Prime Time Special - Child Care in Ireland (No Downloads - Please Read Post #1) - Page 19 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-05-2013, 01:00   #271
womandriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
how is it different, it's already in the public view and recording isnt something reserved for the social elite anymore
Well the amount if people on here complaining that they missed it you'd wonder!

Somebody having it recorded at home is different to having it online unless you're going to invite the whole online population in to your home to view it when ever they feel like it. The parents have no doubt been through enough and their wishes should be respected. How you like footage of you child being abused like that online?
Advertisement
29-05-2013, 01:01   #272
Concerned123

Giraffe are quite clearly not focused on the little ones and their welfare - They employed unqualified inexperienced and immature children to look after our kids purely to minimize their costs and maximize profits.MY husband and I were under the impression that our child was being cared or by a senior qualified professional. To think that my child may have been subjected to that kind of behaviour and treatment and the possible repercussions from this is terrifying - it seemed that strapping an infant that is barely walking to a chair sees to be the norm in Giraffe amongst other things which in my opinion should never have happened and should be dealt with seriously....Giraffe at this point need to close their doors and retrain and focus on opening a creche that is purely interested in the children and not the cash cow that it currently is - would not do them any harm to dig deep into the 14million profit from last year and employe some qualified professionals to care for our kids
Thanks from:
29-05-2013, 01:01   #273
SuperInfinity
Banned

The children's faces were blurred anyway. The parents shouldn't have a choice in the matter, it's a matter of public concern.

In fact I would be worried about parents who are so worried about risking "unsavoury types" seeing their children that they don't want such an important documentary to be shown. Do they also not let them out in public...?
29-05-2013, 01:02   #274
Tom_Cruise
Closed Account

Lets hope this is added to Netflix in the next update.
29-05-2013, 01:03   #275
Neeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by womandriver View Post
Well the amount if people on here complaining that they missed it you'd wonder!

Somebody having it recorded at home is different to having it online unless you're going to invite the whole online population in to your home to view it when ever they feel like it. The parents have no doubt been through enough and their wishes should be respected. How you like footage of you child being abused like that online?

But they can't be identified and the parents don't need to keep looking at it if they don't want. As I said they're all just blurry lumps shuffling around the place, crying.

They're all the same. Only the parents would be able to pick out their own child among that crowd.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-05-2013, 01:04   #276
Ozzy

Appalled at some of the shameful behaviour shown. Absolutely abhorrent and ignorant treatment toward children. The actual conduct of the people supposed to be caring for the children was deplorable.

There were adults shown here who conducted themselves irresponsibly, selfishly, deceitfully, even cruelly in some instances, and should not be in supervision of children. Some of them seemed incapable of managing themselves emotionally. If a fully grown person cannot manage their own feelings, then how may they be responsible for those of a developing child?

A child should never be thrown around like an object, shouted at with anger, forced to be alone, or forcefully punished; essentially, shown aversion for simply being a child. The child has no capacity to regulate himself in these stages of early emotion - that is supposed to be the responsibility of the adult, to notice the child's states and skilfully help the child to develop.

Well done to the investigators and people behind the program for effectively showing people the reality, which includes how ineffective the HSE really is here.
Thanks from:
29-05-2013, 01:05   #277
SuperInfinity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeson View Post
But they can't be identified and the parents don't need to keep looking at it if they don't want. As I said they're all just blurry lumps shuffling around the place, crying.

They're all the same. Only the parents would be able to pick out their own child among that crowd.
It's amazing how some people's first instinct is always to hide everything away.
29-05-2013, 01:06   #278
KCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned123 View Post
Our little girl was in a Giraffe creche for a period of eight months until end of 2012. Several of the incidences shown on this program have confirmed our suspicions and many of the issues we raised with management in Giraffe.1. On numerous occasions upon collecting our child we found her strapped in a chair this is mostly when we arrived unexpectedly 2. We collected her at 11am one morning because she was unwell to find her diary complete up to 5pm stating what a wonderful day she had all her food etc 3. In her diary the carer paid reference to the fact that she loved clapping her hands to music...my daughter didn't start doing that for at least anrother 3 months...4. On a different occasion we arrived to find severe bruising on her face and a black eye which we were told was a direct result of her trying to get up from the chair too fast and slamming her face off the table - which was similar to footage on program tonight whereby infant was strapped to chair and hit their head off table. 5 on numerous occasions her nappy wasn't changed and it appeared to be like that for hours 6. There were various times when the number of carers were inadequate or number of children left in the room and all the infants seemed to be moved around from day to day to suit shortages of staff. It got to the point where we had to search for our daughter in the evening because we didn't know what room she would be in. 7. the last room our daughter was put in was an extremely unpleasant experience 1 carer in particular was extremely loud and the other seemed ill-equipped to deal with infants. It got to the point that my child would start crying in the car when we went down the slip road on exit 16 and when I brought her to this particular room she was absolutely inconsolable - this went on for a number of days and when I raised it with a carer for the last time I was more or less given a lecture on how hard it is to mind so many children - can't take the pressure and having problems at home - this carer's behaviour actually really concerned me so much so that I thought she may have done herself some harm - I raised my concerns with the manager of the creche and requested my child be moved immediately and to possible get some help for the carer or at least supervise her. The next day we were confronted by the other carer stating that under pressure etc and arguing that they were doing nothing wrong - Once my child was moved from that room she was less upset and it has since come to my attention that both carers are still together in the same room and their behaviour remains the same. We are completely devastated as parents having witnessed that footage tonight and it seems to me that Giraffes policy is to employ anyone off the street without doing the necessary checks to ensure their competency -Whats even more distressing is that Giraffe have only suspended the employee that was abusive to the infants in their footage- that says a hell of a lot about their policy and their priorities!! We were paying almost 1000 per month for our daughter to be nourished and cared for and I would hate to think of what pain my little one endured it really is preying heavily on my mind - only hope it hasn't caused too much long term damage. RTE should be given a medal for highlighting these abuses and hopefully this will force the government and HSE to ensure that all carers are properly vetted and educated to a high standard with no exceptions
Well done for being observant and for taking your child out of the place. What you noticed re: infrequent nappy changing is a real indicator of lack of care. I've heard so many similar stories. It might be time to start an online name and shame. If the HSE won't publish their inspection reports, a site should be set up where parents can post them. Parents with children in the facilities are entitled to request them from the provider and if they will not provide it, the parents can get them from the HSE.

Last edited by KCC; 29-05-2013 at 01:08.
29-05-2013, 01:07   #279
Old_-_School

I find it strange that in 2013 some people are still of the opinion that mothers shouldn't' work but instead stay at home minding the kids. Being at home isn't necessarily the best place - studies in the US, show that children that go to a quality childcare facility perform better academically, cognitively and socially than kids at home. Also, the rate of cot deaths and accidents that require hospital treatment are lower for kids in creches than in the home.
Advertisement
29-05-2013, 01:07   #280
womandriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeson View Post

Those "blurry lumps" are somebody's child.
29-05-2013, 01:10   #281
melekalikimaka

Quote:
No I don't . But I think it shouldn't. It's footage of children who can't protect themselves. I think it's indecent to upload such footage and that uploading images of children isn't acceptable, one's motives could be questioned.
oh sweet jesus, may I ask your age? Grow up not everyone is a child molester, some people want to view this as words dont seem to do it justice, perhaps a screen shot or two would add to the image. seriously, your attitude might be lapped up on joe duffy, but not really too popular on boards... imo of course
29-05-2013, 01:10   #282
womandriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperInfinity View Post
The children's faces were blurred anyway. The parents shouldn't have a choice in the matter, it's a matter of public concern.

In fact I would be worried about parents who are so worried about risking "unsavoury types" seeing their children that they don't want such an important documentary to be shown. Do they also not let them out in public...?
Unless I'm mistaken, it was shown. Parents shouldn't have a choice? Ah Jesus. Goodnight.
29-05-2013, 01:11   #283
Neeson

Quote:
Those "blurry lumps" are somebody's child.
Indeed. But to us.

The parents know them. Won't be too happy that they were battered around the place BUT we don't know them. We wouldn't pick that baby out who was flung around the place if he was walking down the street in a line of babies. BUT we don't like what happened to them either BUT they're just a few breathing humans to us.
29-05-2013, 01:11   #284
kearneybobs

Quote:
No I don't . But I think it shouldn't. It's footage of children who can't protect themselves. I think it's indecent to upload such footage and that uploading images of children isn't acceptable, one's motives could be questioned.
It's indecent to upload the footage online but not indecent to show it on national TV and broadcast it INTERNATIONALLY online live?? Clearly RTE's motives need to be questioned if they are going to be airing it over the internet.

I tuned into the tail end of the episode via the RTE player and saw the last 5 minutes of it and I'm living in the UK.
29-05-2013, 01:11   #285
marxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD007 View Post
I thought I'd stepped back into pre 1973 Ireland there for a second

Sounds like you'd be in favour of re-introducing the Marriage Ban
I'm actually a very liberal person. I'm also very career driven, but I don't see how taking a few years off work to raise your child should be viewed negatively, especially in their formative years when they are at their most vulnerable.

I wont have to worry about made up day reports, my toddler being strapped into a chair for 2 hours, being yelled at or items being viciously snapped out of his hands, isolated behind doors, the list from tonight's programme was endless. It was disgusting. Unfortunately you can never fully trust a stranger with your own child.

Like I said before, even if these horrific abuses weren't happening in certain crèches, tonight's programme just hit home to me this conveyer belt style of child care, that in itself I found sickening. Doesn't seem right.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion