UK ISPs told to block 21 pirate sites. Do you download illegally? - Page 13 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you download media illegally?
Yes I download music illegally 30 5.91%
Yes I download TV torrents 42 8.27%
Yes I download movie torrents 26 5.12%
Yes I download all of the above illegally 322 63.39%
No I dont download torrents, I pay for all my Music, TV and Movies 56 11.02%
Other (please specify) 32 6.30%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

16-01-2014, 19:52   #181
McLoughlin

Kickass is blocked but there is kickmirror and proxykat exact same site just different name.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2014, 19:54   #182
UCDVet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
This is awful advice.
Citation Needed....

TOR is really easy to use and it does a great job of getting around filters. It's not unique by any stretch, but it's popular and free.

The truth is the nature of the internet is that it is massively distributed. It doesn't matter if my ISP will let me go to SITE A - I just need to connect to ANYONE ELSE who can connect to SITE A, and then I can connect to it.

And, so long as nobody 'solves math' encryption will continue to be an option. That means, even if my ISP is going to look at every single byte of data I send, I can encrypt it right in front of them and communicate securely with someone else I've never previously communicated with. So they can't filter out HTML pages that contain a keyword, for example.

The *only* way they could even start to lock things down would be to revert back to old school bulletin boards where an ISP hosted all of the content that you are allowed to access and direct communication between peers on the network are routed through the server and only whitelisted traffic is allowed (IE - if anything isn't plain text or images the server drops connection). But nobody wants that.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic but yeah - Tor is easy enough and works great from what I've seen from it.
Thanks from:
19-01-2014, 21:44   #183
hatrickpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
This is awful advice.
Care to say why? Is your issue with Tor related to speed, usability, or security/anonymity?
19-01-2014, 21:47   #184
srsly78

Brutally slow is why.
(2) thanks from:
19-01-2014, 23:54   #185
Patty O Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvaBigWun View Post
I see that, as of today, Eircom have blocked Kick Ass Torrents.

More incentive then ever to change broadband provider.
Is that the 2nd site that eircom has blocked now?

Is it unlimited with eircom, as i could never login to eircom to find out,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeson View Post
What's the point in blocking these sites? Sure aren't there proxies! The third search result for KAT's is a proxy website to unblock it. Sure it was the same with pirate bay. All it does is give it more publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoughlin View Post
Kickass is blocked but there is kickmirror and proxykat exact same site just different name.

Was never on TPB, was on isohunt, that closed down, now KickAss? but will look out for them tips now.

Didnt TPB come out with their own proxybrowser add-on?

To be honest, i try before you buy, as i dont live near a cinema, so will try to watch them anywhere, like Silver Linings Playbook & Hunger Games etc, you could say i fought the law, the J-Law

Also RSS Feeds made it easier for me, when IH went away & found this tip, handy as i dont have to go looking
Advertisement
20-01-2014, 01:40   #186
Duck Soup

With the advent of the mirror sites for Kick Ass Torrents and The Pirate Bay, blocking becomes pointless. They've blocked the originals, but so fuggin' what? A quick search with the sites' names, plus "mirrors", brings up dozens of live copies of the complete sites.

You don't even need to hide your IP, work through a proxy or change your settings. Every and all torrent sites are available with just the site name and "mirror" in your search criteria.
(2) thanks from:
20-01-2014, 01:43   #187
J_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDVet View Post
Citation Needed....

TOR is really easy to use and it does a great job of getting around filters. It's not unique by any stretch, but it's popular and free.
You have to be careful though and do not under any circumstances allow scripts to run; the US Government and the like have installed covert javascript exploits on some pages that can easily grab info from your computer and remove itself without you even knowing. As long as you have scripts off, it's relatively okay to use. I wouldn't count on it being safe forever though.
20-01-2014, 12:37   #188
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Soup View Post
With the advent of the mirror sites for Kick Ass Torrents and The Pirate Bay, blocking becomes pointless. They've blocked the originals, but so fuggin' what? A quick search with the sites' names, plus "mirrors", brings up dozens of live copies of the complete sites.

You don't even need to hide your IP, work through a proxy or change your settings. Every and all torrent sites are available with just the site name and "mirror" in your search criteria.
Everyone who's anyone knows that circumventing the block is trivially, laughably easy. Some people still disagree with the block in principle, though, believing that an ISP has no business in even attempting to censor what it's users can look at. And that's the niggle, not any inconvenience created by the block.

If the Pirate Bay's peer to peer hosting system works when it's implemented, it'll essentially be game over for these kinds of blocks because there'll be no central IP to target anymore. Pretty much any site that is targeted for censorship will rapidly follow and that'll be that.
(2) thanks from:
20-01-2014, 17:23   #189
hatrickpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cydoniac View Post
You have to be careful though and do not under any circumstances allow scripts to run; the US Government and the like have installed covert javascript exploits on some pages that can easily grab info from your computer and remove itself without you even knowing. As long as you have scripts off, it's relatively okay to use. I wouldn't count on it being safe forever though.
It depends on your goal though. If you merely want to get past a block or filter, you might not necessarily care about being identified by an intelligence agency subsequently, in which case running scripts doesn't really matter.
Advertisement
21-01-2014, 10:14   #190
Duck Soup

Woke up this morning to find that - for the first time - UPC has now blocked my access to Kick Ass Torrents. No problem, no technical stuff at all. Go to a single web page with 14 links to KAT mirror sites and about 30 Pirate Bay mirror sites.

10 seconds after I found that I'd been blocked, I was on a mirror site with every single torrent and all the data from the original.

This. Is. Fúcking. Stupid.
21-01-2014, 12:42   #191
zerks

If they block my favourite torrent site,I'll be very annoyed for the 30 seconds it takes me to find a way around it.
21-01-2014, 12:53   #192
Caliden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Soup View Post
Woke up this morning to find that - for the first time - UPC has now blocked my access to Kick Ass Torrents. No problem, no technical stuff at all. Go to a single web page with 14 links to KAT mirror sites and about 30 Pirate Bay mirror sites.

10 seconds after I found that I'd been blocked, I was on a mirror site with every single torrent and all the data from the original.

This. Is. Fúcking. Stupid.
UPC were one of the few ISP's to contest the ruling saying that it should not be their responsibility what people look at on the internet.
It's like asking Woodies/B&Q to ban the sale of UV bulbs just because someone uses them to grow weed.

Also, you don't even need to use the proxy for the torrents to work. When will the old guys in record companies kick the bucket?
Thanks from:
29-01-2014, 12:47   #193
Courtesy Flush

Rewind 20 years and a cd cost £30, it cost 2p to make the rest was profit, oh how the worm has turned, I dont feel the slightest bit sorry for some overpaid exec down to his/her last porsche not the slightest.Times have moved on pity you didnt
Thanks from:
29-01-2014, 12:55   #194
JimsAlterEgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerks View Post
If they block my favourite torrent site,I'll be very annoyed for the 30 seconds it takes me to find a way around it.
I wont, it gives me something constructive to do :-)
29-01-2014, 13:16   #195
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
Rewind 20 years and a cd cost £30, it cost 2p to make the rest was profit, oh how the worm has turned, I dont feel the slightest bit sorry for some overpaid exec down to his/her last porsche not the slightest.Times have moved on pity you didnt
I get what you're saying but I wouldn't say the margin was quite as extravagant as that. There's still costs of distribution and advertising etc. Was it still exorbitant? Probably, but it's still necessary to keep things in perspective.

Times do change and in the digital realm music is freely accessible. That's where we stand right now and it's a bit insulting to the intelligence when someone in the music industry states that current technological trends are messing with the natural order by interfering with profits of the music industry. They should realise themselves that recorded music was a technological innovation that was capitalised upon by businessmen and which, in turn, put a lot of print music publishers out of business. I'm sure the record men said to the print men, 'Tough sh*t. Things change' just as we now say to the record men, 'Tough sh*t. Things change.'
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion