Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Gear Thread.

Options
  • 13-12-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

As christmas is coming soon, may not be a bad idea to post some gear ideas for the aspiring camper.

Two from me;

The Alpkit Hunka; a great bivvy bag and for less than 50 quid delivered, you can't go wrong at this price. Used it a lot during the summer. Fairly breathable and packs small.

Click on the pic for the link

hunka_main_chi_456_456auto.jpg

The Trangia. Any of them are good. They pack small. Complete set; pots and pans included. Practically indestructible and totally reliable. Can't say that about your Whisperlight. I've mine 5 years and it's took lots of abuse over the years. I'd go with the standard, it's more tolerant of abuse than the non-stick coating.

Trangia_25-1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

The Hunka has no way to keep out midge. In wicklow and many other places in Ireland, this is bad! I'd rather get one with a little mesh across the opening gap, much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

non stick coating always comes off eventually,no matter what its on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

WAPAIC wrote: »
    The Hunka has no way to keep out midge. In wicklow and many other places in Ireland, this is bad! I'd rather get one with a little mesh across the opening gap, much better.

I must have got lucky to be honest; camping out near the coast with a bit of a breeze.
    mr lee wrote: »
    non stick coating always comes off eventually,no matter what its on

Which is why I wouldn't be bothered with it to be honest. Plus you can clean the pots with a bit of gravel/sand with the plan aluminium ones, where you would wreck the pots doing that with a teflon like coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

It's a good bit of kit other than that.

I see they do stoves now, worth a look
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraku

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mycroft H wrote: »
    The Trangia. Any of them are good. They pack small. Complete set; pots and pans included. Practically indestructible and totally reliable. Can't say that about your Whisperlight. I've mine 5 years and it's took lots of abuse over the years. I'd go with the standard, it's more tolerant of abuse than the non-stick coating.

I'd also agree the above; excellent piece of kit. It's worth pointing out to those who may be trying to decide on a stove, that although fuel is a concern with any stove, these use methylated spirit, which is easily available. Meths can be got from pretty much any hardware store or pharmacy. Contrast that with the availability of gas.

A further option when it comes to Trangias is the hard-anodised aluminium set. I have this one myself. I'm not certain if it's as durable as the standard trangia, but it's supposedly more easy to clean and it's more durable than the one with the non-stick surface.

160258%281%29.jpg

Cheaper versions would be the old Swedish Army Trangias. They really are going for a song, and I suppose that you'd get a little piece of history there as well, whether or not they are as good as the standard versions. Also available on ebay, of course.

To be fair, you could have a whole thread on camping stoves alone.
    WAPAIC wrote: »

On that issue, this Highlander Hawk bivvy bag is on my list of things to get in future. It doesn't have a brand to compare with Alpkit, but it is described as having a Hydrostatic Head of 4,000mm so it should be waterproof enough. Also, it has a mesh insect screen. I have high hopes for this one.

41zUfNAaauL._SX385_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you can get one, the dutch surplus hooped bivi bag is the dogs...

http://www.gisurplus.co.uk/shop/product.php/789/dutch-camo-goretex-hooped-bivi-bag-pole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

If you're not a fan of multifuel stoves, don't like to carry meths, or just prefer the use of gas canisters I'd recommend either the Kovea Spider or if you like to shop local and don't mind paying for a name the MSR Windpro II. Both are remote canister stoves that will operate in inverted canister mode meaning they work in all temperatures you're bound to face in Ireland. Another benefit of a remote canister stove is that you can completely enclose the stove in a windshield with no fear or overheating the canister and causing an explosion!

I've found the MSR in 53 Degrees north if you'd like to buy Irish. It's about 100 quid
    msr-windpro-II-stove.jpg

The Kovea can be bought on eBay or Amazon for about $50, eBay has free shipping from China.
    2065.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If you're not a fan of multifuel stoves, don't like to carry meths, or just prefer the use of gas canisters I'd recommend either the Kovea Spider ..........

looks good, I am always worried about the gas stove toppling over and losing dinner, it looks like that system is more stable as it would sit lower on the ground. I just might treat myself to that

As far as I know I am getting a top of the range Marino Base Layers from "santa", looking forward to trying them out in Jan

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

what is the difference between the anodised trangia and the standard one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

mr lee wrote: »
    what is the difference between the anodised trangia and the standard one?

They are non-stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

silverharp wrote: »
    looks good, I am always worried about the gas stove toppling over and losing dinner, it looks like that system is more stable as it would sit lower on the ground. I just might treat myself to that

As far as I know I am getting a top of the range Marino Base Layers from "santa", looking forward to trying them out in Jan

I have a similar remote canister stove without the inverted mode function and it's brilliant. It can leave a scorch mark on the ground though so you may want to keep it off the grass if you're concerned about leaving no trace.
    They are non-stick.

Just bear in mind with non-stick anything you should be sure to use stiff rubber/plastic utensils and a soft sponge/cloth when cleaning. Non-stick coatings come off so easily. :o

Advertisement