Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

28-09-2013, 16:49   #1
who_ru

Money left in ATM machine

Hi.

Not sure where to put this thread.

left a sum of money in an atm machine by mistake, just happened and feel stupid.

after discovering my error i rang the petrol station where i took the money out.

They have it on CCTV.

After I walked away from the atm and left woman in the queue behind me went to use the atm. My cash can be seen in the tray on CCTV.

The woman cannot insert her card because my cash is still there. she sees the cash and takes it out, turns around to look for me outside, walks as far as the door, then turns around and uses the atm herself with her card.

She keeps my cash and leaves without handing in at the till. All of this is on CCTV.

The security guy at the petrol station says he can burn the footage onto a cd.

if i contact the bank operating the atm, explain what happened, time & date etc, footage from cctv, can anything be done about this?

they must know who the woman is since she entered her pin at the atm.

just wondering if i can get my cash back - probably not.
Advertisement
28-09-2013, 16:51   #2
michael999999

Nothing to do with the bank.

Contact the guards as she stole your money. Bring a copy of the security footage.
28-09-2013, 16:52   #3
MarkR

They won't be able to give you her details, but I would report it to your local garda station as theft (which it is) and to both your bank, and the bank operating the ATM. If she hadn't taken it, I think most (all?) machines swallow the money back. The over balance would be noted, and you'd probably get a letter back eventually. I got one after 8 years!
(4) thanks from:
28-09-2013, 17:06   #4
who_ru

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael999999 View Post
Nothing to do with the bank.

Contact the guards as she stole your money. Bring a copy of the security footage.
i know it has nothing to do with the bank as it was my own mistake.

i'm wondering if it is possible for the me to establish this woman's identity if i contact the bank that operates the atm or should i go to the guards with the footage. It' a 3 figure sum and wouldn't mind getting it back.

it was a bad mistake on my part.
28-09-2013, 17:12   #5
dudara
Category Moderator

The bank can't share that woman's identity with you. You will need to go to the Gardaí and seek their advice.

To be honest, I don't know if she "stole" your money, but a Garda can offer an opinion on that.
Advertisement
28-09-2013, 17:15   #6
furiousox

Was she in a car?
If you can get her car reg from the cctv, the guards will locate her easily.
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2013, 17:18   #7
hfallada

ATMs are programmed to shallow money that isnt taken. I would report the women. If I found money in an ATM, I would take it. But I would tell the petrol station workers I found money and the owner can call me. I wouldnt trust the workers in the petrol station.
28-09-2013, 17:19   #8
slimjimmc

Has no one considered the possibility that the woman has already handed the money into a Garda station in the hope that the rightful owner would come to retrieve it there?
28-09-2013, 17:19   #9
who_ru

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousox View Post
Was she in a car?
If you can get her car reg from the cctv, the guards will locate her easily.
good point.
Advertisement
28-09-2013, 17:23   #10
Fred Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudara View Post
The bank can't share that woman's identity with you. You will need to go to the Gardaí and seek their advice.

To be honest, I don't know if she "stole" your money, but a Garda can offer an opinion on that.
It is called theft by finding, a criminal offence.
28-09-2013, 18:24   #11
who_ru

update.

went to the local garda station to ask if a sum of money had been handed in today. Nothing handed in.

Told them the details, said cctv had captured everything in colour, crystal clear, and that petrol station security is willing to burn footage onto cd. I must ask if the woman was driving and if so did they capture a reg plate.

Guard basically said nothing they could do. Couldn't believe his response, seemed to suggest **** happens. yeah i know that, but you are the police and this is your job. i'm going to get the cd burned and go back to the guards again.

can't let this go now, the sum isn't relevant but the guards response is and the woman's actions are too. Ultimately she has money in her possession that isn't hers, knew it wasn't hers when she took it from the atm, didn't hand it in, didn't leave contact details at the petrol station and left with it.

she didn't find money on the street, she took it from an atm machine, knowing it wasn't hers, then didn't hand it in at local garda station. i also asked at a shop and off license next door if money had been handed in. nope.

or am i to ring every garda station in the country and ask if a middle aged woman fitting the description from the cctv hand in a sum of money per chance?
28-09-2013, 18:30   #12
Fred Swanson

Simple solution here is to go to the Garda inspector, failing that the Garda Ombudsman.
28-09-2013, 19:23   #13
McLoughlin

Its not theft you left your money there by mistake same if you had left a wallet full of cash on a table its not theft its finders keepers.
28-09-2013, 19:29   #14
Guy:Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Swanson View Post
It is called theft by finding, a criminal offence.
What does this cover? finding money on the street?
Thanks from:
28-09-2013, 19:30   #15
michael999999

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoughlin View Post
Its not theft you left your money there by mistake same if you had left a wallet full of cash on a table its not theft its finders keepers.
No, no its not!
Thread Closed