Phone Cable Pipe Blocked - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 12:00   #1
kevgavs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Phone Cable Pipe Blocked

I asked Eircom to install a phone line in my house but the Eircom technician says that the pipe from the junction box to my house is blocked 2 foot in from the junction box in the street. The blue rope for pulling the cable through is still in the pipe but there is no budging it. The technician said to get onto my builder but he is long gone.

Can anyone help in suggesting a way to fix this problem without having to dig up the pavement? My budget is very limited.
kevgavs is offline  
Advertisement
02-07-2013, 10:13   #2
tred
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgavs View Post
I asked Eircom to install a phone line in my house but the Eircom technician says that the pipe from the junction box to my house is blocked 2 foot in from the junction box in the street. The blue rope for pulling the cable through is still in the pipe but there is no budging it. The technician said to get onto my builder but he is long gone.

Can anyone help in suggesting a way to fix this problem without having to dig up the pavement? My budget is very limited.
Is it a thick rope???, what u could do , is try putting some building line ( thinner) one side, and hoover through, it might get in by blockage??.....usually the telecome pipe is heavy enough gauge so its hard to break and block it, would it be a knot or some crap causing it to be stuck?
tred is offline  
02-07-2013, 10:37   #3
Gulliver
Registered User
 
Gulliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leitrimistan
Posts: 743
Hoover through?? I like it.
Gulliver is offline  
02-07-2013, 10:41   #4
listermint
Registered User
 
listermint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,692
Maybe the technician has no arms, have you tried pulling it yourself or looking at the issue yourself ?
listermint is offline  
02-07-2013, 14:55   #5
kevgavs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
I'll give the MacGyver (Tred) solution a shot.

It is a 20mm rope that stretches from the junction box in the street a good 25 meters to the box at my house going under concrete paving and bricked driveway. Yeah, have tried pulling it through myself along with others with no success from both ends.

I've been told to pass a cable reel from both ends to make sure the blockage is where the technician said it was. After that I'd have no option but to get someone to dig it up and fix it for me.

Does anyone know of any other solutions incase the building line doesn't work for me?
kevgavs is offline  
Advertisement
02-07-2013, 15:05   #6
sinnerboy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,287
If you not used to physical work do some light jogging or other exercise to warm up first to avoid pulling a muscle.
sinnerboy is offline  
02-07-2013, 17:46   #7
JOSHUA07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kildare
Posts: 10
You could ring the likes of Boyne Waste or a company local to you with a small Jet Vac truck. They would have a half inch jetting tool that would clear it easily.
JOSHUA07 is offline  
02-07-2013, 19:56   #8
Gulliver
Registered User
 
Gulliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leitrimistan
Posts: 743
This might sound crazy, but bear with me here - you could try pouring water into the pipe at the house end and see if it comes through at the road end. If it doesn't, then either the blockage is solid or the pipe has been crushed/shattered.

FaiIing that, is there enough clearance to get a sewer rod into the pipe from the road end?
Gulliver is offline  
03-07-2013, 12:36   #9
tred
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgavs View Post
I'll give the MacGyver (Tred) solution a shot.

It is a 20mm rope that stretches from the junction box in the street a good 25 meters to the box at my house going under concrete paving and bricked driveway. Yeah, have tried pulling it through myself along with others with no success from both ends.

I've been told to pass a cable reel from both ends to make sure the blockage is where the technician said it was. After that I'd have no option but to get someone to dig it up and fix it for me.

Does anyone know of any other solutions incase the building line doesn't work for me?
if u dont feel any suction one end of the pipe, then u know its totally blocked..or crushed.....
tred is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2013, 14:24   #10
tred
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgavs View Post
I'll give the MacGyver (Tred) solution a shot.

It is a 20mm rope that stretches from the junction box in the street a good 25 meters to the box at my house going under concrete paving and bricked driveway. Yeah, have tried pulling it through myself along with others with no success from both ends.

I've been told to pass a cable reel from both ends to make sure the blockage is where the technician said it was. After that I'd have no option but to get someone to dig it up and fix it for me.

Does anyone know of any other solutions incase the building line doesn't work for me?

how did u get on with it.
tred is offline  
25-08-2013, 01:25   #11
kevgavs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Turns out the pipe from the house wasn't attached very well to the pipe from the street as they look to have come apart when the trench was backfilled. The rope passing through the pipe was sitting under the weight of the backfill hence the trouble I had. Had to dig up the drive to get to the problem and now have to bridge the gap between the pipes. Won't be using a decorators filler tube like the builders used!! Anyone any suggestions on how to best do this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130824_144135-1.jpg (1.96 MB, 90 views)
kevgavs is offline  
25-08-2013, 08:18   #12
One shot on kill
Registered User
 
One shot on kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare
Posts: 2,003
If you get a bit of Waveney waste pipe
Cut it down the lenght of what your using.
Then stretch it over the two pipes and tape it up good and tight
Might be some snagging when pulling the cable but at least there will be an opening for it. Just make sure the wife is tight on the pipe your covering.

Or else cut a foot out of the pipe an get to straight joiners and replace it.
One shot on kill is offline  
25-08-2013, 09:19   #13
fclauson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,373
go to your builder merchant - there are standard joiners for this type of pipe

as you just need 2ft - then perhaps call in on any local building site to see if you can get and off cut

EDIT : and how the heck will building control or any other certifier ever find this sort of CxxP workmanship !!!!
fclauson is offline  
25-08-2013, 09:29   #14
One shot on kill
Registered User
 
One shot on kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by fclauson View Post
go to your builder merchant - there are standard joiners for this type of pipe

as you just need 2ft - then perhaps call in on any local building site to see if you can get and off cut

EDIT : and how the heck will building control or any other certifier ever find this sort of CxxP workmanship !!!!
Because it should be inspected before its covered up.
One shot on kill is offline  
Thanks from:
25-08-2013, 11:22   #15
boarsboard
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 66
<SNIP>

Mod edit: Warning given

Last edited by muffler; 25-08-2013 at 16:28.
boarsboard is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet