Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-09-2013, 14:18   #1
Vegeta

Deer Seizure

Hey folks,

Anyone see anything like this before, deer below is alive

As you can see the deer is in great condition but looked to be suffering some kind of seizure. My brother came across it this morning and tried to help her up, for which he got a good kicking. Deer stood up ran off 20 or so paces and then fell over again.

He left her alone because he was afraid of any poaching accusations and obviously she is eating well/ in good condition.

Anyone else see the likes of this before?
Advertisement
03-09-2013, 15:35   #2
landyman

I wonder did she get a neck shot from a poacher was there any blood?
03-09-2013, 15:42   #3
Vegeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyman View Post
Wasn't there myself but the brother looked her over pretty well and said she'd got a tiny cut on her chin but that was it. His first though was wounded from being shot but ruled it out quickly.

He thought seizure or bad fall/collision.
03-09-2013, 15:49   #4
natdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyman View Post
I don't think its only poachers that take neck shots more likely that it got a bang of a car.
(3) thanks from:
03-09-2013, 16:34   #5
FlushBang2013

Electric shock of a fence maybe?
Advertisement
03-09-2013, 16:40   #6
223vmax

I came across one like that in the road once. It got up went 20yds then fell down again - completely disorientated. I observed it for about 20 mins and kept doing the same thing. Had a graze on its head which I assumed got from a slap off a car.
03-09-2013, 20:12   #7
One shot on kill

Did he say how she was moving when she got up.

Would you get in trouble if you put her Down.
03-09-2013, 20:47   #8
dodderangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by One shot on kill View Post
Did he say how she was moving when she got up.

Would you get in trouble if you put her Down.
Often wondered this myself. But then again any gobsh1te could use that as an excuse
03-09-2013, 20:51   #9
One shot on kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodderangler View Post
Often wondered this myself. But then again any gobsh1te could use that as an excuse

Ye but chances are any gob ****e won't do it for the right reasons.

If it were me I'd prob put her down and contact the npws/department of agriculture or some one to see if here were anymore or if they wanted to tests on her.

I think I would but wasn't in the situation. I don't think I'd let her run off and suffer.
Advertisement
03-09-2013, 20:55   #10
dodderangler

The thing is though mate even though your intentions were right and didn't want the animal to suffer you'd still probably get in sh1t for it.
03-09-2013, 20:55   #11
The Aussie

I've seen dogs have a seizure before and get up as if not to much had happened, never heard about in Deer, would be interesting to see if any Deer Farmers had witnessed this before.
(2) thanks from:
03-09-2013, 21:11   #12
Birdnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by One shot on kill View Post
Ye but chances are any gob ****e won't do it for the right reasons.

If it were me I'd prob put her down and contact the npws/department of agriculture or some one to see if here were anymore or if they wanted to tests on her.

I think I would but wasn't in the situation. I don't think I'd let her run off and suffer.
The NPWS do indeed carry out PM's in these cases and AFAIK they also require the person concerned to contact them before the animal is put down. At least thats what I had to do with a badly injured Dolphin that washed up on the shore at the bottom of my place in North Mayo several years ago.
03-09-2013, 21:28   #13
garv123

100% legal to humanely dispatch any wounded/injured animal by any humane means possible weather it is protected or not or in/out of season.

Did it with a doe before wrapped around a sheep fence with a broken hind leg. There was no hope of getting the leg out it and you couldn't walk away and leave it, infection was already set in and there was a lot of blood lost. The leg had to be cut from the fence in the end.
Took pics before hand as proof and I knew the below bit existed before doing so.

(7) Notwithstanding subsection (5) of this section, it shall not be an offence for a person—

(a) while engaged in agriculture, fishing or forestry, or in zoology or in any other scientific pursuit, unintentionally to injure or kill a protected wild animal, or

(b) while so engaged to interfere with or destroy the breeding place of such an animal, or

(c) while constructing a road or while carrying on any archaeological operation, building operation or work of engineering construction, or while constructing or carrying on such other operation or work as may be prescribed, to kill or injure such an animal or to destroy or injure the breeding place of such an animal, or

(d) to capture an injured or disabled protected wild animal for the purpose of killing it humanely or with the intention of tending it and of later releasing it, or

(e) to kill humanely a protected wild animal which is either injured in the manner described in paragraph (a) of this subsection or captured in the manner described in paragraph (d) of this subsection, or so to kill a protected wild animal injured in the circumstances described in paragraph (c) of this subsection,
(3) thanks from:
03-09-2013, 22:17   #14
Vegeta

The problem was garv that visually the animal was perfect bar the tiny nick on her chin. This early in the season you'd be ****ting it about what people might say if you returned home with a healthy looking hind/doe saying that she was injured/disabled.*

As The Aussie said above, I've also seen dogs have the odd seizure and be generally in great health. Have never heard about or seen it in deer though.

He's going to look for her again in the morning to see if she's recovered/moved on.

*Did put down a blind doe who had badly cut herself on fencing or barbed wire during the year. Infested with ticks and was grossly under weight. Should get pictures of that too for this thread.
03-09-2013, 22:41   #15
PL05

garv123 is correct, any person can put an injured deer out of its misery and i dont think anyone has to be informed ie. npws, gardia etc. however there might be issues with discharging a firearm in a public place. anyway getting back to this deer, its possible that this deer was shot with a small calibre rifle ie .22 which might explain the injury under it jaw and bullet could be logged in its head, not impossible.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion