Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club Week 18: Double Chocolate Cookies

• 11-05-2013 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone :) My recipe for this cooking club is double chocolate chip cookies. These aren't your everyday chocolate cookies- they use real melted chocolate and are a seriously decadent treat! This is my go to chocolate cookie recipe.

50g unsalted butter (or normal salted butter and omit the 1/2 tsp salt)
    225g dark chocolate, chopped or broken into squares
    Approx. 225g filling of choice (chocolate chips, nuts, buttons, fudge chunks or chopped chocolate- whatever you like)
    2 eggs
    170g soft brown sugar
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    85g plain flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder

This will get you about 12 lovely, dense, chewy cookies.

XpfybHP.jpg

Assemble your ingredients. I wanted white and milk chocolate chips but had to substitute buttons as there were no white chocolate chips in the supermarket.

AZhKTZQ.jpg

… they were an absolute joy to remove from the bags. If you can get your hands on peanut butter or butterscotch chips (make an American friend or pay a visit to Fallon & Byrne!) they go extremely well in this recipe.

Chocolate wise- dark is good. I usually go for a mix of about 46% and 70%.

Preheat your oven to 170/Gas mark 3.

Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together and set aside.

Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together with an electric mixer/whisk in a large bowl (you'll be adding the melted chocolate and flour, etc so make sure it's big enough).

Melt the chocolate and butter together- I like to use a bain marie for this. Set up a bowl above a saucepan of bubbling water but make sure there's no steam escaping- it will cause the melted chocolate to seize up and become unworkable. Alternatively you can use the microwave- zap it in 30 second bursts and be very careful not to let the mixture burn.

J7V7nhl.jpg

OOSCM50.jpg

When the chocolate and butter have fully melted and are nice and glossy, remove from the heat.

asueflH.jpg

Pour the chocolate/butter mixture into the egg/sugar/vanilla mixture and beat on a slow speed until fully mixed.

SMxGwfo.jpg

Add the flour/salt/baking powder in about 3 stages, stirring thoroughly.

RslFQXU.jpg

Finally, add your fillings- chocolate chips etc, whatever you like! - and stir thoroughly.

Line your baking trays and spoon your cookie dough onto the tray. This is more like a runny batter than a dough so be careful that the cookies don't run into each other. You should get about 12 cookies.

oacwlhL.jpg

Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cookies appear glossy and cracked. If you overbake them they will be hard and crispy- but that's not the end of the world, a quick zap in the microwave (15-20 seconds) will restore them to their chewy glory. I like them microwaved anyway! They go well when warmed with a scoop of ice cream.

tuwL7GU.jpg

Leave the cookies to cool on the tray before transferring to a wire rack (or directly to your mouth) to cool fully.

UAsmP0y.jpg

And enjoy!

i74rFgG.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They look fabulous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

68660d1294400054t-anyone-else-having-problem-phones-homer-drool-jpg

Must try these!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am making these at the moment but they do not look runny like yours??

any suggestions?

EDIT:

Mine looked like play do, so i rolled the mixture out and cut with a cake cutter.

they are absolutely gorgeous, i left them in the oven for 15 mins, the next time i will only leave it for 10 mins.

photo to follow

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

253575.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I made a mess of these. My scales broke so I ended up approximating the amount of sugar and flour. The 'dough' was much too runny and each cookie flowed into the rest so by the time they came out of the oven, I had three massive baking tray-shaped cookies that were wafer thin :pac:

They still taste amazing. Due to a serious amount of spoon licking and my inability to not eat chewy bits as I cut them into squares, my stomach is in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

so...much....win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

These were really good - although I think if I make them again I'll put in less "filler" stuff - it was like lots of bits bound together with cookie so maybe 100g-150g would have been enough for me. Still, seriously good cookies, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made these with the kids this morning. Added chocolate chunks and toasted hazelnuts. Ayayayayay I ate 2/3 of the batch. Poor kids wondering what happened to the rest of them.
    Thanks for the recipe OP

Advertisement