Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 24: Crab Linguine with Thai Flavours

• 13-06-2014 8:37am
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I was lucky enough to grow up in a fishing village so fresh fish was on our doorstep, so I've a love of all fish, especially shellfish.

This is a lovely quick supper and perfect for summery evenings. It's one I threw together myself, so the quantities are approximate - adjust to your own taste. Its not too spicy, there is a subtle heat from the single chili but it doesnt overpower the crab.

This is a dinner that will do two greedy people.

6592F5B5-B594-43D3-8B72-7D5D37A8E0FA-13320-000010DAED772570_zps807b840a.jpg

The ingredients:

Crab meat - 150g is sufficient, but here I've used 200g and there is heaps.
    1 red chili, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped (tube stuff is fine too)
    2 limes
    1 heaped tablespoon ginger from a tube.
    1 heaped tablespoon lemongrass from a tube.
    1 large packet of coriander leaf
    Linguine
    Parmesan shavings (optional)

Method:

Add a decent glug of olive oil to a non stick pan, gently simmer the garlic and chilli for a few minutes. Add ginger, lemongrass and juice of 2 limes and stir.

Put your pasta on. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, add pasta and stir until it is submerged. Reduce to a simmer.

Returning to the sauce, add the crab meat. strip the coriander leaves off the stalks and add these in too, shortly before you are ready to serve. Taste and adjust the spices to suit yourself.

When your pasta is al dente, drain and dish up, spooning the crab mixture over it. Garnish with a few coriander leaves, and serve with Parmesan, a nice crusty warm bread, and either a nice wine or an Asian beer.

Enjoy! smile.png

A7A03C5B-9588-43D6-8035-93804BB22BB4-13320-000010DAF211B59F_zps1e77ac98.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looks delicious Neyite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Yum, can't wait to try this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

That looks lovely! It's going on my to do list!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Definitely trying this, I've never cooked with crab meat before. I tend to always have fresh ginger in the house but didn't realise lemongrass came in a tube, definitely purchasing this!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Definitely trying this, I've never cooked with crab meat before. I tend to always have fresh ginger in the house but didn't realise lemongrass came in a tube, definitely purchasing this!

I have one of these which ginger grates beautifully on - had it for years and still perfect, but have never tried to grate the lemongrass. I use the tubes for speed pure laziness for this particular dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Tried this tonight, it was really good. It was light and very tasty. The limes I had were very juicy/sharp though so I'd add a little less next time. I only had 140g of crab meat which was slightly too little as we were both starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I made this tonight, finally, and really enjoyed it. Very unusual flavours with pasta but it works! Tesco let me down on the lemongrass paste, so I improvised by infusing (get me!) the oil with some chopped lemongrass and removing it before I added the crab.

It was lovely, I'd do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I am SO dying to try this!! Will definitely be picking up the ingredients I don't have on my next shopping trip! Thanks OP! :)

Advertisement