Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 12: Piña Colada Cake

• 28-03-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

I was going to post a salmon recipe, but as we had fish last week, I'm going with a tasty and easy cake. This might come in handy, seeing that it's Mothers' Day this Sunday:

Piña Colada Cake

7-8 pineaple slices, drained (tinned)
    7-8 amarena cherries
    125g unsalted butter
    160g brown sugar
    200g plain flour
    25g fine oat flakes (porridge oats)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    25g dessicated coconut
    1 pinch ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Salt
    125ml buttermilk
    2 medium eggs

Preheat the oven to 200C (180C for a fan oven)

1) Drain the pineapple slices well. Carefully dry the cherries on kitchen paper. Grease a 26cm springform tin with 25g of the butter. Sprinkle the base of the tin with 80g of the brown sugar. Then top with the pineapple slices, making sure they are as tight as possible. Pop a cherry into the middle of each pineapple ring.

2) Melt the remaining 100g of butter over a low heat. Mix flour, oat flakes, baking powder and dessicated coconut in a bowl. In another bowl mix eggs, the remaining sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and 1 pinch of salt. Beat with an electric handmixer for about 5 minutes until the mix is very thick and mousse-like.

3) Slowly add the melted butter, stirring constantly, then add the buttermilk. Add the flour mix and briefly incorporate with a spoon. Don't stir for any longer than necessary. Pour the dough over the pineapple and spread it carefully with a spatula. Bake on a low shelf for 30 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes. Carefully remove the rim of the springform tin, put a platter over the cake and carefully turn the cake over.

Photos to follow, once I have access to the laptop. Can't upload photos from the iPad.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I want to make this tomorrow how difficult is it get amarena cherries? Would SuperValu sell them?

Or is there an alternative I can use

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

John Mason wrote: »
    I want to make this tomorrow how difficult is it get amarena cherries? Would SuperValu sell them?

Or is there an alternative I can use

Aldi have them at the moment, in little jars.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-20th-february/products-detail-page/ps/p/amarena-cherries-1/

I notice that page is dated Feb 20th, but they still had them in my local Aldi this evening.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Won't be in aldi tomorrow, will just check SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I bought a stash in Aldi, but I'm pretty sure I've bought some in Tesco before. if you are stuck, Morello cherries should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Just hope you're logging on soon, making this right this minute and you don't have how many eggs are in the recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Just hope you're logging on soon, making this right this minute and you don't have how many eggs are in the recipe?

I would guess that 2 large or 3 medium eggs will do you just fine in this recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Oops read thru the recipe repeatedly and never noticed i omitted the eggs :o
    You need 2 medium eggs

Can't edit my original post, would a mod be able to do that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Made this today, didn't quite get the egg mix to mousse consistency was still fairly runny but was very tasty anyway

Advertisement