a fight with a player, that's the problem, not what he said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It was a silly comment of a man who leads an very important organisation. He should have more cope on. Firing him a)set an example and b)made sure the PGA dealt with the matter swiftly. The guy no doubt got a big pay off and will get another handy job. He might just think before he tweets next time.

It was a silly comment of a man who leads an very important organisation. He should have more cope on. Firing him a)set an example and b)made sure the PGA dealt with the matter swiftly. The guy no doubt got a big pay off and will get another handy job. He might just think before he tweets next time.

He had about a month left apparently so good chance to make a statement without a big pay-off

You are mis framing the argument, he used the female term as a disparaging term. Lil kid isn't sexist as its gender neutral, lil boy isn't sexist as Poulter is male.

It was blatant sexism, belongs in the 70s. Golf is moving away from the good old boys club that prevailed for years and not before time.

• Advertisement

cairny wrote: »
    You are mis framing the argument, he used the female term as a disparaging term. Lil kid isn't sexist as its gender neutral, lil boy isn't sexist as Poulter is male.

It was blatant sexism, belongs in the 70s. Golf is moving away from the good old boys club that prevailed for years and not before time.

I'm not mis-framing it, I dont happen to believe that "lil girl" is sexist.
    The disparaging element is likening Poulter to a child.

Would you think it sexist if he had called Michelle Wie a "lil boy" for example?

I'm not mis-framing it, I dont happen to believe that "lil girl" is sexist.
    The disparaging element is likening Poulter to a child.

Would you think it sexist if he had called Michelle Wie a "lil boy" for example?

The Yorkie tangent was the mis frame element.

He set out to insult Poulter, he chose to do this by comparing his behaviour to that of a girls, calling up an old stereotype of women as over emotional etc.

He could as you say have said lil kid.....he chose to go for 'girl' and didn't apologise when it was pointed out to him.

Reversing the genders could also be sexist but it depends on the context.

The sexism is pretty clear to me but if you can't see it then you can't see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think it was a pathetic comment he made and to post it twice.....on 2 social media sites.....he deserved what he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

He had about a month left apparently so good chance to make a statement without a big pay-off

It is an unpaid position.

He is fairly minted anyway he doesn't need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

If you are in his position why would you even be doing social media. Nothing positive can come of it.

kiers47 wrote: »
    It is an unpaid position.

He is fairly minted anyway he doesn't need the money.

Earned every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Earned every penny.

Ya he worked his way up the ladder alright. Hard working guy I'd say from what I've read.

It all seems a bit much to me. The corruption that goes on in other sports and golf goes mad over a lil girl comment. It's a bit of a **** storm in a tea cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Had very little time left in the job. Don't think he would of got the chop if he had a year left rather than the month he had remaining

Advertisement