Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best hurls out there at the moment?

• 11-11-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Whats everyone's opinion on the above? Looking to buy a new one for the winter and want to know whats out there, usually use o'connors myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I like Fordes but they can be very hit and miss,Torpey hurleys are probably the worst crap going.Recently started using a cul tec hurley its grand but every so often you have to rough up the bas to get any kind of grip on the sliothar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

dpofloinn wrote: »
    I like Fordes but they can be very hit and miss,Torpey hurleys are probably the worst crap going.Recently started using a cul tec hurley its grand but every so often you have to rough up the bas to get any kind of grip on the sliothar

Cul tec is a no no for me neway.. Heard from a few people torpey are rubbish alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KE_LN90

Cant ever see myself using a Cul tec, i'm a traditionalist timber man :D Currently using Larkin's of Galway, happy enough with them so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

http://www.handcrafthurleys.com/

You'll find them all there. I've a hurl from Daly's in Limerick, who isn't on that site. Fairly pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Cannings in Co. galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

KE_LN90 wrote: »
    Cant ever see myself using a Cul tec, i'm a traditionalist timber man :D Currently using Larkin's of Galway, happy enough with them so far.

I got one of those nearly two years back, was a nice hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

131spanner wrote: »
    http://www.handcrafthurleys.com/

You'll find them all there. I've a hurl from Daly's in Limerick, who isn't on that site. Fairly pleased with it.
    It's funny, our club back home used to source Daly's hurleys and nobody liked them. Unless they have improved in recent years.

I find O'Connors hurleys from Newtownshandrum are hard to beat. Big bas on them, I used to get a bigger distance out of my clearances, a lovely stick to hold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

grenache wrote: »
    It's funny, our club back home used to source Daly's hurleys and nobody liked them. Unless they have improved in recent years.

I find O'Connors hurleys from Newtownshandrum are hard to beat. Big bas on them, I used to get a bigger distance out of my clearances, a lovely stick to hold too.

I had some of them a few years back, the narrow shaft on them always felt like they'd break with any sort of contact so I got rid.

Would agree with the comment on Larkin's hurls - they'd be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Any idea of where I could get a damien fitzhenry hurley? Had one around 2 years ago and thought it was one of the best I have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Depends on where you are. Used get mine from a lad outside midleton not sure if I can post names but as plenty of ye have mentioned others I ll give him a plug. Liam Walsh he is in a place called Lisgoold it between midleton and fermoy. Like most lads that make them he can modify them to how you want them. He always had a good collection of Hurleys for the inter county lads so that tells you a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Had a few Liam Walsh before alright, a lovely stick. Decided to go for a shorter O'Connor this time, lovely stick big bas but a lot heavier then my last one!

Advertisement