Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whey Protein - Beginner Q

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hi

ive just recently bought some whey protein and have never used it before so have a beginners question :D

it says on the pack I bought to use 25g scoop in 150-250ml of water. if I am only using whey after the gym should I be using more than 25g of whey? it seems a small amount compared to what I see other people in the gym using and they all seem to have a lot more water in their shakes than 150-250ml so I take it they are using more than 25g whey :o

I am looking to put on some muscle not looking to get too big.

any advice would be really helpful :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BigProblem wrote: »
    hi

ive just recently bought some whey protein and have never used it before so have a beginners question :D

it says on the pack I bought to use 25g scoop in 150-250ml of water. if I am only using whey after the gym should I be using more than 25g of whey? it seems a small amount compared to what I see other people in the gym using and they all seem to have a lot more water in their shakes than 150-250ml so I take it they are using more than 25g whey :o

I am looking to put on some muscle not looking to get too big.

any advice would be really helpful :)

It's kinda hard to assess how much is enough without knowing how much protein you consume over the course of the day.

But the guidance on the pack is just the ratio of whey to liquid. If you want 2 scoops, up the liquid accordingly.

And don't worry, you won't get too big unless you put in a hell of a lot of work. It doesn't happen by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

It's kinda hard to assess how much is enough without knowing how much protein you consume over the course of the day.

But the guidance on the pack is just the ratio of whey to liquid. If you want 2 scoops, up the liquid accordingly.

And don't worry, you won't get too big unless you put in a hell of a lot of work. It doesn't happen by accident.

I wudnt be consuming too much protein throughout the day - three chicken fillets, 3 eggs is all.

BigProblem wrote: »
    I wudnt be consuming too much protein throughout the day - three chicken fillets, 3 eggs is all.

It is just a protein supplement so it's just the same as eating more eggs and chicken, to a degree.

I'll assume it's something of the order of 18g of protein per scoop. 2-3 scoops wouldn't be excessive but there's no point in taking it unless you're putting in proper work in the gym to make use of ut

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

It is just a protein supplement so it's just the same as eating more eggs and chicken, to a degree.

I'll assume it's something of the order of 18g of protein per scoop. 2-3 scoops wouldn't be excessive but there's no point in taking it unless you're putting in proper work in the gym to make use of ut

ok thanks for your advice...

I will be putting the work in the gym anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

You would be better off taking smaller amounts of whey at different times. If you take more than a scoop in an hour you will only end up pi$$ing it out.

Try take half scoop shakes but take them throughout the day. There is loads of info online about how much protein you will need for your body weight. I am around 12 stone and I try hit 120-140g of protein per day.

Edit: I try get it naturally but it can be hard bloody work! Nobody likes the guy eating tuna at his desk...

• Advertisement

You would be better off taking smaller amounts of whey at different times. If you take more than a scoop in an hour you will only end up pi$$ing it out.

That's a myth that's been long since debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Try take half scoop shakes but take them throughout the day. There is loads of info online about how much protein you will need for your body weight. I am around 12 stone and I try hit 120-140g of protein per day.

In general it's 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, or if a person is over 20% bodyfat you would go with 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That doesn't happen. If it did, you could eat massive lean steaks not put on fat as you pi$$ away the calories, but you obviously can't do that.
    Edit: I try get it naturally but it can be hard bloody work! Nobody likes the guy eating tuna at his desk...
    120g is pretty easy naturally, thats not alot. A small 200g portion of meat provides 50-60g. One at lunch and dinner and you'll be there, and thats with about 2000 more cals to eat for the day.

Mellor wrote: »
    That doesn't happen. If it did, you could eat massive lean steaks not put on fat as you pi$$ away the calories, but you obviously can't do that.

I thought the difference was that solids like steaks are harder to break down and spend longer in the gut, therefore giving the body more time to absorb.

Whereas, with the whey, it is a solution and easily passes through the gut.

TBH, this is just what I read. There is so much different "studies" out there that totally tell conflicting stories. But this particular one made sense to me (even if it was paid for by a protein co).

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-whey-too-much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I thought the difference was that solids like steaks are harder to break down and spend longer in the gut, therefore giving the body more time to absorb.

TBH, this is just what I read. There is so much different "studies" out there that totally tell conflicting stories. But this particular one made sense to me (even if it was paid for by a protein co).

Check out the link below. De bunks the myth pretty well.

LINK

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Check out the link below. De bunks the myth pretty well.

LINK

I think we are talking about different things. My point is that there is a finite amount of time for your gut to absorb whey protein. It does it at a certain rate. If your dose exceeds the rate in terms of the finite time, you end up just passing the protein.

The article you sent on is more about the body's usage when it is present in its system, i am talking about getting it into the system....I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

Interesting point in that article that I was happy to see....

"From this study it’s also evident that higher doses of whey protein are better absorbed if you take digestive enzymes at the same time. When you do this, you get higher amino acid levels in your blood, so that you have more available to your muscles and other tissues"

I've been taking digestive enzymes with my protein for about a year now after I saw hall of fame bodybuilder Leroy Colbert talking about them, I definitely feel better and less gassy after large doses of protein, my body is obviously utilizing the aminos more efficiently.

Lee_Torre wrote: »
    Interesting point in that article that I was happy to see....

"From this study it’s also evident that higher doses of whey protein are better absorbed if you take digestive enzymes at the same time. When you do this, you get higher amino acid levels in your blood, so that you have more available to your muscles and other tissues"

I've been taking digestive enzymes with my protein for about a year now after I saw hall of fame bodybuilder Leroy Colbert talking about them, I definitely feel better and less gassy after large doses of protein, my body is obviously utilizing the aminos more efficiently.

You're probably talking micro grams extra. The bio avaialbility of whey is already up in the 90+ percentage.

You're probably talking micro grams extra. The bio avaialbility of whey is already up in the 90+ percentage.
    Well, the thing is, after my workouts I usually get both solid proteins and whey, so when I say "take my protein" I'm cover a few different bases. Not only speaking of whey, you're right about the bio-availability of whey, it's pretty awesome already. But any edge is good.

It's refers to the speed of digestion not the percent thats bioavailible.

I think we are talking about different things. My point is that there is a finite amount of time for your gut to absorb whey protein. It does it at a certain rate. If your dose exceeds the rate in terms of the finite time, you end up just passing the protein.
    At first glance, that might sound logical. Drink too much and it gets pee'd out before you absorb it. But it's makes no sense if you actually think about it.

It can't get to bladder without being absorbed into the bloodstream?
    The pathway is; absorbed from the gut into the bloodstream, the kidneys clean the blood of waste and pass waste to the bladder and you pee it out.

So you can't pi$$ it out without it getting into the bloodstream first. And as we established in the previous link. Once its in, it gets used.

The link you posted, made a few ridiculous suggestions and jump to a stupid conclusion, in order to make their point, or should I say sell you something.
    Little Miss Muffet drank a 50 gram whey protein shake. Since Miss Muffet can absorb only 10 grams every hour. How long does it take for Miss Muffet to absorb all the protein?
    50 grams / 10 grams per hour = 5 hours
    So, it would take 5 hours to digest all that protein. But remember, we have only 1.5 hours to get ‘er done. Therefore Miss Muffet has no chance of absorbing all of it. She’ll absorb – at most – 15 grams. And the other 35 grams? Well, they’re wasted. Unless…

As they point out later, 50g whey is 42.5g protein, so the time is closer to 4 hours - but thats not whats wrong with their suggestion.

The idea of a 1.5 hour window is nonsense. Assuming their numbers are true (they probably aren't), if the liquid gets absorbed after 1.5 hours. The protein is left behind. How are they jumping to the conclusions that this is no longer usable?
    They just told it it gets absorbed at a rate of 10g per hour, so it'll just sit their still digesting for another 2.5 hours or so.

/debunk

Question, if you boys could oblige. I go to the gym 3 times a week and complete a full body workout when there. I have been trying to change up my exercises periodically as I have heard this is essential (I definitely get lazy on this).
    For about 36 hours after my workout I get my 1.8g of protein per kg of body weight.

Sometimes I would have a 2 day rest period and on the 2nd day, I would not load up on protein and carbs because I feel I won't use it.

Am I following a nonsense routine? A good few people tell me I have to change my gym workouts to dedicated muscle groups and go more. If I am honest, I like working out 3 days a week and I prefer to cover a good lot of different muscle groups while I am there. But if I have to change, I will.

I am 6'1" and 12 Stone. So fairly slim. I don't want to put on major mass but would like to look like the modern day footballers. I know I have to shred but thought it better to build some muscle first. Been going to the gym now for only 8 months but not seeing massive gains.

Any advice?

Am I following a nonsense routine? A good few people tell me I have to change my gym workouts to dedicated muscle groups and go more. If I am honest, I like working out 3 days a week and I prefer to cover a good lot of different muscle groups while I am there. But if I have to change, I will

You're not following a ridiculous routine at all. Full body workouts are most definitely highly effective once done right. What's the routine you're doing?
    Question, if you boys could oblige. I go to the gym 3 times a week and complete a full body workout when there. I have been trying to change up my exercises periodically as I have heard this is essential (I definitely get lazy on this).
    For about 36 hours after my workout I get my 1.8g of protein per kg of body weight.

Sometimes I would have a 2 day rest period and on the 2nd day, I would not load up on protein and carbs because I feel I won't use it.
    You don't need to go low on protein and carbs. The important thing is a calorie surplus everyday (obviously not if you've taken a lot of days off the gym) with adequate protein to enable muscle growth. You can cycle carbs and fats if you like but I don't think you need that right now. You need to eat more to gain muscle.

You're not following a ridiculous routine at all. Full body workouts are most definitely highly effective once done right. What's the routine you're doing?

Shoulder press, dumbbell bench press, lat pull down, flyes, squats, trx rows, tricep dips, pull ups (inside and outside grips), press ups on medicine ball, planks, leg raises, leg press, bicep curl, rope pull down

The bold items, i do each time. The non-bold I rotate. 3 sets, 8 reps. I try to do supersets to get my heart rate up but my gym is busy so sometimes if I land a bench, i hold onto it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Um does that study not just say that amino acids are better for improving protein synthesis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So I normally drink 50g of whey after a workout but I don't follow the dosing guidelines of 30g/250ml water, I make it to about 50g/860ml of water and drink it to aid hydration. Would I be better sticking to a dose of 50g/500ml water and then just drinking plain water if I need it? Or is the way I'm doing it still going to be okay to absorb the protein in the whey fully?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So I normally drink 50g of whey after a workout but I don't follow the dosing guidelines of 30g/250ml water, I make it to about 50g/860ml of water and drink it to aid hydration. Would I be better sticking to a dose of 50g/500ml water and then just drinking plain water if I need it? Or is the way I'm doing it still going to be okay to absorb the protein in the whey fully?

It doesn't make a difference.
    The recommended water is mostly for taste/consistency. You could eat it dry in you wanted (or where able)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ok just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the protein uptake by using more water than recommended.

Also thinking of buying some bulk powder online, 5kgs of some flavored whey. This would be almost a years supply for me, is there any issues with best before dates? And the prices generally seem to be €70 for 5kg of flavoured whey from either Myprotein or BulkPowders. Is €70 a good price or are there ever sales/promotions that make it lower? I have 500g of Holland and Barrett whey right now so I've enough to last me another month before I need to buy.

I'd be very surprised if they'd have a Best Before date that's less than a year away. Last one I got had BBE date that was 15 months after it arrived.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ok just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the protein uptake by using more water than recommended.

Also thinking of buying some bulk powder online, 5kgs of some flavored whey. This would be almost a years supply for me, is there any issues with best before dates? And the prices generally seem to be €70 for 5kg of flavoured whey from either Myprotein or BulkPowders. Is €70 a good price or are there ever sales/promotions that make it lower? I have 500g of Holland and Barrett whey right now so I've enough to last me another month before I need to buy.

If using myprotein use code GROUPIE15 for 15% off.

If using myprotein use code GROUPIE15 for 15% off.

Nice! Thanks!

Advertisement