Can you change a wheel?? - Page 7 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Can you change a wheel?
Yep, like a boss! 221 85.66%
Nope, that's what the mobile phone is for... 37 14.34%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

24-02-2014, 03:09   #91
le la rat
Closed Account

Yep because my Dad invented the wheel
Advertisement
24-02-2014, 08:58   #92
taxAHcruel
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ie View Post
Might sounds like a stupid question, but, do you know how to change a wheel on your car?
Yup. I do the whole winter tyres thing. So twice a year I have to change 12 wheels. Not paying someone to do it for me - waste of money - so I just go out twice a year and do my car and the girlfriends cars. Any excuse to get greasey and down a couple of beers while I work.
24-02-2014, 19:40   #93
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxAHcruel View Post
Yup. I do the whole winter tyres thing. So twice a year I have to change 12 wheels. Not paying someone to do it for me - waste of money - so I just go out twice a year and do my car and the girlfriends cars. Any excuse to get greasey and down a couple of beers while I work.
3 cars?? 2 girlfriends!!
or two six wheeled cars.
(2) thanks from:
24-02-2014, 19:41   #94
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnt View Post
You're kidding, right? Rotating tyres reduces uneven wear. So what if you have to buy four at once, if they all last longer overall? If the manufacturer says do it, then do it. If you don't believe me, see Wikipedia, or (even better) read this.
Only if the ones that are currently on the back are properly balanced, a lot of people skimp on getting the rear wheels balanced.
24-02-2014, 19:50   #95
BrokenArrows

I know how to do it but I was never shown how. The first time I needed to change a car tire I just put 2+2 together and got it done.

The problem is alot of people add 2+2 and get 50. Lol.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-02-2014, 19:52   #96
SamAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrows View Post
I know how to do it but I was never shown how. The first time I needed to change a car tire I just put 2+2 together and got it done.

The problem is alot of people add 2+2 and get 50. Lol.
Or people jack the car up without cracking the nuts first. Car rocks, car falls of jack, possible crushed foot.

Much LOL.
24-02-2014, 20:10   #97
Mint Sauce
Full of minty goodness.

Yes I can.

Any car related queries, I go to one of my uncles for. My car once failed the NCT on the CV Boots, went to my uncle to get it checked out, who promptly told me to take the wheel off my self before he took a look, and then again left me to put the wheel back on.

Was the first time I had ever done it, and thankfully have only to do once since.

Have done the odd repair since and prior, inluding a quick fix when my gear linkage broke, losing half the gears when sitting in traffic, and a broken wiper linkage in lashing rain, was enough on both occasions to get the car home and to my mechanic.

Good to know some of the basics, giving you a better understanding of how thething works.
24-02-2014, 20:43   #98
veryangryman

I've seen it done and I get the procedure BUT.....

I'm a clumsy guy by nature and my biggest fear is that car could collapse if the Jack slipped or something.

It's the same irrational fear that stopped me learning to drive till I was 23 but I rather leaving risky stuff on my 4 figure machine to the professionals.
24-02-2014, 20:43   #99
Mars Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ie View Post
Think I know it - it heads east out of Mountbellew. 10 miles of nothing, basically...
It'll bring ya to Ballyforan and Dysart from Mountbellow. 10 miles of nothing sums it up alright. Beware of the potholes if you're on that road for what ever reason!
Advertisement
24-02-2014, 20:51   #100
oldyouth
Closed Account

Proud moment for me back in the day. Myself & Mrs Oldyouth were invited to the launch of a car (some Renault, I think) in the Burlington hotel. Loads of free gargle and food etc. Part of the evening was a competition where they had a car in the centre and you had to change the front wheel with the back wheel and tighten both up to the correct torque against the clock.

Mrs Oldyouth was the only lady to give it a go and won the thing.
24-02-2014, 21:04   #101
Jurga78

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasers View Post
yes, it was the first thing my Dad taught me when I started driving.
mine too, I was 17 yo girl and had to change all 4 wheels 3 times for a lesson with Dad
24-02-2014, 21:08   #102
we'llallhavetea

be fairly fcuked if i didnt, them potholes, they come outta nowhere... i swear..
24-02-2014, 21:09   #103
Holsten

Yep sure can, have had to do it a couple of times.
24-02-2014, 21:23   #104
Darraghgt4

It should be included as a task during the driving test to be fair
24-02-2014, 21:45   #105
Mr Keek

Girlfriend got a puncture, we were in an underground hotel carpark.

She had the hubcaps tied on with cable ties and no way of cutting them, and absolutely no idea of changing the wheel. She of course makes a big deal of everything and whipped out the phone to call her rescue service.

I had a little penknife on my own keys, so I cut the Cable Ties and got to work on changing the wheel for her. By the time she got connected to the breakdown service after being on hold for 10mins, I had the flat off, the new wheel on, the car lowered and was about tighten the lug nuts. Told her to hang up.

...the guy on the phone told her it would be 90mins before a van could come out..,she made them come out!!!

After hanging up the phone she wanted me to put the flat wheel back on the car and let the "professional" do it. I said feck that, tightened the nuts and put everything back under the boot

I wasn't waiting around to see the look and the breakdown guys face, so i went back to the hotel washed my hands and went for a pint. I left her waiting by the car for 90mins. Told her to call me when she got some sense, or after the breakdown guy came, which ever came first... She waited for the breakdown guy!

When she called me, she said the Breakdown service guy came, he just have her the dirtiest look wondered why she didn't ring to cancel the call out, and when she explained she didn't trust me to change it, he gave her a bit of a telling off for wasting his time when he has people in need of actual assistance waiting.

Birds!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion