Shoulder pain from sleeping on my side - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-04-2013, 12:23   #1
Ant11

Shoulder pain from sleeping on my side

Disclaimer: I am not looking for medical advise.

Was wondering does anybody else get this? Normally I sleep on my front but often I will wake up on my left side and my shoulder will be very sore. Normally when I get up, move around, stretch and it's fine and has never stopped me from training but the last week its got worse so I've had to give upper body training a rest.

So again I'm not looking for medical advise, if my shoulder pain continues I will go see a physio but for the moment I'll wait and see does the break from training help. I just want to know do others get something similar to this? if so what do you do? as I don't want it to affect my training.
Advertisement
16-04-2013, 19:28   #2
kevpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant11 View Post

Was wondering does anybody else get this? Normally I sleep on my front but often I will wake up on my left side and my shoulder will be very sore. Normally when I get up, move around, stretch and it's fine and has never stopped me from training but the last week its got worse so I've had to give upper body training a rest.

So again I'm not looking for medical advise, if my shoulder pain continues I will go see a physio but for the moment I'll wait and see does the break from training help. I just want to know do others get something similar to this? if so what do you do? as I don't want it to affect my training.
99% of my shoulder injuries have occured while I was unconscious. I've often woken up with a rotator cuff tear. In fact right now I have something going on with my shoulder/trap/neck area on the left that I'm pretty sure is related to my pregnant wife totally taking advantage of her condition and boxing me for "breathing on her" at night so I have to sleep on my left every night, all night.

So yeah it is probably sleep/pregnancy related. Congratulations by the way. Oh wait that's me. Whatever.
16-04-2013, 19:32   #3
COH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpants View Post
99% of my shoulder injuries have occured while I was unconscious. I've often woken up with a rotator cuff tear. In fact right now I have something going on with my shoulder/trap/neck area on the left that I'm pretty sure is related to my pregnant wife totally taking advantage of her condition and boxing me for "breathing on her" at night so I have to sleep on my left every night, all night.

So yeah it is probably sleep/pregnancy related. Congratulations by the way. Oh wait that's me. Whatever.
Bunk beds?

You'll have more space for activities....
(3) thanks from:
16-04-2013, 19:33   #4
Inspector Coptoor

I'd agree with Kev, although I've yet to experience the pregnant partner experience!

I'd say try to fall sleep flat on your back & see how much sleep you can get in that position.
16-04-2013, 19:42   #5
gymfreak

Quote:

Was literally only talking to someone about this the other day. I used to get A LOT of shoulder pain when I was younger from sleeping on my side/shoulder. I dont suffer from it as much anymore, but generally I'll wake up a couple of times a month with a horrible aches in my shoulders
Advertisement
16-04-2013, 20:42   #6
Ant11

Will try sleep on my back tonight, doubt I will stay in that position but will see how I get on.
16-04-2013, 22:09   #7
deadlybuzzman

Every so often I get a pain in my right shoulder, a night sleeping on my front with a pillow under my left shoulder so my weight pushes my right shoulder back sorts it out.
Congrats on the minipants btw!
16-04-2013, 22:43   #8
calfmuscle

I usually sleep on side but have a rotator cuff tear that wont go away so it wakes me up when im on that side. But I also have a pec tear on the other side so cant sleep on my front. And turning over really hurts. So can only sleep on one side.

(sorry for a useless and sel-fpitying post! )
16-04-2013, 22:51   #9
Hanley
Because Hanley Heals...

Lolz twilight zone. Was talking to someone today about the exact same thing. I'm convinced prolonged lying on my side with Bent legs has caused a hip/quad issue too.
Advertisement
16-04-2013, 22:59   #10
deadlybuzzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanley View Post
Lolz twilight zone. Was talking to someone today about the exact same thing. I'm convinced prolonged lying on my side with Bent legs has caused a hip/quad issue too.
I slept like that for a while and it coincided with a pain in my knee on the higher leg, thankfully it went away once I went back to sleeping in 'passed out drunk' position
16-04-2013, 23:10   #11
Ant11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlybuzzman View Post
Every so often I get a pain in my right shoulder, a night sleeping on my front with a pillow under my left shoulder so my weight pushes my right shoulder back sorts it out.
Congrats on the minipants btw!
Currently testing your pillow theory out. Do you fold the pillow over that's under your shoulder coz having it flat seems the same.
16-04-2013, 23:24   #12
deadlybuzzman

Quote:
Currently testing your pillow theory out. Do you fold the pillow over that's under your shoulder coz having it flat seems the same.
It depends on the pillow, half the ones on my bed I just throw on the floor at night as theyre so skinny, the one I use would be pretty thick but we're all different shapes and sizes so whatever works for you really
Thanks from:
17-04-2013, 00:22   #13
imnothim

my swimming teacher told me that muscle is heavier than fat. I assume that because I sleep on my back the fat rises past the heavier muscle tissue and this leads to fat retention around the stomach area. Anybody else suffer from this?
17-04-2013, 06:07   #14
Ant11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlybuzzman View Post
It depends on the pillow, half the ones on my bed I just throw on the floor at night as theyre so skinny, the one I use would be pretty thick but we're all different shapes and sizes so whatever works for you really
Cheers deadlybuzzman, pillow worked a charm. Kept me in the same position all night too.
17-04-2013, 07:39   #15
Burkatron

Not saying trigger points are the issue here but if it is this self release technique could be the fix & most of the time gives instant relief!

or I now answer 90% of joint issues with "voodoo floss the **** out of it" because I like to throw all my eggs into 1 basket! Not really but it works!

Compress it for around the 2-3 minute/when it gets too tingly mark! move it through all plane of motion!!!

Last edited by Burkatron; 17-04-2013 at 12:58.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion