Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-05-2013, 20:44   #1
glicster

Fix for airy draw on kanger protank

hi guys,im new to vaping and from reading some threads here and youtube reviews the protank seemd to be what my first upgrade was to be.
i ordered one and a twist battery and they arrived Tuesday mornin.

the airy draw,lack of flavour and tinny taste burst my bubble straight away.so i looked around the web to see what others were doing to rectify this and nothing came up but blocking holes and rewicking.blocking holes i could do but rewicking,i havent got to that road just yet.

i spent the last two days overdosing on nic trying to sort it out but nothing i tryed worked.just tonight after reading somewhere i boiled it clean to try to get rid of the tinny taste but it didnt work. after cleaning and with no coil or bottom screwed on i sucked through the empty tank and got the tinny taste so i figured it was the steel tube inside the tank that was producing the taste i was getting,so i set to work...

i have some shrink tubeing i use for small electrical jobs and thought id try find some way to use this inside the steel tube to see what happened.

i cut a piece the same lenght of the tube and shrunk it onto the post over the coil and then shrunk the rest of it so it would fit up into the tube.
after doing this and putting the rig back into the protank there was no clearance for it to fit with the extra thickness of the shrink tubeing so i had to take it off,screw in the base/coil assembly and then insert the tube through the mouthpiece.

not one for blowing my own trumpet but the airy draw is now gone,the flood of flavour im getting is moreish and more so the tinny taste is gone.

hope yous followed that guys,heres some pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-05-02 19.20.14.jpg (1.12 MB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-02 19.21.02.jpg (1,019.2 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-02 19.21.43.jpg (1.02 MB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-02 19.22.34.jpg (1,022.2 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-02 19.22.09.jpg (980.2 KB, 634 views)
Advertisement
03-05-2013, 02:57   #2
Rattleshakes

Fair play glicster.Always nice to see some ingenuity.Let us know how its going after a couple of days.
Thanks from:
03-05-2013, 17:43   #3
heliguyheliguy

Last edited by heliguyheliguy; 03-05-2013 at 17:55.
Thanks from:
03-05-2013, 18:34   #4
StickyIcky

image resizer is your friend

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
(2) thanks from:
11-05-2013, 14:24   #5
glicster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattleshakes View Post
Fair play glicster.Always nice to see some ingenuity.Let us know how its going after a couple of days.
just a little update for ya...

alls going well with the modification.i have tryed a couple of times to vape without it installed and i just dont get the flavour or draw i do when i have the pipe in. so +1 for the pipe.
also when im filling up and i take it out there does be some juice up along the outside of the pipe,about half an inch sometimes a little more, but thus far it hasnt made it into my mouth.

so all in all i wont be useing the protank without my little pipe installed and im more than impressed with how its turned out.
thats not to say that other people would like the results so if someone who has a protank and would like to give it a second opinion fire me a pm with your address and ill stick one in the post and see what you think. have to say though,first person to pm will get it,i aint got a lot of shrink tubeing left
Advertisement
11-05-2013, 15:20   #6
StickyIcky

pm'd!
Thanks from:
11-05-2013, 16:28   #7
glicster

thats fine sticky ill post asap.hope it works for you as it did me.let us know what you think after a day or two
11-05-2013, 18:13   #8
StickyIcky

I sure will. I might get a second protank so I can compare them like for like and side by side
11-05-2013, 18:39   #9
damon5

Was too liking the protank because no leaking etc but that whistleing airy draw and lack of flavour was the pits,always thought the hole in the mouth piece was way too big and a major cause of the problem.Took the first thing to hand which was a condom off a boge and cut off the end,rolled it up and stuck it in the mouthpiece looking like a molotov cocktail and took a draw.BOOM even that was a vast improvement,no more sucking up on a whistling ice cube but now a warmer flavour and no more glarey stares from the OH when shes watching tv
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-05-2013, 18:57   #10
Green Hornet

Why do they design these things with such airy draws anyway? Everything else about it is pretty good for a clearo.......glasso.......pyrexo.......or whatever the heck it is but the draw is shocking.
11-05-2013, 19:36   #11
damon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Why do they design these things with such airy draws anyway? Everything else about it is pretty good for a clearo.......glasso.......pyrexo.......or whatever the heck it is but the draw is shocking.
To make money and keep us buying buying buying more products knowing that we will while were looking for the vaping holy grail
11-05-2013, 20:15   #12
Mr. Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon5 View Post
To make money and keep us buying buying buying more products knowing that we will while were looking for the vaping holy grail
And it seems to be working out pretty well for them, bastards :-)
11-05-2013, 20:15   #13
glicster

im only a beginner guys so all i had to compare it with was a ce4 plus starter kit which now i find i dont really enjoy after doing this protank fix. my journey into the world of vaping has just begun.
11-05-2013, 20:27   #14
Mr. Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by glicster View Post
im only a beginner guys so all i had to compare it with was a ce4 plus starter kit which now i find i dont really enjoy after doing this protank fix. my journey into the world of vaping has just begun.
What you did can be the difference between someone really getting into vaping and someone giving up on vaping cause they didnt take the time to fiddle around to improve their setup.
I did a similar thing with an a7oid and a cartomizer cover to stop it burning my lips. If I didnt do it I would have given up on the a7oid....now its what I use the most!
11-05-2013, 20:37   #15
glicster

you'd think with many many people talking about the airy draw that kanger would have come up with somethin by now to rectify this,maybe supply an extra add on or something with the kit for those who like a tighter draw than what the protank as it stands offers.

and yes its made me stick with it,for now anyways.suppose that'll be untill i have to take the next step on a long and tastefull road which is the discovery of vaping and eliquids:-)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion