Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread V2.0

• 02-08-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much. I'm still on the first set I bought about 3-4 years ago so the design may have improved and I may be better off just buying a new set when these go on the blink again.

On another topic, how are you finding the PS4? Is it worth picking one up for Destiny alone?

He he, I would be the worst person to ask. Since I got wii U I have not turned on my PS4. I still love PS4, but even now I can play all the stuff on PC, that I could be playing on PS4. Plus why should I pay 70eu per game, that I can get for 20eu on PC.
    As for Destiny, I am not really excited about it m8. I was never fan of Halo games, so Bungie is not some sort off Icon of boners. It looks okay and I might pick it up at some point, but I doubt I will bother on launch.
    If you are interested in Destiny, then next gen is the only way to go. Look at this comparising video and PS4 just looks plainly better.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

As with all Boards.ie Mega-Threads (yes we have one in here!) the Off-Topic thread has died from its own obesity! But not to fear, for here it has been reborn! Dedicated to ED E for claiming the 10,000th post in the previous thread! murderer

And for a more seamless experience here be the last post from the old thread shamelessly copypasta'd ^

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

fyeah.jpg

Sorry, could not resist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

This thread is logically impossible. All allowed posts must stick to the topic of the thread. The topic is "off topic". So, if you're off topic...you're on topic. But if you're on topic...you're off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

Luck100 wrote: »
    This thread is logically impossible. All allowed posts must stick to the topic of the thread. The topic is "off topic". So, if you're off topic...you're on topic. But if you're on topic...you're off topic.

That's far to deep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TKpTB2f.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

P5ORDUK.gif

MSI are showing off their new X99 boards. I think the all black would look deadly in a Silverstone FT05.

22a.jpg
    MSI-X99S-SLI-Plus-Motherboard-LGA-2011-3-Haswell-E-1024x705.jpg

More here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Have my eye on that X99 board alright. Doubt I can afford a Haswell-E build though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

And the first 750ti thats passively cooled has appeared

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GTX_750_Ti_KalmX/

pressshot.jpg

Oak76 wrote: »
    Have my eye on that X99 board alright. Doubt I can afford a Haswell-E build though.

Imagine pricing will be similar to 4820k, 4930k and 4960, it will be interesting to see how much they charge for DDR4 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

glynf wrote: »
    MSI are showing off their new X99 boards. I think the all black would look deadly in a Silverstone FT05.

Any further news on when the FT05 is being released? Seems like ages since first heard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

My new graphics card arrived yesterday, was only when I looked at the box I realized that I actually ordered the R9 290- in my head I thought I was getting a 290x! It's the Sapphire Tri-X, I think the X in that confused me.. Still a fine card though, have to get home later and install it.

deejer wrote: »
    Any further news on when the FT05 is being released? Seems like ages since first heard about it.

Supposedly they are trying to release it before September, no fixed date yet though. Thinking of changing the FT02 as well? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads, what would be a good card for 1080p gaming at High/Ultra settings for about 250/<300?

I feel like the 5850 I have is starting to call it a day for newer games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

R9 280x!

Great value card.

Going from a 5850 is a massive upgrade as well :)

Should be able to get 50 or 60 for that 5850 as well.

R9 280x!

Great value card.

Going from a 5850 is a massive upgrade as well :)

Should be able to get 50 or 60 for that 5850 as well.

I had a 280x but had to send it back :( Apparently an issue with the batch of cards :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just surpassed 2000 hours of Dota 2. Should I be proud? :P

44813d1398097134-review-wavetrac-limited-slip-differential-q4z0ltl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

then again I've just passed 1200 hours of csgo!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well, you now can question someone's mother's sexual habits in half a dozen languages which I suppose is something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I've played a grand total of 5 minutes of Dota 2. Just enough time to start up a game and realise I really don't like this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

glynf wrote: »
    Supposedly they are trying to release it before September, no fixed date yet though. Thinking of changing the FT02 as well? :)

Yep! Haven't come across a case that I consider a worthy replacement yet and I am hoping this will be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

AnandTech article on midrange desktop builds for AMD and Intel.

Obviously the builds are based on availability in the US, but it should give people an idea of what to buy.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8356/best-desktops-for-under-a-grand
    Midrange AMD System
    Component Description Price
    CPU AMD A10-7850K (4x3.7-4.0GHz, 4MB, 95W, 28nm) $170
    Motherboard MSI A88X-G43 $78
    RAM Team Vulcan 2x4GB DDR3-2133 CL10 1.65V $78
    Storage Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB $84
    SSD Crucial MX100 256GB $109
    Case Fractal Design Core 3300 $63
    Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 450W 80 Plus Gold $60
    Subtotal $642
    GPU (Optional) Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB $190
    GPU (Alternative) Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB $138
    Total with GPU $832
    Midrange Intel System
    Component Description Price
    CPU Core i5-4590 (4x3.3-3.7GHz, 6MB, 84W, 22nm) $200
    Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary $90
    RAM ADATA 2x4GB DDR3-1866 CL10 1.5V $77
    Storage Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB $84
    SSD Crucial MX100 256GB $109
    Case Antec Three Hundred Two $64
    Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 450W 80 Plus Gold $60
    Subtotal $684
    GPU (Optional) Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB $190
    GPU (Alternative) Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB $138
    Total with GPU $874

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not sure I'd get an APU with a graphics card - even though they're listing it as optional to have a GPU.

However, the boards are better for FM2. Very poor selection of mATX and almost non-existant mini-ITX boards for AM3+ around anymore. It seems to be ATX or nothing, unless you want to settle for old chipsets.
    I wonder why they don't just throw in an athlon for FM2 instead. Save a bit and it's still the four cores.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Sockel+FM2/157299/AMD+Athlon+X4+760K+Black+Edition+Box%2C+4x+3%2C80GHz%2C+FM2.article

Not good when a new GPU (770) resulted in the machine not getting to POST and the motherboard needing to be moved to a different series of bios updates for this to get resolved while the update software from MSI insisted I should stay on the older series of updates and that this was up to date while their site suggested the newer series.

At least it's all working now, I hate having issues pre-POST with machines. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be honest, I think those lists are total ****e. Why would you chose an APU when you could buy a dedicated CPU that's as fast for half that price? I know they say the GPU's are optional, but to be honest, the a10 is light years away from mid-range gaming with it's integrated GPU - and when you've got a budget like that, you wouldn't be considering an APU anyway. Dunno what Anandtech are smoking but those are absolutely terrible uses of a decent budget, though the Intel build is decent enough. I reckon there must have been some sort of advertising incentive on their part!

I can understand the place of APUs in desktops when people want ultra thin, ultra quiet mid-power machines. Not proper gaming machines sure, but for many people dedicated cards are a waste for what they'll be doing. For general gaming though, yeah I can't understand why someone would go the APU route for a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Hello lads, do any of you remember an 'old' alternative to Steam regarding the social aspect? I remember it being quite big back around 2005-2008, but can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I remember it having a blue sort of background, friends, chat, achievements, time played, videos, screenshots and the like. Been trying to Google it, seen Playfire and that set me off, but then googling that I'm pretty sure that's not what it was. Driving me mad here, anyone any ideas?

Gamespy? Impulse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Hello lads, do any of you remember an 'old' alternative to Steam regarding the social aspect? I remember it being quite big back around 2005-2008, but can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I remember it having a blue sort of background, friends, chat, achievements, time played, videos, screenshots and the like. Been trying to Google it, seen Playfire and that set me off, but then googling that I'm pretty sure that's not what it was. Driving me mad here, anyone any ideas?

Xfire?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement