Strange smell coming from fuse box - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-08-2013, 23:12   #1
whirlpool
Closed Account

Strange smell coming from fuse box

There's a strange dull, smokey odour coming in waves, every couple of minutes, from the fuse box in the house. It's situated in the living room next to the sofa, so when sitting next to it I get the smell every couple of minutes. It's not very strong but it is noticeable, and began a couple of weeks ago.

It was only today that I really tried to find out where the smell is coming from, and I realised that it's coming from the fuse box. I figure the best thing to do is get an electrician to take a look at it a.s.a.p.

Any ideas what this could be? Should I get an electrician to look at it right now, as in pay for a 24-hour electrician to come out? Also, what do electricians charge these days for call-outs?

Thanks.
Advertisement
08-08-2013, 07:18   #2
meercat

Most likely a loose connection alright. Get a registered contractor out to look at it today. He should quote you a price before he calls.
08-08-2013, 07:31   #3
MrMac84

Bottom left hand side of the boards should be a trip marked "main switch" or "switched fuse" turn that off and contact a RECI sparks. They'll quote on the phone the call but alot wave the call out charge once your willing too do the works needed straight away and not roll out some line like "oh ill think about it and get back too ya"

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion