Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quickest , Cheapest and Easiest way to get married in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

My long term partner and I want to tie the knot after being together for many years , but due to being let go from our work we are pretty broke.

What would the minimum legal requirements we need to meet to get married?

I presume we need a marriage license , but what would it cost , and out of curiosity if we were to get married in her home country(eastern europe) would it be recognised here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It costs €300 to legally marry here - civil ceremony in a registry office.
    You have to give 3 months notice of your intention, or get special permission from a judge to excuse the requirement for notice (at extra expense).

As long as you legally marry abroad, the marriage is recognised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Its actually 200 euro to marry. No extra cost if you marry in the official registry office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

lazygal wrote: »
    Its actually 200 euro to marry. No extra cost if you marry in the official registry office.

Do you not have to pay for the ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Thanks for replies , I thought it would be far more expensive than €200 , so that's good news. I presume we would need 2 witnesses and do I need to apply for a marriage license or do the registry office handle that when I book the ceremony?

I'll ring and tell her , I think after a 5 year engagement it's time to get serious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

don't ring!!! go romantic and do dinner etc and then give here a calandar with a date 3 months or so down the line marked "Whats that for?" she says "Our Wedding day" you say

Check that the date is available first !!!! in case she decides thats actually the day she wants!

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Do you not have to pay for the ceremony?

No, we married in a registry office in Dublin and there was no extra charge.

lazygal wrote: »
    No, we married in a registry office in Dublin and there was no extra charge.

Eta if you want an off site ceremony in a hotel or elsewhere there's an extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Give your 3 months notice.
    Pay up - I can't remember how much it was so it couldn't have been that bad.
    You don't even need to bring in your own witnesses. They can bring in two staff members. It's so fast and easy I don't know why everyone else doesn't do it. The HSE staff were telling me of couples who had been engaged for years, and just bit the bullet and popped in(well they had given their notice) and got hitched in 20mins. It sounded a lot more romantic than the usual big weddings.

Advertisement