Unemployment rates among counsellors/psychologists - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2013, 20:00   #1
kitkat.3b4t

Unemployment rates among counsellors/psychologists

Hi folks

I wonder if anyone has information on the unemployment rates among counsellors /psychologists/psychotherapists. I expect clinical psychologists experience full employment, but I wonder what the statistics are for others in the ‘counselling profession’.

I imagine that it must be sole destroying for those who have studied for 7-8 years and spent thousands, to find that after all the hard work and sacrifices that there is no career for them and the few jobs that are available have so many applicants that all they end up with is a rejection letter.

I don’t mean to be negative but there may be lots of people out there in the counselling professions suffering the ill effects of the economic climate and I would be interested to hear what other people think.

Last edited by kitkat.3b4t; 24-06-2013 at 21:55.
Advertisement
25-06-2013, 11:03   #2
dar100

Send a message via AIM to dar100
It is true that there is a limited amount of jobs, but I know many people who end up in roles similar to counselling; Keyworker, project worker etc. Others go into teaching and supervision. Many people have a limited number of clients and use the above jobs as their main income.
04-07-2013, 23:38   #3
SONIC2008

Yeah I have completed my masters in counselling and psychotherapy and unfortunately I can't see any job prospects in the current economic climate. It's also that catch 22, they won't take me on until I have experience but how do I get it unless someone gives me a chance!
24-10-2013, 10:34   #4
jamsie2001

I would also be interested in feedback on this question.
24-10-2013, 11:08   #5
JuliusCaesar

Do the colleges do any follow-up of their graduates?

Is anyone doing this as a Masters thesis?

Is anyone doing research on this?

Has anyone seen any journal articles about this?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion