Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VDSL Stats - Whats yours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

fat-tony wrote: »
    I see you're trying everything on your new toy :)

As previous poster said, you would be better to leave your modem connected, powered up and not reboot it for a number of days so that the network management software doesn't think your line is having stability issues. I see you're already trying to push your speeds over the 100Mb/s :D . Stop it! Be happy!

As regards DLNA etc. my view would be to leave the modem to do its basic tasks of demodulating the VDSL signal and handling the routing tasks and providing wi-fi coverage. I found the previous Vodfone Huawei ADSL modem to be completely crap at everything (including being a modem :rolleyes:) so I binned it. I am actually surprised at how stable the VDSL model has been, though, although it struggles at times with wi-fi speeds when pushed.

The box is built down to a price point and it's unlikely to function well as a print server/media server etc.

All the features should work very well on the hg658c - if there are ones not working, you should let the folks know over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

I really push it on both wifi and LAN all the time and it's fine - my client card is 802.11n dual channel - the only issue I ever get is standard wifi congestion (as so many wifi devices around where I live) so I tend to try to stick to non overlapping channels....but so do others :)

There is a big (massive) difference between the HG556 and the HG658C by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

crawler wrote: »
    ... There is a big (massive) difference between the HG556 and the HG658C by the way.
    Agreed - the 556 was utter crap. Mine was, anyway. The 658C is light years ahead in terms of stability and wifi range. It's just that it struggles sometimes when there are three laptops all vying for bandwidth and one of them is still on wireless G.
    I have enough other boxes in the house that I don't need the DLNA or other server features so I'll leave it to its primary task for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AmilcarAlho

Still having issues, KN tech could not find any issues with my line, mentioned something that port might need to be changed, but can end up in worse speeds.

Stats:
    ============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 0 hour: 2 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     20.477 Mbps       81.917 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     20.478 Mbps       81.918 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       12.2 dB           14.0 dB
                Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
              Transmit Power:      - 1.7 dBm          13.7 dBm
               Receive Power:      -19.9 dBm           0.3 dBm
                  Actual INP:       29.0 symbols      29.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       18.2 dB           13.4 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     26.664 Mbps       99.528 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  4.6    24.2    35.5     N/A    13.0    30.9    47.1   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  4.6    23.6    34.5     N/A    10.7    30.7    47.0   
            SNR Margin(dB): 12.7    12.4    12.1     N/A    13.9    14.0    14.0   
       Transmit Power(dBm):-15.9   - 6.1   - 3.9     N/A    11.0     8.0     6.8   

Speedtest:

3428248996.png

In case it helps other users, the issue with my business connection was down to billing profile. I'm now in top business package and speeds went up to this ( on a 80/20 profile):

3471684627.png

Much happier, now time to sort out that new firewall and make everyone's facebook "faster"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

an update on my previous post... according to modem, i'm now on an 80/20 profile... however, i'm consistently getting ~50mb according to speedtest (using ethernet plugged in to modem)...

NFJXpdh.jpg

3471950034.png

as you can see, attainable rate is over 100mb... should i ask vodafone to move me to a rate adaptive profile?

smemon wrote: »
    an update on my previous post... according to modem, i'm now on an 80/20 profile... however, i'm consistently getting ~50mb according to speedtest (using ethernet plugged in to modem)...

NFJXpdh.jpg

3471950034.png

as you can see, attainable rate is over 100mb... should i ask vodafone to move me to a rate adaptive profile?

Did you actually turn off wifi when you did the test? Otherwise you still may be connecting via wifi even though the Ethernet cable is plugged in.....just a thought - 50Mbps approx sounds very like wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

crawler wrote: »
    Did you actually turn off wifi when you did the test? Otherwise you still may be connecting via wifi even though the Ethernet cable is plugged in.....just a thought - 50Mbps approx sounds very like wifi

yep, definitely wasn't connected via wifi... tried it again there now and still hovering around the 50mb mark... to me it sounds like vodafone still have me on a 50mb profile yet the router is saying i'm syncing at 80mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭peking97

Just had VF Fibre installed this morning and these are my stats.
    Any of you knowledgeable folks in here know from the stats if my line could support a faster connection? (..not that I'm complaining after having only 3-4 Mbps with Sky!)
    Incidentally, I notice I'm not seeing a maximum attainable connect speed, is that something to do with my login although I was logged-in as Admin when I took the screen capture?

Your attenuation is quite high at 17dB so you must be a good distance from the cabinet. At 9dB your SNR is no great shakes either, which means there is not much room for bumping up your speed until vectoring is turned on.

If you use a browser like Firefox you can right click and select "Inspect Element" on the settings page. On the displayed html data you can select and delete those style settings "display:none" and the hidden fields will then display. There are screen captures in the "Bridging the vodafone router" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭duckman!!

Router Statistics

Broadband Link........Downstream............Upstream
    Connection Speed......2720 kbps.............384 kbps
    Line Attenuation..........60.5 dB...............31.5 dB
    Noise Margin................8.6 dB................12.12 dB

3476912670.png

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

duckman!! wrote: »
    Router Statistics

Thats ADSL? Not What this thread is about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What would be the ideal attenuation for 100/20?

Attenuation is a function of distance (and frequency). The shorter the distance, the lower the attenuation and the higher the speed potential. So to answer your question - round about your attenuation (or less).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The ideal attenuation is as low as possible, in real life that is being right next to a cabinet with a clean line. You are syncing at a stable 100Mbit with no issues. You're line is as good as you need for the products that are available at the moment. You won't be seeing over 100Mbit for years I'd imagine.

Attenuation is a function of distance (and frequency). The shorter the distance, the lower the attenuation and the higher the speed potential. So to answer your question - round about your attenuation (or less).

Can't multi quote as I'm on mobile but thanks to the both of ye for that.

When I had Vodafone before I had an attenuation of 20.1 then when I got Sky it jumped to 35 and now it's 13.7 I think.

Suppose I was just wondering :P

The ideal attenuation is as low as possible, in real life that is being right next to a cabinet with a clean line. You are syncing at a stable 100Mbit with no issues. You're line is as good as you need for the products that are available at the moment. You won't be seeing over 100Mbit for years I'd imagine.

Yeah I'd imagine Eircom will milk their VDSL for a good few years to come!

Although the ESB Fibre rollout might make them hurry up with an FTTH rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Just a question.

Can Eircom limit the speed of what their competitors sell ?

airuser wrote: »
    Just a question.

I think technically speaking they probably can with QoS or limiting their profile or whatever but obviously they can't and would get into serious trouble with ComReg if they done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Just wondering. Thanks.

In 2 weeks time getting a SamKnows box. I'm getting nerdy before I may which ISP

airuser wrote: »
    Just a question.

Technically anything is possible - but they don't. They have an obligation of non discrimiation anyway.

When I had Vodafone before I had an attenuation of 20.1 then when I got Sky it jumped to 35 and now it's 13.7 I think.

Suppose I was just wondering :P
    With ADSL (VF, SKY) the attenuation measurement would have been based on the loop length from your house to the exchange. Not sure why it would have jumped unless you moved from ADSL (under 8Mb/s) to ADSL2+ (up to 24Mb/s) which would involve an increase in frequency (and thus attenuation, but not a 15dB rise!).

On VDSL the loop length is just from the cabinet to your house, so it is much shorter and the attenuation is less even though the frequency has risen. Make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭peking97

Your attenuation is quite high at 17dB so you must be a good distance from the cabinet. At 9dB your SNR is no great shakes either, which means there is not much room for bumping up your speed until vectoring is turned on.
    Thanks for the info. Is there any easy way to know if and when vectoring is enabled, from the stats page for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

peking97 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Is there any easy way to know if and when vectoring is enabled, from the stats page for example?

You'll see your SNR jump up a chunk all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

peking97 wrote: »

Curiosity getting the better of me I checked the F1000 webpage via both IE and Firefox. Sure enough in IE on the "Network Setting" > "Broadband" > "Advanced" page the only xDLS settings ticked are "ADSL over PTM" which is marked as Disabled.
    Checking the same page using Firefox I see that "ADSL over PTM" remains Disabled but "Annex M" is enabled as are "PhyR DS," and "SRA." PhyR US" is marked disabled. If, as I suspect, G.inp and SRA are features required to enable vectoring would it suggest that the indicators above show the implementation of vectoring or at least that the features to enable vectoring are present?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

G.INP and SRA are separate to vectoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Not sure what is going on with this connection today......

It was stuck on the 25/7 profile because of a billing name problem (apparently Eircom couldnt change the profile because the company name had a "&" in the name)

I log on this morning and see that the speed had been upped to 30/10......

I do a speed test and cant get above 22/4

So I restart and I get the below.....

Anyone have any idea?

I have had a hunch for a while that the line has a problem..... Its very stormy in that location today........
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 0 hour: 1 minute
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     11.229 Mbps       39.537 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     11.230 Mbps       39.538 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:        9.1 dB            8.9 dB
                Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
              Transmit Power:        7.6 dBm          11.7 dBm
               Receive Power:       -6.7 dBm         -17.7 dBm
                  Actual INP:       29.0 symbols      30.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       14.4 dB           29.4 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     11.510 Mbps       39.608 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  7.4    41.9    38.2     N/A    19.1    53.5    84.9   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  7.4    41.0    64.6     N/A    27.6    53.0     N/A   
            SNR Margin(dB):  9.2     9.1     8.9     N/A     8.8     8.8     N/A   
       Transmit Power(dBm):  0.6     6.1   - 2.4     N/A     9.8     7.2     N/A   

VDSL Counters

Downstream        Upstream
    Since Link time = 1 min 41 sec
    FEC:		0		4
    CRC:		0		0
    ES:		0		0
    SES:		0		0
    UAS:		0		0
    LOS:		0		0
    LOF:		0		0
    LOM:		0		0
    Latest 15 minutes time = 3 min 3 sec
    UAS:		81		81
    Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
    FEC:		0		0
    Latest 1 day time = 3 min 3 sec
    Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
    FEC:		0		0
    Total time = 3 min 3 sec

Just got this on the latest speed test

3481563669.png

Just out of curiosity is anyone else taking part in the SamKnows broadband measurement campaign?

I got my Whitebox today and it's a TP Link N600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just out of curiosity is anyone else taking part in the SamKnows broadband measurement campaign?

Never heard of it. Any links?

jca wrote: »
    Never heard of it. Any links?

Here ye go.
    http://www.samknows.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I just signed up. I'll let you know if I get a whitebox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Yeah, I am

Advertisement