Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2013, 23:20   #1
micky mouse

Cryptosporidium Scour

Lost a calf to this scour at the weekend,he was only two days old when he got it,so i suppose that didnt help.Vet gave him a drip and injections and i put him under the lamp and fed him the stomach tube,thought he would make it but didnt.Vet had told me its a bitch of a bug to get rid of once it gets into a shed.Calves that are out can even get it.Two other calves got it the next day but they were that little bit older and were able to fight it,just gave them halocur and that cured them.According to the vet there is no vaccination for this scour just gave halocur to them once they are dropped .Is this correct.And also is there any one disinfectent that ye find works better than others on killing this particular bug
Advertisement
15-05-2013, 23:27   #2
aidanki

lost 2 calves to it at the start of March, 2 more got it but the hair fell off them they got so sick

thus all calves born since start of MArch got 4-5cc of halocur for the first 4-5 days

anyway maybe it was the cold but once we began using the halocur havn't had a single case of scour or had the need to give one single lectate
15-05-2013, 23:31   #3
micky mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanki View Post
lost 2 calves to it at the start of March, 2 more got it but the hair fell off them they got so sick

thus all calves born since start of MArch got 4-5cc of halocur for the first 4-5 days

anyway maybe it was the cold but once we began using the halocur havn't had a single case of scour or had the need to give one single lectate
Do you gave them a shot of halocur as soon as they are calved,like what i was told to do
15-05-2013, 23:37   #4
delaval
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky mouse View Post
Do you gave them a shot of halocur as soon as they are calved,like what i was told to do
From birth but not on an empty stomach it puts them off grub if they have empty stomach. I forget dose rate. Pm Whelan1 for rate
15-05-2013, 23:43   #5
micky mouse

Thanks for the empty stomach tip.The young vet did not mention that,just said two pumps of the halocur
Advertisement
16-05-2013, 06:03   #6
whelan1
Closed Account

3x 4ml shots per day for 3 days .... so thats 12ml per day for 3 days. make sure all sheds are clean and disenfected or if possible have them calving outside, edited to say we give it as soon as they are born with out any ill effects
16-05-2013, 06:07   #7
whelan1
Closed Account

oocide used to be the disenfectant for this but is off the market we are using interkokask, and regular powerwashing and disenfecting.... do you vaccinate with rotavec corona?
16-05-2013, 11:49   #8
micky mouse

Thanks for the info whelan 1. Was told to give 2x4ml per day for 7 days and was told calves that are born outside can also pick up the bug,surely that cant be true. Dont vaccinate for rotovac corona . Does this prevent this scour.
16-05-2013, 13:15   #9
whelan1
Closed Account

find it very strange that a 2 day old had it.... i have given the 12ml/day for 3 days for the last 3 years with no ill effects.... obviously the bug is there, i wouldnt chance not doing the calves, as far as i know the halocur is a preventative not a treatment... will read the label

Last edited by whelan1; 16-05-2013 at 13:26.
Advertisement
16-05-2013, 13:31   #10
whelan1
Closed Account

just read leaflet, it is a preventative medicine not a treatment, says not to give to calves that have scour....
16-05-2013, 13:50   #11
jaymla627

Had a serious outbreak of it ourselves this year spread like wildfire with it affecting 20 out of 40 calves at the time had calves that didnt suck for 3 weeks with it got them going eventually, best way to treat it i found was life aids twice a day by stomach tube with milk as every second feed at all costs dont stomach tube a calf with cypto milk as you end up bloating the calf/acidfying its stomach, even half a litre squirted down a feed along with natural youghurt is better then tubing the calf with two litres of milk , lost 5 calves to it and only after i stopped tubing calves with milk did i get any response to treatment, another thing dont inject calves with crypto has no affect on the scour as crypto is a parasite all you end up doing is killing the good bacteria in the calfs stomach that will help it recover plus one on halocur once i started doing the new borns with it and the remaining calves not affected by it, had no case since touchwood.
16-05-2013, 14:32   #12
micky mouse

Had a serious outbreak of it ourselves this year spread like wildfire with it affecting 20 out of 40 calves at the time had calves that didnt suck for 3 weeks with it got them going eventually, best way to treat it i found was life aids twice a day by stomach tube with milk as every second feed at all costs dont stomach tube a calf with cypto milk as you end up bloating the calf/acidfying its stomach, even half a litre squirted down a feed along with natural youghurt is better then tubing the calf with two litres of milk , lost 5 calves to it and only after i stopped tubing calves with milk did i get any response to treatment, another thing dont inject calves with crypto has no affect on the scour as crypto is a parasite all you end up doing is killing the good bacteria in the calfs stomach that will help it recover plus one on halocur once i started doing the new borns with it and the remaining calves not affected by it, had no case since touchwood.[/QUOTE]
Dont tube a calf with crpto milk.:confused:Are you saying dont gave milk to a calf with crypto because if you are my vet is in BIG trouble with me
16-05-2013, 14:41   #13
whelan1
Closed Account

mmmmm calves need milk , also need energy... i would never take milk away from a sick calf, rather build it up with life aid or similar... my calves have to get the rotavec corona milk for at least the first week....goes to show how vets differ....
16-05-2013, 16:11   #14
jaymla627

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelan1 View Post
mmmmm calves need milk , also need energy... i would never take milk away from a sick calf, rather build it up with life aid or similar... my calves have to get the rotavec corona milk for at least the first week....goes to show how vets differ....
I'm not saying to take away milk, just not to tube calf with milk i know going for tube is the easy option as opposed to spending 10 mins squirting milk down a calf throat that dosen"t want it but all calves i tubed with milk up to two weeks in some cases never recovered and where eventually taken care of by the knacker with a gun, look up any articles regarding tubing calves with milk and 90% of the times vets agree doing it for more then 2-3 feeds is a bad idea and really upsets a calf's stomach.
16-05-2013, 16:28   #15
whelan1
Closed Account

http://farmersforum.ie/vetblog/?p=128
interesting reading

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size