Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

27-08-2013, 21:11   #1
Paddyfield

Galway United FC for 2014?

I'm surprised there had been no discussion here regarding Galway United's future

There was a public meeting on Monday about this? I am away at the moment and am interested to hear what happened. My understanding is a 'new' club will emerge next year which will have an input from Salthill Devon and Mervue United.
I miss my Friday evenings in Terryland and Galway deserves to be represented in the League.

Wil we have Galway United FC or Galway Divided FC?

Any more info?
Advertisement
27-08-2013, 21:27   #2
gordongekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
I'm surprised there had been no discussion here regarding Galway United's future

There was a public meeting on Monday about this? I am away at the moment and am interested to hear what happened. My understanding is a 'new' club will emerge next year which will have an input from Salthill Devon and Mervue United.
I miss my Friday evenings in Terryland and Galway deserves to be represented in the League.

Wil we have Galway United FC or Galway Divided FC?

Any more info?
ya it used to be good craic alright. Fair play to the gust people for their tireless efforts in trying to keep the show alive.
27-08-2013, 23:13   #3
stampydmonkey

Fact...had many an enjoyable/frustrating evening up in Terryland...nothing better than to have a few pints in town after a cold Friday evening in a nearly empty stadium. Miss it bigtime actually now that you mention it
(2) thanks from:
02-09-2013, 10:56   #4
DRakE

Quote:
Didn't Salthill play in Terryland on Fridays this year?
02-09-2013, 11:08   #5
gordongekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRakE View Post
Didn't Salthill play in Terryland on Fridays this year?
nope. They play in drom.
Advertisement
02-09-2013, 13:55   #6
wonder88

I miss going to Terryland as well and hope that the GUST guys are given a chance to achieve their aims. I sometimes go to a few LOI matches still, in Dublin mostly when I get a chance; was up at the Pats/Bohs game last friday for example.
02-09-2013, 15:22   #7
Mars Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
I miss going to Terryland as well and hope that the GUST guys are given a chance to achieve their aims. I sometimes go to a few LOI matches still, in Dublin mostly when I get a chance; was up at the Pats/Bohs game last friday for example.
Galway WFC is playing there if ya wanna look at the best under utilised playing surface in Ireland.
03-09-2013, 12:13   #8
Antifa161
Banned

I'd happily get involved if it got up and running, especially if there was a half decent ultras scene.

Crying shame such a fine, and relatively big city does not have a proper soccer team.
(2) thanks from:
03-09-2013, 15:24   #9
wonder88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Bar View Post
Galway WFC is playing there if ya wanna look at the best under utilised playing surface in Ireland.
I might go sometime to watch the ladies play, but really I would prefer to have top-level LoI soccer available in Galway so that I could watch that. I was also a fan of Galway Utd for many years and while some my not understand it, it is not easy to switch from supporting one team/club to another. That is the reason that "franchise clubs" do not usually work. I have gone to both Mervue and Salthill games, but it is just not the same; I can never really be a supporter of these clubs. Also the standard is not great and there is never any atmosphere as these clubs have no supporters/fans.
Wishing the Galway womens team all the best, but to have a look at a good playing surface is not something that would drag me back to Terryland.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-09-2013, 23:19   #10
Tugboats

They'll probably get the Anglo boys to run it
11-09-2013, 18:45   #11
_Puma_

According to Galway Advertiser

"Galway FC to be officially launched in next few weeks. Cooperative-type ownership model to be explored with a vote on this after first season."

"The Directors of Galway FC include Tom Lally and John Flannery ( epresenting GUST), Joe Keating and Declan Mooney (Galway FA), Donnie Farragher and Declan McDonnell (Mervue United), and Jim McSpadden and Ollie Daniels (Salthill Devon) with Bernie O'Connell acting as the independent Chairperson. John Flannery will serve as Secretary, while Declan McDonnell, a former Mayor of Galway, will be the Treasurer."

Anyone have more info on this, seems a bit out of the blue?
11-09-2013, 19:01   #12
gordongekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Puma_ View Post
According to Galway Advertiser

"Galway FC to be officially launched in next few weeks. Cooperative-type ownership model to be explored with a vote on this after first season."

"The Directors of Galway FC include Tom Lally and John Flannery ( epresenting GUST), Joe Keating and Declan Mooney (Galway FA), Donnie Farragher and Declan McDonnell (Mervue United), and Jim McSpadden and Ollie Daniels (Salthill Devon) with Bernie O'Connell acting as the independent Chairperson. John Flannery will serve as Secretary, while Declan McDonnell, a former Mayor of Galway, will be the Treasurer."

not going to happen in that form anyways
(2) thanks from:
12-09-2013, 11:18   #13
antoobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Puma_ View Post
Not only is it not "out of the blue" (it was in the sentinel 2/3 weeks ago that Salthill & Mervue were being told to get together), but it's been well known around town for months that there were discussions around this. The only thing "new" is the fact that the name is going to be Galway FC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
not going to happen in that form anyways
http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/arti...lies-to-league

Quote:
Galway FC should be ready for Eamonn Deacy Park action in 2014 as the newly formed club will make a licence application to play in the Airtricity League next season.

Compromise has been reached with all the stakeholders in the west as Galway United Supporters Trust, Mervue United, Galway FA, and Salthill Devon are all represented on the Board of Directors of Galway FC.

Following several months of meetings and debate Galway FC has been established with a statement released last night confirming the news. “The dream of one city, one county, and one club is set to be realised with the coming together of a Galway football partnership representative of all local soccer interests.”

The Directors of Galway FC include Tom Lally and John Flannery ( representing GUST), Joe Keating and Declan Mooney (Galway FA), Donnie Farragher and Declan McDonnell (Mervue United), and Jim McSpadden and Ollie Daniels (Salthill Devon) with Bernie O'Connell acting as the independent Chairperson. John Flannery will serve as Secretary, while Declan McDonnell, a former Mayor of Galway, will be the Treasurer.

A launch of Galway FC is expected to take place in the coming weeks, while several sub committees will be formed by those interested. “The new club has emanated from the Ned O' Connor Report 2012 and all of the stakeholders in the Galway game take two seats on the new Board which also includes an independent chairperson,” the statement continued.
12-09-2013, 12:12   #14
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Probably because no one except you and the editor of the Galway Advertiser give a rat's a*** about the topic!

If I was an advertiser I'd be threatning to pull my spend if the Advertiser didn't give the soccer stuff a rest.
Thanks from:
12-09-2013, 12:27   #15
gordongekko

The board of gust were given a mandate to require that the club be a co-op and the preferred name be Galway united. Neither of these issues have been addressed and it will require a further meeting by gust to approve the new offer.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed