Solar panels & heating controls - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-01-2014, 12:32   #1
gambit83

Solar panels & heating controls

hi guys I thinking about getting in some solar panels and heating controls from the Energy Centre, has anyone used them before and how did they find them??
or can anyone recommend another company?? thanks
Advertisement
23-01-2014, 00:15   #2
Harryeve

Hi just thought I'd reply to your question. I'm a plumber with the energy centre just came across this thread. I'm obviously a bit biased but you won't find a better company around to fit your solars the job is done in 1 day and the house is left perfect. If there was ever any problems they have someone straight out to you so you have a great aftercare service.
Best of look
Thanks from:
23-01-2014, 09:26   #3
gambit83

great, thanks for responding
23-01-2014, 09:51   #4
ccsolar

Pm sent
23-01-2014, 23:22   #5
PhilipJ

No adds please use the pm function if you wish to recommend

Last edited by BryanF; 25-01-2014 at 18:12.
Advertisement
24-01-2014, 08:45   #6
ccsolar

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056233818/1
Are they still flogging solar panels for central heating??
24-01-2014, 09:30   #7
PhilipJ

Yes they are, Im looking to get as much info as i can on it as i am considering it.
24-01-2014, 09:31   #8
splanagan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Have you contacted Lets Talk Solar based in Mullingar? http://letstalksolar.ie/
I've seen one of these systems installed. Very fancy looking stuff but still gets me how it actually works. And also the cost is enormous to have it installed. Just couldn't justify it myself with out a solid guarantee of actual savings and not just some remote access map on the computer that shows you how systems are performing in Mayo. There is another company trying to plug this type of system now as well and to be honest with the guy who's owns the company they could not be trusted. Has anyone on here actually got the system installed?

As for the OP question. I think that the heating controls and boiler upgrade is a good idea and is worth the money. I have solar installed in my own house but it was intalled from new so if I was looking for some product to give me fuel savings it would have to be the boiler, controls as insulation and would skip the solar for now. Also the company mentioned is based not far from me. Good company but your going to be paying at least 15% more to cover sales commissions and marketing that goes on first. I'm assuming you were contacted at first by a telephone call. Well that has to be paid for then I'm assuming a sales rep or
"energy consultant" called to your home to meet you and spent at least an hour gong through a presenter etc. all just a fancy sales presentation, do your own research and then get quotes from recommended installers in your own area and go from there.
Thanks from:
24-01-2014, 09:45   #9
PhilipJ

Yes it is expensive and what you say makes sense. Im using approx 4000 litres of kerosene per year and my usage should drop down to 1500 per year with this system so should pay its self back within 5-6 years on today's oil prices. Im hoping someone here has had the system installed for feed back
Advertisement
24-01-2014, 09:52   #10
splanagan22

Quote:
Yes it is expensive and what you say makes sense. Im using approx 4000 litres of kerosene per year and my usage should drop down to 1500 per year with this system so should pay its self back within 5-6 years on today's oil prices. Im hoping someone here has had the system installed for feed back
Ok so using the stats that have to you it makes sense. BUT take today for instance. Sky full of clouds and not much solar gain to be had. What's the heat it should contribute to you today? In my opinion the system will work excellent when you don't want it to work I.e when's its sunny out. Also how does the system be controlled. Or does it just send heat to the rads all the time? Lots of questions to be asked if it was me thinking of spending that sort of money. You would install a new boiler. Full heating controls. Full insulation in walls and attic and with the enprova and seai grants it would would cost only 30% of what they would charge you and IMO far better value for your hard earned cash.

Also the system they install is basically just an over sized solar system with a heat dump and some sort of claim that they have a newly designed cylinder to make this happen and they are the only ones who have the rights to the cylinder. Madness.
24-01-2014, 10:03   #11
ccsolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by splanagan22 View Post
Ok so using the stats that have to you it makes sense. BUT take today for instance. Sky full of clouds and not much solar gain to be had. What's the heat it should contribute to you today? In my opinion the system will work excellent when you don't want it to work I.e when's its sunny out. Also how does the system be controlled. Or does it just send heat to the rads all the time? Lots of questions to be asked if it was me thinking of spending that sort of money. You would install a new boiler. Full heating controls. Full insulation in walls and attic and with the enprova and seai grants it would would cost only 30% of what they would charge you and IMO far better value for your hard earned cash.

Also the system they install is basically just an over sized solar system with a heat dump and some sort of claim that they have a newly designed cylinder to make this happen and they are the only ones who have the rights to the cylinder. Madness.
I don't think I could have said it better my self.
24-01-2014, 10:07   #12
ccsolar

Quote:
Hi Philip
What are you heating that uses 4000 litres per year
You can install the best heating system in the world but if the property isn't insulated properly your wasting your money
Can you give us more info inorder to best advise you
Cc
24-01-2014, 10:11   #13
splanagan22

I'm all for the whole solar idea and all that and I used to install a god bit if it. But what gets me is the way homeowner and the likes still falling for this "marketing ploy" that is still a massive business in Ireland these days.

Talk to people in the locality that have systems installed. Get an informed decision and then seek reputable local installers that will still be there when all these grants and the likes are gone. Because I can assure you that when they go these big companies will not be viable and will be unable to stay open.
24-01-2014, 10:14   #14
PhilipJ

It sends heat to the rads all the time, but its valid points you make and what i want to get to the bottom of
24-01-2014, 10:18   #15
PhilipJ

a 3000sq foot house. to many rads and windows....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion