Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-02-2014, 21:53   #16
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphaph View Post
Is it just me or are those German aircraft actually cordoned off? There doesn't appear to be anyone mauling them at least. I grew up near Baldonnel so remember the airshows very well. Some years we went down to the aerodrome, some years we just sat on the shed roof! Great days really.
Well spotted........These Germans know the value of stuff,whilst the Mericans just make some more to replace whatever is destroyed....
Advertisement
09-02-2014, 21:57   #17
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
the Yanks learned the hard way in Shannon that year. The punters nicked everything that wasn't set in concrete from that Galaxy........at one of the Don airshows, the pilot of one of the Mirage 2000s was enraged to discover that the passing public used his tailpipe as a bin.I put a set of steps up to the tail and cleaned out the accumulated crisp bags and coke cans. Some other genius actually put a biro cap into the pitot tube of a Tornado.Fortunately, it melted when the pitot heat was selected and did not block the tube. there were several other incidents of public interference so the aircraft were cordoned off from then on.

regards
Stovepipe
Proof,if twas needed of Winston Churchills thinking on democracy.....

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”.....or Airshow attendee
09-02-2014, 22:59   #18
ectoraige

I just love that picture of the Galaxy with the Zig & Zag ice-cream van.
Thanks from:
10-02-2014, 13:54   #19
Franticfrank

Great pictures! I remember being at the Shannon show...was that 1989 or 1990? That level of access is unbelievable...I can imagine the anti-war crowd would strip the aircraft to the bone if that was allowed today.
Thanks from:
10-02-2014, 15:32   #20
Tenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by notharrypotter View Post
I feel the above comments are unfair.
An air show in Ireland in the 1990's would have been a big day out for most people.......Most would have not understood the significance of taking a "souvenir" of their visit.

Nor do I believe the organisers could foresee the dangers of "yokels" climbing all over their hardware.
I'm not sure how I was being 'unfair'. My comment was critical of the organisers. Of course people are going to see it as a big day out and want to touch the aircraft. The organisers should have barriers and supervision.

I had access to the EI staff party in 2011....even with all the attendees being aviation staff(who in theory should be familiar with the situation) or family of staff, there was discrete supervision of the light aircraft that were parked on the ramp. And the jets were out of bounds.
Advertisement
10-02-2014, 16:25   #21
notharrypotter

We are applying 2000+ standards to the 1990's.

In 1990 things were a lot less regulated and "security" did not command the power it has today.

An airshow was a huge deal. But organization and foresight were not respected or properly appreciated in Ireland at the time.

I attended a holiday fair in Shannon around that time.
It had a huge attendance with long queues.
Its easy to judge in hindsight but looking back I don't believe they expected the crowds that turned up.
10-02-2014, 16:30   #22
Tenger

Quote:
In 1990 things were a lot less regulated..........
But organization and foresight were not respected or properly appreciated in Ireland at the time.......
This (admittedly misquoted) statement sums up Ireland over the past 20 years.
Thanks from:
10-02-2014, 16:41   #23
Lapin

Quote:
We are applying 2000+ standards to the 1990's.

In 1990 things were a lot less regulated and "security" did not command the power it has today.

An airshow was a huge deal. But organization and foresight were not respected or properly appreciated in Ireland at the time.

Meanwhile in 2007. From RTÉ News

The Royal Air Force helicopter was being piloted by a 35-year-old man.

A report from the Air Accident Investigation Unit found that 400 members of the public were in the aircraft over several hours as the crew prepared to perform a static display.

The door fell from the helicopter which was hovering at around 40m over the public park close to the promenade at Salthill in Galway.

In the report, three spectators give accounts of the door falling to the ground.

A woman attending the airshow told inspectors that the door hit her in the chin before she fell to the ground.

The investigation team found that the event was not malicious but occurred as a result of, 'a mindless act of curiosity on the part of an unknown spectator.'

It also found that a contributory factor was the failure of the flight crew to detect the unsecured condition of the emergency exit during a pre-flight inspection.

Boards Thread
10-02-2014, 22:54   #24
folbotcar

I missed out on the Shannon airshow at the time. I was at most of the Baldonnel shows. Never managed to get close to anything. At RAF Valley the crowd were allowed into a C130 and a Shackleton. But it was well controlled.

At one of the Fairyhouse shows there was a CH 53 on static display. When I lifted up my little bro to look inside the cockpit. He hit his head on the open window. The slightly irritated crewman closed it after that leaving me redfaced.

But at Fairyhouse you were even close to flying aircraft. Really close. If you were in the stands you'd be looking down at some of them! I have a photo of a Bandeirante somewhere that probably wouldn't have cleared the final fence on the straight.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion