I passed my driving test a month ago - can I drive on the motorway? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-11-2013, 19:56   #1
kapisko1PL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
I passed my driving test a month ago - can I drive on the motorway?

Hello,

I have passed my driving test about 4/5 weeks ago and still didn't get my licence. We, as a group of friends are planning to go to an open day in one of the colleges and the easiest and fastest route is via the motorway. My question is: Can I use it?

Thanks,
Kacper.
kapisko1PL is offline  
Advertisement
14-11-2013, 19:57   #2
mackerski
Registered User
 
mackerski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapisko1PL View Post
Hello,

I have passed my driving test about 4/5 weeks ago and still didn't get my licence. We, as a group of friends are planning to go to an open day in one of the colleges and the easiest and fastest route is via the motorway. My question is: Can I use it?

Thanks,
Kacper.
Yes
mackerski is offline  
14-11-2013, 20:47   #3
Morf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Carlow
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerski View Post
Yes
Provided he/she carries the piece of paper indicating they have passed I'd imagine, yes?
Morf is offline  
14-11-2013, 20:51   #4
yer man!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,022
Open to correction here but aren't you only a fully licensed driver when you actually have your licence? you only have a cert to say you're competent, not fully licensed
yer man! is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-11-2013, 20:54   #5
The_Pretender
Registered User
 
The_Pretender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Once you have the reciept that you were given then you'll have no problems.
The_Pretender is offline  
Advertisement
14-11-2013, 20:56   #6
MYOB
Registered User
 
MYOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maynooth
Posts: 22,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by yer man! View Post
Open to correction here but aren't you only a fully licensed driver when you actually have your licence? you only have a cert to say you're competent, not fully licensed
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pretender View Post
Once you have the reciept that you were given then you'll have no problems.

No (albeit you will probably get away with it)

You have to have your physical pink licence to be allowed drive on a motorway, or unaccompanied, etc. The Certificate of Competency is definitely not valid and it is entirely at a Garda's own discretion as to whether to accept a licence payment receipt and a promise to present.
MYOB is offline  
Thanks from:
14-11-2013, 21:03   #7
The_Pretender
Registered User
 
The_Pretender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB View Post
Yes.




No (albeit you will probably get away with it)

You have to have your physical pink licence to be allowed drive on a motorway, or unaccompanied, etc. The Certificate of Competency is definitely not valid and it is entirely at a Garda's own discretion as to whether to accept a licence payment receipt and a promise to present.
Open to correction on this, but isn't the Certificate of Competency the thing you get when you pass your test? I'm talking about the reciept you get in the tax office. When I got my learner permit I was told in the tax office that I was able to drive and just to bring the reciept with me. Could be wrong though, that's just what I thought.

EDIT: Don't know what the story is if the forms were posted in though?
The_Pretender is offline  
14-11-2013, 21:10   #8
MYOB
Registered User
 
MYOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maynooth
Posts: 22,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pretender View Post
Open to correction on this, but isn't the Certificate of Competency the thing you get when you pass your test? I'm talking about the reciept you get in the tax office. When I got my learner permit I was told in the tax office that I was able to drive and just to bring the reciept with me. Could be wrong though, that's just what I thought.

EDIT: Don't know what the story is if the forms were posted in though?
It is, but neither it nor the payment receipt are actually a driving licence. You're entirely relying on a Garda being in a good mood.
MYOB is offline  
Thanks from:
14-11-2013, 21:16   #9
flyingsnail
Registered User
 
flyingsnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Limerick
Posts: 1,501
http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Dri...ermit-Holders/

Quote:
Motorways:

No driving on motorways even if you possess a certificate of competence.
flyingsnail is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-11-2013, 21:16   #10
SimonLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 313
You're fine to drive I reckon, personally I'd take an experienced driver with me first time to advise on merging, lane discipline and so on, after that it's welcome to the jungle here.
SimonLynch is offline  
14-11-2013, 22:14   #11
kapisko1PL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
Thanks for the great response lads.
kapisko1PL is offline  
14-11-2013, 23:38   #12
Victor
Moderator
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dublin
Posts: 64,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapisko1PL View Post
I have passed my driving test about 4/5 weeks ago and still didn't get my licence.
Aren't you meant to exchange them within a month or something?
Victor is offline  
15-11-2013, 01:19   #13
Morf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Carlow
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsnail View Post
I imagine that is to "encourage" people to get their fully accredited license ASAP rather than a point of safety/ability.
Morf is offline  
15-11-2013, 08:11   #14
Days 298
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Aren't you meant to exchange them within a month or something?
IIRC the cert is valid for 2 years after which you have to retake the test.

I think the OP has applied its just the processing times are ridiculous in some places.
Days 298 is offline  
Thanks from:
15-11-2013, 08:49   #15
mackerski
Registered User
 
mackerski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsnail View Post
That's completely mad, and is not at all how things were when I passed (years ago). So what act changed in the meantime?
mackerski is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet