Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Tax - Terraced or Semi Detached?

• 20-03-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking at the valuation site provided by Revenue for Property Tax and properties seem to be divided into bands based on the following:

Location, Year of build (Before or after 2000) and Property Type (Terraced, Detached, Semi Detached)

The fact of whether a house is terraced or semi detached changes the valuation band of my house and ultimately the amount I pay each year.

I live in Sligo in a two storey estate house which is unattached on one end and connected to a neighbour on the other. My neighbours house is then connected to their other neighbour on the other side by two single level converted garages (both proper rooms with windows rather than garage doors), and finally there is one other house on the end of the line basically giving a line of four connected buildings. I always thought I was semi detached but technically for the grounds of valuation, would I be considered an end of terrace house?

Technicality - I know - but I do not want to pay over the odds if not required to do so. Whats everyones thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

On the census form it's stated that end of terrace (which you are) is still terraced. Kinda obvious. Part of a terrace... Therefore, terraced :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dk1979

Thanks miss no stars - that's what I was hoping for :).

I know it seems obvious, but just to clarify - other houses of the same size and style in my line are all in blocks of two, which I would class as Semi-Detached.

The reason I am querying is that my adjoining neighbours house is connected to their neighbour by single level converted garages. Does this make me an end of terrace or a semi detached with a neighbour whose converted garage happens to connect to their neighbours converted garage?

Basically - if more than two houses are connected in some form, do they become a terrace?

Oops, didn't see the bit where you said it was garages connecting. I guess the fact that it's garages connecting muddies the water... But they are connected by a side wall. Just go with what you think it is (terrace), if revenue query it then explain your reasoning.

Ya, Garages are both converted to proper residential rooms (bedrooms) I think - so I think it could technically be argued as a terrace. I may be only fooling myself - but thanks for your opinion.

well in that case the houses are very clearly connected by a side walls of the houses. That's the definition of a terrace!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

well in that case the houses are very clearly connected by a side walls of the houses. That's the definition of a terrace!
    I would see it as a semi tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I would see it as a semi tbh.

That is a semi d not a terraced house.

OP its irrelevent anyway, you know what your house is worth weather you classify it as a terrarce or semi d is irrelevent.

Its worth what its worth.

Cheers guys. So when does an end of terrace house technically become a Semi D? Is there an official rule on this?

I know it's technically worth what it is worth - but for someone with no intention of selling anytime soon - I would be quite happy to value my home based on the lower option of End of Terrace when it comes to paying a lower rate property tax. Can you see where I am coming from?

dk1979 wrote: »
    Cheers guys. So when does an end of terrace house technically become a Semi D? Is there an official rule on this?

I know it's technically worth what it is worth - but for someone with no intention of selling anytime soon - I would be quite happy to value my home based on the lower option of End of Terrace when it comes to paying a lower rate property tax. Can you see where I am coming from?

No I dont see where your coming from. Arguing a value becasue the revenue website said a terrace in your area is cheaper than a semi D is quite frankly stupid.

Its worth what its worth trying to pay with a flimsy reason will cost you in interest and penalties. So you would be idiotic to try and convince yourself any anything otherwise.

As for when does an end of terrance become a semi D it doesnt. End of terrace is always end of terrace.

Your house is not a terraced house. Adjoining garages does not make it a terraced house. You live in a Semi D FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Its technically called an End of Terrace. Not sure if that description has been employed by Revenue. Might be no harm consulting them on the matter than seeking advice here. A semi-detached are generally made up of two houses connected. Even if its End of terrace they are generally considered to have a higher value due to side access to garden etc with potential for extensions which the mid terrace won't have to side.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your opinion D3PO - They are not actually garages - they are a fourth bedroom and utility room in both houses. I just used the garage term as a description to clarify that the connecting part of each house is not a two storey.

There are a total of four houses connected in my block. Is this not a terrace of houses?

Just checked Daft.ie valuation tool. Values my house at €102.000 as a Semi Detached and €92.000 as a terraced (possibly whether it's an end of terrace or not). If I can honestly and genuinely value my home as an end of terrace then I am quite comfortable doing so if it means a reduction in the annual payment I make. (I wouldn't say idiotic - just looking at options available - I think I would be idiotic not to?),

Thanks Bullseye - I think I will look for official line from Revenue on this.

Thanks for your opinion D3PO - They are not actually garages - they are a fourth bedroom and utility room in both houses. I just used the garage term as a description to clarify that the connecting part of each house is not a two storey.

There are a total of four houses connected in my block. Is this not a terrace of houses?

Just checked Daft.ie valuation tool. Values my house at €102.000 as a Semi Detached and €92.000 as a terraced (possibly whether it's an end of terrace or not). If I can honestly and genuinely value my home as an end of terrace then I am quite comfortable doing so if it means a reduction in the annual payment I make. (I wouldn't say idiotic - just looking at options available - I think I would be idiotic not to?),

garage or adjoining room it irrelevent it is still not a terraced house. A terraced hosue is calssified as a hosue in a row of IDENTICAL properties. 4 houses donnected due to some converted garages on a street of Semi D houses are not terraced.

If the roofline is not continually attached across the row then it is not a terrace.

i would says idiotic by the way. You know what your house is worth, trying to come up with some reasons to undervalue it is idiotic anyway you put it.

dk just to confirm are you saying your property is connected to the adjoining property by a single storey garage while the houses are two storey?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    dk just to confirm are you saying your property is connected to the adjoining property by a single storey garage while the houses are two storey?

Thats exactly what he is saying. Its a road of Semi D's which a few have single story garages (converted to rooms) attached on the ground level only.

Then I would say semi-d.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I would also say semi-d. Terraced houses are a row of houses with connecting roofs.

Yes, my house is two storey, next door is split level and connect to his neighbour by the lower level. From what others are saying, sounds like semi detached. Just curious re. My options. Wonder would my neighbour class himself as semi detached when connected on both sides?

Yes, my house is two storey, next door is split level and connect to his neighbour by the lower level. From what others are saying, sounds like semi detached. Just curious re. My options. Wonder would my neighbour class himself as semi detached when connected on both sides?

Who cares what your neighbour classifies himself as. You are 110% living in a SEMI D house.

You know it, you knew it before you posted here aswell no doubt, and also knew it when you bought the house. If you try and value it as a terraced house and you undervalue which is precisely what your trying to do, you deserve every bit of the penalty and interest you are likely to run up with revenue catch up with your self assesment

I only asked for an opinion, calm down! Why so aggressive in your replies? most people managed to reply without having a go. I was just looking at a potential saving for my family. Never understood why people in here try to turn everything into an argument?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I would say it was a semi D OP.

Have been debating this whole topic with my OH who feels that our house is semi d as it is attached on one side only while I say it is terrace (albeit end of terrace) as it is the last in a row of identical terrace houses with a shared roof line.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I would say it was a semi D OP.

Have been debating this whole topic with my OH who feels that our house is semi d as it is attached on one side only while I say it is terrace (albeit end of terrace) as it is the last in a row of identical terrace houses with a shared roof line.

if they share a roofline then its end of terrace.

I only asked for an opinion, calm down! Why so aggressive in your replies? most people managed to reply without having a go. I was just looking at a potential saving for my family. Never understood why people in here try to turn everything into an argument?

Hmm you know full well its a semi D , which to be honest means Sweet FA anyway as you are trying to look for some technicality to call it a terraced house so you can then argue that your house is worth less according to a website (either dafts or the revenues) which quite frankly again means Sweet FA.

You seem to have this idea that if you can find some technical reason to call it a terraced house instead of a semi D it will save you money. It wont, arguing that you went with the revenues guidance is not a defense for under valuing.

D3PO wrote: »
    if they share a roofline then its end of terrace.

That's what I said to OH. :D

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    That's what I said to OH. :D

best bet say "honey your right its semi D, I will put that on the form."

Then fill in as end of terrace with appropriate valuation. Everybodies happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

If you were selling the house last year, you most definitely would have sold it as a semi-d.

As others have said, it doesn't really matter if it's a terraced or a semi-d. Your house is worth what it's worth, no matter what you classify it as.

D3PO wrote: »
    best bet say "honey your right its semi D, I will put that on the form."

Then fill in as end of terrace with appropriate valuation. Everybodies happy :D

I went with 'No. You're wrong.' :o

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

This could be the answere to all your Property Tax problems. Could be a plan.

http://www.attackthetax.com/news.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

This could be the answere to all your Property Tax problems. Could be a plan.

http://www.attackthetax.com/news.html
    That is freeman nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement