Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Run Ireland 2014

• 19-12-2013 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Registration opened yesterday. http://electricrun.ie/dublin/ All very vague on the details so far. I like the idea of it but very pricey at 32.50 for a 5k.

Anyone here signing up for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like a bit of a stoner/raver run. The expense I would guess is to pay for all the lighting and hype.

I love how there's a course map, but no details of where it is. Every question on their facebook age is asking where it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'd actually rather drink a cup of Digger's underwear "drippings". The website is hilarious though- it shows the course (w/all the cheesy lit up bouncy castles etc) but fails to say exactly where it is wtf? These nighttime runs do seem like a way to literally print money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What do you mean? It's right here:

dublin.jpg

At that price, they'd better be handing out free yokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

It's also a "non-timed event" - team prizes will be awarded for "the most creative team costumes", so it's not really a race at all. Seems a lot of money to pay for the privilege of running around with a glow stick (maybe there's room for a Saturday night Parkrun version - 100s of people running around parks at night with glow sticks?). Also, not sure why Elverys are involved with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Registration opened yesterday. http://electricrun.ie/dublin/ All very vague on the details so far. I like the idea of it but very pricey at 32.50 for a 5k.

Anyone here signing up for it?

32.50 is the early bird price; it rises up to €45 :eek:

They really must be taking the pi**; there is a perfectly good 5k in the city centre (MSB 5k); just the weekend before. perfectly organised,flat and fast suits all levels and about half the price (also a big feed in the mansion house afterwards). http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/index.php/events/event/st._patricks_5km_festival_road_race

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

menoscemo wrote: »
    32.50 is the early bird price; it rises up to €45 :eek:

They really must be taking the pi**; there is a perfectly good 5k in the city centre (MSB 5k); just the weekend before. perfectly organised,flat and fast suits all levels and about half the price (also a big feed in the mansion house afterwards). http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/index.php/events/event/st._patricks_5km_festival_road_race

I don't think most of the people who'll end up doing the Electric Run would have any interest in a standard 5k. They're even telling anyone who questions the price on Facebook that it's a '2 hour light and sound show that stretches over a 5K route.'

My idea of hell, personally, but I can see how it would appeal to people cooler than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

vitani wrote: »
    I don't think most of the people who'll end up doing the Electric Run would have any interest in a standard 5k. They're even telling anyone who questions the price on Facebook that it's a '2 hour light and sound show that stretches over a 5K route.'

My idea of hell, personally, but I can see how it would appeal to people cooler than me.

Agree totally with this.
    I have a mate involved in events management and they do a few adventure type race events. Rather than cater exclusively for the type of runners who visit this forum there is actually a market of non runners out there who just want an 'event' experience and are willing to pay the money if it is sold/marketed to them the right way.

Don't reckon there'll be many from these parts turning up for this one though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

"belcarra wrote: »

Don't reckon there'll be many from these parts turning up for this one though!
    Has to be at least one pot hunter here...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Has to be at least one pot hunter here...

No mention of prize money...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ouch thats expensive.....yeah I don't think this is aimed at people that do more then one half marathon or marathon,
    Can't believe thats the early bird price :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

Jeez 45 quid and not timed. .ok this is totally not what I thought it was. Definitely not going myself now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

45 quid...they can f*** right off. I'm sick of paying extortionate amounts of money for events like this...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its especially crazy when you consider 45e will get your a 50km race in Portumna thats really well organized, has parking next to the finish line, medal, shirt and lots of stuff to drink etc :)
    Or do the marathon for 40e

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its especially crazy when you consider 45e will get your a 50km race in Portumna thats really well organized, has parking next to the finish line, medal, shirt and lots of stuff to drink etc :)
    Or do the marathon for 40e

You can do a Marathon pretty much every weekend (EOI, WOI) for €20.
    Park Runs are free and they are timed and realy well organised...

menoscemo wrote: »
    You can do a Marathon pretty much every weekend (EOI, WOI) for €20.
    Park Runs are free and they are timed and realy well organised...

All of which proves just really how over priced the electric run is in comparison to all the other types of runs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ur off the xmas list cabaal....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Map on their website looks like it goes round some sort of race track...

Looks crap anyway.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Ur off the xmas list cabaal....

aww, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I thought I had seen it all,seems like a Dan Hill who is associated more with Corporate Events
    Gala Balls and Awards Ceremonies
    Launches and Exhibitions
    Company Celebrations
    Staff and Family Fun Days
    Summer BBQ’s
    Christmas Parties
    Large Productions in Music, Arts and Theatre

It's a disgrace these companies are charging these amounts for a 5k.
    I hope they get poor numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I get the feeling everyones going to take the piss out of this run until they offer money for marshalling etc and people jump on board , bit like the rock and roll thread earlier this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Oops69 wrote: »
    I get the feeling everyones going to take the piss out of this run until they offer money for marshalling etc and people jump on board , bit like the rock and roll thread earlier this year

I'd marshal for it, if it meant that the club got a donation. Doesn't make the event any less ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Enter the 'race' - you pay them
    Marshall the race - they pay you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Ok , fell free to continue with the piss take until the money comes through then, hopefully a certain dr. has asked for his luminous hula hoop in his Santa letter so he can practice in time .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

My God this llooks like pure crap and ridiculously expensive at that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

What do you mean? It's right here:

dublin.jpg

At that price, they'd better be handing out free yokes!

Actually burst out laughing at that post!

Both parts!

Be quick folks; only 10 days left to register for the special bargain price of €38, after that it goes up to €43 (then €48).

Still no course map but apparently it's being held in the RDS. I wonder will it be officially measured to AAI standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Are there official pacers!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Are there official pacers!?

Yes, but it's an additional €8 if you want to run with them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Christ.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yes, but it's an additional €8 if you want to run with them! ;)

its incremental pricing,
    If you go with the faster pacers the price goes up

Advertisement