Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2013, 12:39   #1
Alpha Dog 1

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Confirmed this morning on sky sports that Froch will defend his titles against Groves who is the mandatory challenger.

Should make for another exciting domestic fight. Realistically cannot see any way that Groves wins this fight but it would be interested to see approach he will take to the fight.

Froch unanimous win on points for me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 13:07   #2
el flaco

I imagine Groves will take an evasive approach as he did against Degale. Assuming Froch can pin him down I can see Groves getting KO'd.
23-07-2013, 13:22   #3
Frankie Lee

Should be a good fight, surely they won't make it PPV though. Froch is due a bad performance at his age.
23-07-2013, 14:36   #4
Dick phelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Lee View Post
Should be a good fight, surely they won't make it PPV though. Froch is due a bad performance at his age.
Oh i have no doubt Hearn will put this on PPV, all that bs about Froch vs Kessler a one off that was just a line to get people back used to PPV, no way i would buy this Groves has done nothing to warrent being in a ppv fight, and is unproven, i rate Groves and hope he wins as i think Froch has gotten far to big for his boots he needs to be reminded how outclassed he was Vs Ward
23-07-2013, 20:01   #5
Gorman700

I really like Groves, also a huge Froch fan. Once Carl pins George down, he will get KO'd or stopped. If Kenny Anderson dropped him and Paul Smith was able to wobble him then Froch will take his head off!
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 20:28   #6
Johner

Don't like Froch at all, thinks hes a lot better than he actually is. Hope Groves win but fight might be coming a bit soon in his career.
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2013, 21:40   #7
Paul Guevara

Surely Froch walks right through Groves. It's a big step up for Groves based on what I've seen of him.
23-07-2013, 21:43   #8
walshb

Unless Carl regresses badly and Groves improves greatly I can't see this lasting all that long. Groves has no real SMW strength.
Thanks from:
23-07-2013, 21:52   #9
Gorman700

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshb View Post
Unless Carl regresses badly and Groves improves greatly I can't see this lasting all that long. Groves has no real SMW strength.
I think he has decent strength, it's his chin I worry about!
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 21:57   #10
Maravilla33

Agree with the consensus here and think Froch will stop Groves. This fight will come a bit too soon for him but its a bit of a no lose situation provided he doesn't take a severe beating. If he wins hes a world champ and if he loses hes still young and can rebuild especially if he puts on a decent show. It sounds obvious but all comes down to whether he can take Froch's punches. If he can he actually has the skill set to out box and frustrate Froch. His defence seems a bit better and he doesnt seem to get wobbled as easily so who knows. I just think Froch will be too strong. Hope not as would love Groves to win.
23-07-2013, 22:42   #11
HigginsJ

Feel Groves is being railroaded into this way too soon. He will be knocked out within 4.

He really should have had a better route planned out for him. Maybe Yusaf Mack or rematch with James De Gale followed by Lucian Bute & if Froch was still around at that point then fine.

I think he is afraid it's a now or never shot at Froch which is not a good position to be in for him
24-07-2013, 13:51   #12
Big Ears

Mod: Boxing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johner View Post
Don't like Froch at all, thinks hes a lot better than he actually is. Hope Groves win but fight might be coming a bit soon in his career.
In fairness if you had beaten Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Lucian Bute and Mikkel Kessler how good would you think you are ?

Personally I believe any fighter fighting at that sort of level with those sort of wins, regardless of their losses will believe that when they are at their best they will defeat anyone.
TBF his confidence and belief in himself are two of his very strong assets so without that he'd probably be a lesser fighter.
(2) thanks from:
24-07-2013, 14:05   #13
el flaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
In fairness if you had beaten Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Lucian Bute and Mikkel Kessler how good would you think you are ?

Personally I believe any fighter fighting at that sort of level with those sort of wins, regardless of their losses will believe that when they are at their best they will defeat anyone.
TBF his confidence and belief in himself are two of his very strong assets so without that he'd probably be a lesser fighter.
He seems to be getting a lot of stick for this of late, as though it's some new development in his character. He's pretty much had that attitude since the days he was calling out Calzaghe (and probably even before that). The only difference is he has a much bigger outlet with Sky Sports so people are only noticing it now.
As you rightly say, it's a strong asset and are a large part of who he is and the more victories he racks up the more grounds he has for his attitude.
24-07-2013, 15:01   #14
Johner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post

Well he was losing to Taylor before the KO, lost to Dirrell(my opinion), Glen Johnson is a strong journeyman beating him at this stage of his career is nothing to write home about. Abraham has been badly exposed fighting at a higher level. The Bute and Pascal wins were good wins, Bute will be exposed at a higher level like Abraham was but it was a good win for Froch. And he beat a past it Kessler. i just think Froch is very overrated. He is a good fighter though.
24-07-2013, 15:24   #15
Maravilla33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johner View Post
It doesn't help him that he has the personality of a plank and very little charisma so doesn't really pull off the whole 'I'm the greatest' routine.

Agree with the others that he deserves to be fairly cocky but just doesn't pull it off very well.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion