Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 35: Drunken Pork

• 03-09-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

James’ Drunken Pork
    Hey sorry about this not having pics but should be easy to follow without.

You’ll need the following

Pork chops – cut into strips (fat cut off optional)
    Salt / Pepper /Sage
    Oil
    Onion
    Bottle/Can of beer
    Cream
    Potato + Chives & Butter

1. To begin cut your pork chops into strip. I cut the fat off but you don't need to. Season this well with salt and pepper.
    2. Heat some oil in a wok or a large pot.
    3. Add the meat in and let it cook. In the meantime slice an onion and add into the pot. you can also add the sage in here, fresh or dried which ever you have to hand.
    4. Once the meat has browned off add 95%* of can or bottle of your favorite beer into the mix. Last time I used Peroni and 'twas delicious (the other 5% is for the obligatory swig )
    5. Reduce the heat and let the liquid reduce and thicken a little, stirring occasionally.
    6. While this is happening cook some potato and other veg you like. I used carrots the last time.
    7. Just before the potato is cooked add a nice about of cream to the pot/wok and bring it up to temperature.
    8. Mash your spuds with chives and butter.
    9. Serve the strips of chop with the mash and other veg and maybe open another bottle or can... after all it is Friday ;).

Enjoy =)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sounds great, and easy to make too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sounds lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I don't like the stuff, but would it be good cooked in Cider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I don't like the stuff, but would it be good cooked in Cider?

Never tried it with cider, don't like it so probably won't either. But it's not strong or anything with the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Never tried it with cider, don't like it so probably won't either. But it's not strong or anything with the beer.

It sounds lovely. I don't like Cider either to be honest, but they reckon pork and apple go together!

• Advertisement

It sounds lovely. I don't like Cider either to be honest, but they reckon pork and apple go together!

Yeah true, go for it sure :) and let me know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I've made something very similar to this, using cider and adding a healthy dollop of mustard to the sauce at the end. Dijon or wholegrain, not English or you'll have no sinuses left. It's delicious and it takes no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

This is on the menu for tonight!

Galadriel wrote: »
    This is on the menu for tonight!

hope you're still alive :P .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made this last night and it went down very well! :)

• Advertisement

I made this last night and it went down very well! :)

Awesome - glad you enjoyed :)

hope you're still alive :P .

It was really tasty, I will definitely be making it again, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

emaleth wrote: »
    I've made something very similar to this, using cider and adding a healthy dollop of mustard to the sauce at the end. Dijon or wholegrain, not English or you'll have no sinuses left. It's delicious and it takes no time at all.

Absolutely, I'd nearly prefer it with cider, nice dry cider with plenty of bite. Nothing too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Oh this was delicious! Difficult to get it looking pretty so I'll spare you the photo; very tasty though, thanks OP!

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Difficult to get it looking pretty so I'll spare you the photo; !

No worries... sure it all comes out the same way ;) hahaha

Made this again last night, very tasty, how long do you normally leave it to reduce down as I find it takes a long time? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Made this last weekend, only difference was I left the chops whole and added a good spoon on wholegrain mustard. Served with mash & some veg, great comfort food, really enjoyed it!

Galadriel wrote: »
    Made this again last night, very tasty, how long do you normally leave it to reduce down as I find it takes a long time? Cheers.

as long as it takes... i've never really timed to be honest ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Really enjoyed this thank you! Will add less beer next time as sauce was too funny for me, liked the taste though!

Advertisement