Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW Jaguar XE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

They really can't put a foot wrong these days can they. Beautiful machinery!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Quite tasty. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Looking forward to the daysul. Class yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Nice front but the rest is a bit derivative and dull, particularly the rear. The XF has aged terribly so I guess they went for something a bit more generic.

New JLR engines sound promising though and it's prob quite light so it deffo has potential. It's just a bit underwhelming, I had higher hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

To be fair, nobody has driven it yet, so it's important to reserve final judgement.

That said, judging from reactions on other websites during the last 24 hours, a lot of people are underwhelmed by the design of the XE, especially the interior. The exterior looks like a cross between the outgoing XF and perhaps an Audi A4. To that extent, the exterior looks a bit derivative or "me too". For all its flaws, the current Lexus IS has the more "edgy" exterior - the XE looks as bland as its German rivals.

However, the car's aluminium body gives it an advantage (for now) over its German rivals.

I'm reminded of all the hoopla when the F-Type roadster launched last year. Some elements of the UK motoring press lost the plot trying to find adjectives to praise the car. Now, over a year later:
    - There is consensus that the car is too heavy.
    - The residuals on the V8 version are awful (in the UK, at least).
    - In the US (where luxury and premium car sales are very healthy), the car is proving difficult to move off garage forecourts (pricing is probably the main deal breaker).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

meh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 markhogan

Stunning looking car. Im just not a huge Jag fan tbh. But they have been making some nice motors lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I spent 3 years of my professional life working on that car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

It looks like the old mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Mr.David wrote: »
    I spent 3 years of my professional life working on that car!

A source in the know was very disappointed with the A4 rear they bolted on to the back, particularly the lights. He described it as a bit bland and already done.............and exactly what the market wants. He liked the drive and reckoned it was at least a match for the best in class. In fact he reckoned it was great around a track.

If they can get the quality right it should have no problems selling. While it's not as mind blowing as I'd like it's exactly the right styling for the segment it's in.

Not sure what parts you worked on but I approve of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looks to me like jag came up with a classy design in the xf and used it on the xj and now this xe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Have to say, I'm very underwhelmed by the interior. There's nothing wrong with it per say, and had it been launched this time last year, it would have been top of the class, I think it is marginally better than the 3 series (then again, BMW doesn't really bother making any kind of effort with their cars these days, except of course to cut costs as much as they can get away with, as evidenced by the wrong wheel drive 2 series Active Tourer thing). But in the past year we've had the new C-class, and as a result, the interior is already totally outclassed.

If everything else about the car is good (and I don't see any reason why that can't be the case), it could still be a class leader; after all the C-class is meant to be a bit underwhelming to drive without the very expensive air suspension and of course, Merc's four cylinder diesels are complete tractors, even by the (low) standards of four cylinder diesel engines they're very unrefined, and the 3 series isn't meant to be all that good without the expensive adaptive M sport suspension.

I bet a bog-standard XE will be at least as good as an adaptively or air suspended 3 series or C-class.

The CO2 is low as well, but I don't like the fact that the service interval is 21,000 miles - that's just WAY too long to be leaving the same oil in an engine no matter how many long life additives are in it.

Good to see Jaguar are still offering a six pot petrol engine (not relevant in Ireland admittedly, but nice to know that it is available in countries that aren't as obsessed with low road tax), and I note their comments about the 'Ingenium' engine being a suitable basis for an XE R model; I read somewhere (perhaps Mr David can confirm) that the new engines are a modular design a la BMW's latest engines, and it can be made a straight six; well I certainly would love to see the return of a Jaguar with a straight six engine under the bonnet :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Jag in Ireland, not the best of sales. Maybe something to do with the old english marque.

The XF is lovely, expensive car. Get to 4 years old and the arse falls out of the value. I suspect you will see the same with the XE.

Jag in Ireland, not the best of sales. Maybe something to do with the old english marque.

The XF is lovely, expensive car. Get to 4 years old and the arse falls out of the value. I suspect you will see the same with the XE.

The lack of a small engine was a killer, and the smallest engine in the XF isn't very fuel efficient. The X-type (which was a glorified Mondeo don't forget, and was the first and so far only Jag available with wrong wheel drive) sold in reasonable numbers here even before they brought in the diesel, which speaks volumes about the priorities of the average Irish motorist.

Thankfully at least the new car is rear wheel drive, I swear if Jaguar hadn't bothered making this car rear wheel drive BMW would probably be making the next generation 3 series front wheel drive in addition to all the other models that are going to drive the wrong wheels over the next few years:rolleyes:.

Have to say, I'm very underwhelmed by the interior. There's nothing wrong with it per say, and had it been launched this time last year, it would have been top of the class, I think it is marginally better than the 3 series (then again, BMW doesn't really bother making any kind of effort with their cars these days, except of course to cut costs as much as they can get away with, as evidenced by the wrong wheel drive 2 series Active Tourer thing). But in the past year we've had the new C-class, and as a result, the interior is already totally outclassed.

If everything else about the car is good (and I don't see any reason why that can't be the case), it could still be a class leader; after all the C-class is meant to be a bit underwhelming to drive without the very expensive air suspension and of course, Merc's four cylinder diesels are complete tractors, even by the (low) standards of four cylinder diesel engines they're very unrefined, and the 3 series isn't meant to be all that good without the expensive adaptive M sport suspension.

I bet a bog-standard XE will be at least as good as an adaptively or air suspended 3 series or C-class.

The CO2 is low as well, but I don't like the fact that the service interval is 21,000 miles - that's just WAY too long to be leaving the same oil in an engine no matter how many long life additives are in it.

Good to see Jaguar are still offering a six pot petrol engine (not relevant in Ireland admittedly, but nice to know that it is available in countries that aren't as obsessed with low road tax), and I note their comments about the 'Ingenium' engine being a suitable basis for an XE R model; I read somewhere (perhaps Mr David can confirm) that the new engines are a modular design a la BMW's latest engines, and it can be made a straight six; well I certainly would love to see the return of a Jaguar with a straight six engine under the bonnet :).

Agree with you on some points but it's premature and frankly outrageous to claim that any variant of the XE might be class leading - for now, at least. People can criticise BMW all they like but the facts are that the 3 series defined the compact executive segment and has led the segment ever since. In recent years, the C class and the A4 have got closer to the 3 series but despite the interior and overall build quality of the new C class its refinement and some of the engines in the range have been criticised heavily, so for now BMW can rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Agree with you on some points but it's premature and frankly outrageous to claim that any variant of the XE might be class leading - for now, at least. People can criticise BMW all they like but the facts are that the 3 series defined the compact executive segment and has led the segment ever since. In recent years, the C class and the A4 have got closer to the 3 series but despite the interior and overall build quality of the new C class its refinement and some of the engines in the range have been criticised heavily, so for now BMW can rest easy.
    The BMW loving press though are always over critical of the 3-series rivals. The C-Class engines are carried over, but they're not that bad. In fact the C-Class engine is better than the E90 engine for refinement except maybe towards 4k rpm, but the press always said it was far too unrefined. That's simply too harsh. They actually said at one point the last C-Class was a match for the E90 in handling stakes, but for some reason the conclusion was that "on balance" the 3 series just about shaded it. I don't know what balance they were using, but the last facelift C-Class had a much better interior than the E90, so it should have scored better.
    So I reckon that some British bias will come out to aid the new Jag, but to be honest it's needed to balance the BMW bias that already exists, so the net result should be a fair dual between them!

@Mr. David, is it the UK where most of the tests were done? Also, what qualifications do you need for your job? I assume jobs like that don't come up often!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If I was in the market for a small executive saloon id probably buy one instead of a 3 series, just because the current 3 is ugly and every second car on the road is a bloody 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Good to see Jaguar are still offering a six pot petrol engine (not relevant in Ireland admittedly, but nice to know that it is available in countries that aren't as obsessed with low road tax), and I note their comments about the 'Ingenium' engine being a suitable basis for an XE R model; I read somewhere (perhaps Mr David can confirm) that the new engines are a modular design a la BMW's latest engines, and it can be made a straight six; well I certainly would love to see the return of a Jaguar with a straight six engine under the bonnet :).

A Jaaag without sufficient cylindrage is like a night without stars, my good man. Now what would be moderately neat-o would be an updated, supercharged version of the AJ20 V6, the one that previously showed up in the 2l X-Type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

A fine looking car, will be interesting to see how it stacks up once its released. And i dont think counting on the motoring press to give a decent account of a car is going to teach you much, they have their favourites and they will have their national pride and they somehow those always end up being just that little bit better.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

MadYaker wrote: »
    If I was in the market for a small executive saloon id probably buy one instead of a 3 series, just because the current 3 is ugly and every second car on the road is a bloody 3 series.

And the others are either A4s or 520d's :pac:

The mother is considering looking into it for their next repmobile. Would be a good change from the S60.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    A source in the know was very disappointed with the A4 rear they bolted on to the back, particularly the lights. He described it as a bit bland and already done.............and exactly what the market wants. He liked the drive and reckoned it was at least a match for the best in class. In fact he reckoned it was great around a track.

If they can get the quality right it should have no problems selling. While it's not as mind blowing as I'd like it's exactly the right styling for the segment it's in.

Not sure what parts you worked on but I approve of it.

Agree, the rear end is the weak point for me. Front end looks very well though. Have to wait and see on the interior, the launch colours are awful imo.

The 3L supercharged petrol should be a proper weapon, that engine is a peach in the F type.

It's such a touch sector, I hope it does well.

Btw my contribution was from the aeroacoustic point of view so design of bonnet/wing mirrors/A post/sealing systems etc with a view to minimising wind noise.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Is it true that Wing mirrors are a major source of wind noise? Is it still a EU requirement to have them? I remember seeing some prototypes cars with little camera pods that would display and image inside the car. So less wind noise and therefore better fuel economy.

Yeah its true, they are a huge source of drag and wind noise! The sooner the disappear the better really, although a car without them would take some getting used to!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    @Mr. David, is it the UK where most of the tests were done? Also, what qualifications do you need for your job? I assume jobs like that don't come up often!

Testing would be performed at various locations around the world. We used an acoustically treated wind tunnel in Germany for a lot of our work.

Qualifications wise I have a degree in Mech Eng!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The BMW loving press though are always over critical of the 3-series rivals. The C-Class engines are carried over, but they're not that bad. In fact the C-Class engine is better than the E90 engine for refinement except maybe towards 4k rpm, but the press always said it was far too unrefined. That's simply too harsh. They actually said at one point the last C-Class was a match for the E90 in handling stakes, but for some reason the conclusion was that "on balance" the 3 series just about shaded it. I don't know what balance they were using, but the last facelift C-Class had a much better interior than the E90, so it should have scored better.
    So I reckon that some British bias will come out to aid the new Jag, but to be honest it's needed to balance the BMW bias that already exists, so the net result should be a fair dual between them!

Agree that many motoring journalists used to have a bias for certain BMW models but in recent years that has changed. New BMWs are longer guaranteed five star reviews and many reviewers are unsure about the direction in which BMW is going.

In particular, the BMW 5 series is no longer the class leader that is used to be. The E39 was the last version to dominate the executive car segment but it's been out of production for 11 years.

For some time, there has been a feeling that the 3 series including the M3 (up to the E46 anyway) is the best type of car that BMW makes whereas the S class is the best type of car that Mercedes makes. In both cases, the cars are class leaders and there is general agreement that both car makers understand those segments. The same could be argued about Porsche with the 911 but then you get into talking about price points.

At the moment, the only models in BMW's current range that seem to get unqualified praise on a consistent basis are the new 2 series coupe and the current 3 series saloon.

Agree that diesel engine refinement in some of the current BMW models, especially the current 3 series saloon, has been criticised but I don't think that any reviewers have felt sufficiently heated to write off a car's overall perceived quality and refinement because of it.

Interiors is an interesting issue. I'm not sure that most car buyers use it as a hard criterion when making a buying decision over a new car. That said, leather v cloth and colour scheme of interior might matter to a lot of buyers when buying used cars but that's more about one used car versus another as opposed to deciding between different makes or models. Admittedly, Audi interiors used to get great reviews but more recent BMWs have received praise for their interiors.

Arguably, BMW's M cars have suffered the biggest fall in critical reviews, whatever about sales. I'd be the first to say that BMW has made some bad moves with M cars moving to synthetic engine noise in cabins, electric steering and bigger, heavier bodies. Recently, BMW has indicated that next generation models, including M cars, will be lighter.

Agree that many motoring journalists used to have a bias for certain BMW models but in recent years that has changed. New BMWs are longer guaranteed five star reviews and many reviewers are unsure about the direction in which BMW is going.

In fairness, the days when motoring journalists used to give BMWs glowing reviews and five star verdicts, they were deserved. The E39 5 series is an exceptional car, it was so far ahead of the A6 and E-class of the time. It's still a great car, even today.

