Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

06-04-2013, 01:43   #1
FLCL

Terminally ill 16-year-old takes his anti-suicide campaign to RTE

Saw this article on independent.ie earlier and was frankly a little disturbed, http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...-29176645.html (Not sure if linking is allowed mod?)

To summarize, this guy is terminally ill and feels "anger" towards young people who commit suicide or are considering it. As someone with a family member suffering depression, I find this kind of message he's giving out quite unhelpful (despite his good intentions) and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding (by HSE and RTE for allowing this to go out tomorrow) of the complexity of mental illness, depression and suicide.

It reminds me of the "ahh sure cop on to yourself, there's always someone worse off" treatment. If you present yourself to a doctor/counselor/psychologist with depression they will not start off by telling you how there's starving children in Bolivia so get over your depression, and I am highly skeptical as to the benefits of a terminally ill boy's opinions and criticisms of an illness - the treatment of which he likely knows nothing about, on national TV will do.

Lines like this particularly grind my gears: "I feel angry that these people choose to take their lives, to ruin their families and to leave behind a mess that no one can clean up," he added.

Any thoughts / opinions?

Last edited by FLCL; 06-04-2013 at 01:47.
(281) thanks from:
**Timbuk2**, 00112984, 1210m5g, 1ZRed, 666irishguy, a fat guy, Acacia, adamski8, akura, allym, Amprodude, Andersonisgod, Ando's Saggy Bottom, Aoife9, April O Neill, ASJ112, Bacon and Cabbage, banquo, basillarkin, bb1234567, BEASTERLY, beks101, Benzino, BigBrownBear, biZrb, bluewolf, Boards.ie, Bobby42, bobwilliams, boneyarsebogman, Boo2112, Brego888, Brian_Zeluz, brummytom, btard, byhookorbycrook, Caiseoipe19, cat_xx, CB19Kevo, Cerulean Chicken, Chabals Beard, Chagan, charlemont, Chemical Burn, Cherry Blossom Girl, cherryghost, chillywilly, christina_x, Ciderswigger, Cienciano, citrus burst, Cocolola, Cody Pomeray, CommanderC, Corkfeen, cuana, DaaaaaaaaaaN, dar926, DarBucks, dashboard_hula, davyjose, daysleeper, DazMarz, Death and Taxes, Demonique, Dempsey, dmc17, DonLimon, doriansmith, Doublelime, dr strangelove, Dr.Sanchez, dublincelt, Dude111, Duggy747, ElleEm, end of the road, endacl, eviltwin, expectationlost, extra gravy, face1990, FamousSeamus, Feathers, Fighting Irish, Fitzg, Fluorescence, flutterflye, FMG, foggy_lad, Galway K9, gcgirl, Geekness1234, GeorgeBailey, Gomzu, Grand_Rajnah, GrumPy, Haelium, Hamiltonion, Herb Powell, herisson, Hersheys, hfallada, hobochris, Homer J. Fong, hoodwinked, housetypeb, Ilik Urgee, inocybe, ISDW, Itzy, IvyTheTerrible, IzzyWizzy, j.l, Jackobyte, jackofalltrades, james142, jessiblah, Jev/N, joetoad, Juicyfruit, keane2097, kerry4sam, KERSPLAT!, Knex., kowloon, krankykitty, KuriousOranj, KyussBishop, Laura_lolly87, lc180, Lena137, LenaClaire, Liam90, Lightbulb Sun, Lingua Franca, Links234, Linoge, liquoriceall, LittleBook, LizT, Lola92, Lollipops23, looking_around, Luckycharms_74, Madcon, marnie d, marshbaboon, massdebater, maximoose, Maysa07, mconigol, Meirleach, meoklmrk91, Mickeroo, MickFleetwood, mickstupp, Millicent, Miss Brightside, MissMoppet, molly09, Ms. Pingui, mud, muff03, munkers, mustang shelly, Myrddin, Nailz, nervous_twitch, Nichololas, nkay1985, odonopenmic, ordinary_girl, Overheal, OwaynOTT, pablomakaveli, Pappacharlie, Pawwed Rig, Phill Ewinn, Piink, Pilotdude5, pinkheels88, PirateShampoo, Podge_irl, PopePalpatine, pragmatic1, previous user, PseudoFamous, Pudsy33, Pumpkinseeds, Pushtrak, puzzle factory, quad_red, rab!dmonkey, Raic, Raiser, rarnes1, Rasheed, Ravelleman, ray giraffe, RayM, Real Life, red dave, Reoil, RobbingBandit, Roselm, Rossin, rxan90, Scruffles, sheikhnguyen, Shenshen, shoos, shootie, shopaholic01, Simi, Sinfonia, Slow Show, smash, smurfs5, smurgen, snickerpuss, SparkySpitfire, spiralism, steddyeddy, Steve O, stinkle, StinkyMunkey, Stompbox, strobe, Sulla Felix, Sundy, sunshine and showers, Supermensch, Suryavarman, SW, syklops, taytothief, TeddyTedson, Ten of Swords, TextureLikeSun, The Big Red Button, The King of Moo, The Scientician, The Sparrow, TheFullDuck, the_monkey, Tiddlypeeps, Time, Timmyctc, Tisserand, Tom Joad, Toshi101, triseke, true-or-false, Truley, Turtwig, unkel, Vojera, WallyGUFC, wayhey, Weevil, wendell borton, westies4ever, Whatsernamex33, wilkie2006, wingsof daun, WinnyThePoo, witchity2, wnolan1992, WOCM4, woodchuck, WoollyRedHat, wowy, Wurly, XxMCRxBabyxX, xzanti, yermandan, Zirconia, Zwillinge, _whiskers
Advertisement
06-04-2013, 01:45   #2
Bipolar Joe

FLCL is a great show, recommend it before you top yourself.
06-04-2013, 01:45   #3
Buttonftw

Being terminally ill doesn't mean that someone can't still be an unempathetic ass. And most 16 year olds are unempathetics asses.

Last edited by Buttonftw; 06-04-2013 at 01:54.
(126) thanks from:
00112984, 123balltv, a fat guy, akura, Alun, Aoife9, Aoifums, arbitrary constant, ASJ112, bb1234567, BEASTERLY, beks101, bgrizzley, bluewolf, boneyarsebogman, breakfasttime, brummytom, Busi Girl, byhookorbycrook, CB19Kevo, Cerulean Chicken, Cody Pomeray, ComputerKing, Corkfeen, davyjose, Demonique, ElleEm, end of the road, endacl, Ericaa, expectationlost, FLCL, Fluorescence, Gillo, Gomzu, Gran Hermano, GrumPy, Haelium, Herb Powell, hobochris, Homer J. Fong, hoodwinked, IrishHomer, IvyTheTerrible, Jackobyte, jaffacakesyum, Joaquin223, jujumushu, Kablamo!, Knex., kowloon, LenaClaire, Liam90, Lingua Franca, LizT, Lola92, Lollipops23, Lone Stone, madrabui, Makikomi, Mardy Bum, meoklmrk91, Mickeroo, mikemac1, Miss Brightside, Mr. Wong, Myrddin, Nailz, Nichololas, Overheal, Pappacharlie, phasers, Piliger, PirateShampoo, Podge_irl, PopePalpatine, pragmatic1, previous user, Pumpkinseeds, Pushtrak, Rasheed, ray giraffe, RayM, Real Life, RHJ, RossFixxxed, rxan90, Scruffles, Seachmall, seanm92, seven_eleven, shanered, Shenshen, shopaholic01, Simi, smash, smurfs5, SparkySpitfire, St.Spodo, steddyeddy, Steve O, stinkle, Stompbox, Sulla Felix, Suryavarman, SW, t1mm, tdv123, The Big Red Button, thebostoncrab, TimeToShine, Timmyctc, Tipsy McSwagger, tony 2 tone, Truley, Turtwig, UmmCadburys, Venom, weldoninhio, westies4ever, who_me, WinnyThePoo, wnolan1992, WOCM4, WoollyRedHat, yermandan
06-04-2013, 01:48   #5
Ihatecuddles
Closed Account

I think he's young and life has been unfair to him. He's speaking about something he doesn't fully understand.

I'm sure it will hurt a lot of people, to learn of this boy's situation and how he views suicide. I think everyone knows someone who's taken their own life.
Advertisement
06-04-2013, 01:52   #6
LizT
No longer sweaty.

I think it's an incredibly naive view to take. I can see why he thinks like that, it must be horrendous (to say the least) to be diagnosed with a terminal illness so young. It doesn't mean he should be able to judge those who think about committing suicide, it stigmatizes mental health issues even more.
06-04-2013, 01:52   #7
VanishingActs

I had a friend who got cancer at 15 and she had this attitude towards suicide, despite the fact that she had been suicidal due to depression before she got ill. I can absolutely understood having your view of life changed due to something as life altering as cancer but it made me sad to see her lose sympathy for people she used to very much relate to.

She passed away at 17 and I think she had every right to be angry that other people got to keep living, but it just saddened me that she acted like that towards people who were also struggling with illnesses- a mental illness is just as real as cancer.

Last edited by VanishingActs; 06-04-2013 at 01:55.
06-04-2013, 01:52   #8
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
of the clan Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Still a bit crude, though. Perhaps someone should sit him down and talk to him about the causes of suicide and what it's actually like to be depressed or isolated (the later being something, I'm assuming, he has never experienced).
06-04-2013, 01:53   #9
WOCM4
Closed Account

My sympathy for the man , but he does not have carte blanche to dictate the 'right' opinion.

Last edited by WOCM4; 06-04-2013 at 01:54. Reason: Im drunk, typing ****e
Advertisement
06-04-2013, 01:56   #10
WOCM4
Closed Account

Also FUK RTE and their agenda.
06-04-2013, 01:57   #11
tvnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatecuddles View Post
I think he's young and life has been unfair to him. He's speaking about something he doesn't fully understand.

I'm sure it will hurt a lot of people, to learn of this boy's situation and how he views suicide. I think everyone knows someone who's taken their own life.
True,its more RTE's fault for giving him the platform to do this when they should know better, he is just a kid who has been dealt a ****ty hand in life and this has resulted in ill informed views on the subject.
06-04-2013, 01:57   #12
Ten of Swords

Quote:
He's speaking about something he doesn't fully understand.
He is angry at his own situation and it has distorted his perspective imo. His comments show a complete lack of empathy towards those feeling at their lowest point, "if they slept on it or looked for help they could find a solution". Remarks like that are obviously well intentioned but unhelpful and would likely be counter productive to anyone feeling desperate enough to consider suicide.
06-04-2013, 01:59   #13
Ihatecuddles
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvnutz View Post
True,its more RTE's fault for giving him the platform to do this when they should know better, he is just a kid who has been dealt a ****ty hand in life and this has resulted in ill informed views on the subject.
Couldn't agree more. It will be an interesting show. Some of the comments after the article are awful.

One person compared him to people who 'just give up'.
(2) thanks from:
06-04-2013, 02:00   #14
jank
Banned

I suppose he is presenting the tough love approach which doesn't go down too well with many in this over sensitive society. If he makes one person sit up and take notice that life isn't all that bad which stops them taking their own life then what is the harm in that?
06-04-2013, 02:02   #15
Ten of Swords

Quote:
One person compared him to people who 'just give up'.
That comment was disgraceful, I wonder what it's original content was considering it has already been edited by the moderator
Thread Closed