Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Energia dual rate [18% off Elec & 17% off of Gas]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

mazdaroy wrote: »
    And to which read did EI bill you up to? The one taken on the 1st October? (the one used to register with Energia).
    apologies slight correction on my dates as the reading used was of the 9th not the 17th. It said they read the meter and billed me for 35 days up to the 9th October looking at my bill there now. Previous bill was up to 4th September which would make it 35 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

Energia still the cheapest to go with? Its what my research is saying but I said I'd ask here before switching to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I'd say they are. In case you didn't read the whole thread make sure to use the code ENER17 for the discounted rates.
    Also: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

flyguy wrote: »
    I'd say they are. In case you didn't read the whole thread make sure to use the code ENER17 for the discounted rates.
    Also: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

Sound. I saw SAVEME but not ENER17. I'll be signing up tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

SAVEME expired, going by the info on moneyguideIreland maybe ENER17 has as well (although that was never a publicly advertised code).

• Advertisement

Signed up last night. ENER17 still working incase anyone is wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

rang about getting the 17% and 18% deal and the €50 cashback - girl on phone said its one or the other
    Email from energia said yes i get both...

just wait and see I suppose

cashback offer is for the first bill of 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I signed up today and checked which promo codes were working.
    The 'SmartChoice Dual Fuel' plan gives a discount of 15% off the gas unit rate and 16% off the electric unit rate.

If you use either the promo codes 'SAVE307' or 'USWITCH' you will get 16% off gas and 17% off electricity.

If you use either the promo codes 'SAVEME' or 'ENER17' you will get 17% off gas and 18% off electricity.

There is no longer any mention of the €50 cash-back offer that was available last month. So I assume that is now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

To complete the discount you have to sign up for online billing etc, so don't be caught, sign up straight away.

The lips wrote: »
    To complete the discount you have to sign up for online billing etc, so don't be caught, sign up straight away.

Thank you for that. Will sign up for online billing now!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Shower of idiots lost my details, it's as well I checked or else my power and gas would have both been cut off! Not too mention where have my bank details gone to as I signed up for direct debit!

Never go near them if you know what's good for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yowch, I've found them pretty good so far, but noted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Looks like the Energia discount is now not quite as good when you factor in the cashback deals from the others. Best deal is go gas with Energia and Elec with Airtricity - see
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Just be aware that if you signed up for the 50euro off your first electricty bill (online signup) in 2015 that this deal promoted it may not be on the bill. At least its not on my first bill which I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Just be aware that if you signed up for the 50euro off your first electricty bill (online signup) in 2015 that this deal promoted it may not be on the bill. At least its not on my first bill which I checked.

I was a bit late to receive the 50 euro offer myself. But I do seem to remember that is stated that the 50 cashback would appear on your second bill.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Considering going for the Energia promo.

I take it the deal is only for a year, any idea what their rates are like normally compared to Bord Gais (I have dual fuel with BG)?

Also is it easy enough to move from them at the end of the year if I decide?
    Hi mrcheez

All our price plans and promotions are subject to a one year contract. Our standard unit rates are 16.99c for electricity (24 hr urban rate) and 5.29c for gas.

Once your year is up, you are free to move to another provider if you wish.

It's one year since I signed up to this with the above promo discounts, any idea if they will carry them forward past the 12 months?

I'm happy enough with the service but obviously want to get the best price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Malik Careful Physicist

Any discount rate I've been on with suppliers always ended after the discount period and so was charged standard rates after the 12/18 months.

I signed up with Energia a few months back and they confirmed standard rates apply after my 12 months.

Ah well, time to check switcher.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

mrcheez wrote: »
    Ah well, time to check switcher.ie
    They dont like to lose a customer, I'll be pushing for continuation of the duel fuel offer when my 12mths in up & if not I will switch, the customer has the ace card so we have to use it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Any discount rate I've been on with suppliers always ended after the discount period and so was charged standard rates after the 12/18 months.

I signed up with Energia a few months back and they confirmed standard rates apply after my 12 months.

Electric Ireland always have a 'loyalty' bonus for staying with them at the end of the contract period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The zero disruption change (compared to the either minor or fairly major disruption/annoyance caused by changing anything else from car insurance to bins to broadband) means utility firms are usually very quick to give you whatever new customer offer there is - except cashback usually - when you phone them after your discount ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kranbo

I have been with Energia for the 12 months (gas & electricity)and have found them great to deal with. I e-mailed re any offers when my current contract expired and they offered me a slightly lower reduction than i am currently on but compares favourably with other supp;iers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Malik Careful Physicist

Only offered to a select few. I have a post about it in the Electric Ireland forum.

Always check the comparison sites coming up to your contract end date and obviously give your current supplier a call to see what they can offer you. Don't presume you'll stay on the same rate.
    Goes with any supplier. ..gas electric comms bank etc.
    tallpaul wrote: »
    Electric Ireland always have a 'loyalty' bonus for staying with them at the end of the contract period.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

L1011 wrote: »
    The zero disruption change (compared to the either minor or fairly major disruption/annoyance caused by changing anything else from car insurance to bins to broadband) means utility firms are usually very quick to give you whatever new customer offer there is - except cashback usually - when you phone them after your discount ends.

I've tried asking my current provider a couple of times in the past - no luck. On my last change earlier this year I didn't even bother.

Disruption / Annoyance: a few clicks on line, fill in your meter numbers, meter readings and your direct debit details and the switch completes itself (about 30m time in total I guess for both gas and electricity?)

Will try ringing next time though - just for the craic :)

anyone know the deal with giving notice to energia. according to bonkers.ie if i switch to SSE i will save a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

guile4582 wrote: »
    anyone know the deal with giving notice to energia. according to bonkers.ie if i switch to SSE i will save a ton

how long have you been with energia?

ted1 wrote: »
    how long have you been with energia?

signed up end of Oct last year on dual fuel

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

unkel wrote: »
    Disruption / Annoyance: a few clicks on line, fill in your meter numbers, meter readings and your direct debit details and the switch completes itself (about 30m time in total I guess for both gas and electricity?)

That was my point - its so easy to change that they have very, very little inertia holding people there. Compare to a broadband supplier (new routers or changing PPPoE settings), car insurer (scanning documents), bin company (having both sets of bins around for a while) and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

guile4582 wrote: »
    signed up end of Oct last year on dual fuel
    You most likely have a 12 month contract from the sign up date. If you move before that you may have to pay a break fee for exiting the contract early.

I switched providers from energia last month after over 12 months with them and never called them about changing. The sent me letter confirming the end of service provision with them for both gas and electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Now 20% off electric and 17% off gas

Advertisement