The E46 and E90 were also great cars and were class leaders until almost the very end, but I note that already What Car no longer say the F30 is the best compact executive car. I don't agree with their choice (they say the A3 is the best), but stil, that kind of thing wouldn't have happened in times gone by. The F30 has most certainly been criticised for its driving dynamics (unless you buy it with the very expensive adapative suspension, and how many people are going to do that? Hardly any I reckon) and the N47 is an unrefined engine - it is a four cylinder diesel after all. Plus, as we know, it's one of the most unreliable diesel engines ever made with the infamous timing chain problem.

The press reviews of the pseudo BMW Active Tourer yoke say it doesn't even drive as well as the best in class, before when BMW used to do something that its fans would be screaming blue murder about they used to do it so well the critics were sent home with their tails between their legs.

For example, when the 335i came about, there was a massive fuss, because it was the first petrol BMW with a turbo in over 20 years and BMW had always extolled the virtues of naturally aspirated petrol engines. Then once people drove it they said it was like a large capacity NA engine because there was no lag and the throttle response and noise were as good as an NA BMW six. I've never driven an N54 but it certainly sounds awesome and it has the best of both worlds in that it pulls like a diesel at low revs but then as the revs increase it's a like a proper petrol engine with no let up until the redline.

One might have expected when they decided to go wrong wheel drive they would have made the ride and handling so good it would confound the critics, but it's very clear that it's not even that good by the standards of the class, so that means it's totally rubbish for a BMW - the self-proclaimed makers of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" after all.

I really believe they no longer care (certainly at that end of the market) about how good their cars are, they quite arrogantly point out that the badge will be enough for many. Unfortunately, they're probably right. As an aside, it really amused me how in the just released promo material for the 2 series cabrio how they made an issue of the fact that it's the only car in its segment with wait for it.... rear wheel drive!

And in their technology section of their global website, there is a bit about that thing that always distinguised them from everyone else - rear wheel drive.

This isn't personal opinion, this is what BMW themselves say about the advantages of rear wheel drive:

"BMW's characteristic agility and dynamic performance are the keys to driving pleasure. Rear-wheel drive is an important part of this, providing ideal thrust for perfect performance.

The best solution for vehicle dynamics is the standard drive, with the engine at the front and the drive force at the back, a division of labour that has a positive influence on steering, motion and comfort. Rear-wheel drive enables the characteristic BMW weight distribution of almost exactly 50% on the front axle and 50% on the rear."

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/rear_wheel_drive.html

And there's a nice YouTube video from BMW explaining why rear wheel drive is in their opinion better than front wheel drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHejSP27wis

Wise words from the BMW people there. So how is making a front wheel drive 2 series (or anything with the blue and white propellor badge) right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

by. The F30 has most certainly been criticised for its driving dynamics (unless you buy it with the very expensive adapative suspension, and how many people are going to do that? Hardly any I reckon)

On a side note I have it on mine, it was around 700 quid - hardly very expensive

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

You can always spec the 2 series with x-drive, which is biased to rear wheel drive, if it's such an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

On a side note I have it on mine, it was around 700 quid - hardly very expensive

How do you find the adaptive suspension. Did you get a chance to compare it to the standard setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I haven't driven one without it bar a short test drive although I recently drove a 4 gran coupe for about 10 miles and it seemed as if there was a good bit more roll in it, but tbf it was a different car/engine to mine. You can't disable it to compare.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thankfully at least the new car is rear wheel drive, I swear if Jaguar hadn't bothered making this car rear wheel drive BMW would probably be making the next generation 3 series front wheel drive in addition to all the other models that are going to drive the wrong wheels over the next few years:rolleyes:.

On a tangent, but I can't take any post seriously that includes the phrase "wrong wheel drive" - sorry

I've driven several BMWs at this stage - E39 and E60's including a 525 MSport and 530d - and they're nothing to write home about.. slow, small, noisy and very badly laid out interiors IMO

The E39 still looks well externally but it's really aged badly otherwise. The E60 looks good in black, but the iDrive is terrible (and literally clunky), the controls are all over the place and having "wrong way" wipers is a cheapskate move for a supposedly "premium" car

The 5 is supposed to be an A6 alternative but I can tell you the C6/C7 A6 surpasses it in every way. Pitch it against an A4 and you have a fairer battle. Similarly the 3 is better pitched against an A3 these days.

What they have more than any other car in that segment is badge appeal, but the engineering and design has been lagging behind for years.

Advertisement