Familysearch.org Photoduplication Service - Free scans of records! - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-03-2013, 21:29   #1
Coolnabacky1873

Familysearch.org Photoduplication Service - Free scans of records!

I know from previous posts on here that there are some big problems with accessing LDS Family History Centres in Ireland, so hopefully this might help.

Earlier this year Familysearch announced that they were opening up their photoduplication service to email requests.

So if you send them detailed information about a particular record you want, and they have the microfilm, then they will email you a high quality scan of the page with the relevant record.

You have to send very specific info: You MUST include the Film or Fiche number, item number, Name of Individual you are researching, Title of record and name of parents, spouse, grantor, grantee, etc, Event type (Birth, Death or Marriage), Complete event date and place, Parish and volume or page number and registration or Certificate Number, and state or country of origin and any other information that will be helpful in locating your record.

I tried with one request to see if they would do it even though I have a couple of Family History Centres near me.

I emailed them with a request on 6 Feb and got a brilliant scan of a Co. Laois parish register page yesterday, via email.

So even if you can't make it to the NLI/National Archives etc.. either and have the exact date of a record then you can get a scan via email as long as the LDS Family History Library has the microfilm.
Advertisement
07-03-2013, 23:49   #2
Ponster

Mod: Travel
Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
Seems too good to be true

Time to test !
07-03-2013, 23:57   #3
Coolnabacky1873

Ponster, you might know already but the Center for Jewish History, just off Union Square, is an approved FHC.

Usually much quieter, they do 3 hour blocks, and if there is no one booked on the micro machine after you then you can stay as long as you want.
08-03-2013, 11:47   #4
pinkypinky

Sounds great but is that a whole month time lag between request and fulfillment? I'm not knocking something free but most of the time I'm willing to pay €4 to have it in a few days.
08-03-2013, 11:59   #5
Coolnabacky1873

Yeah the wait for that record was a month.

I'd be the same myself, would rather spend if it's a small amount and have it quicker.

But if you live out in the boonies or money is tight or you really don't want to give your money to RootsIreland (if you have the date, of course) then it's a plus.

I forgot to mention that you can do a max of 5 per month. They must have hired a former GRO staff member
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-03-2013, 14:01   #6
Ponster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolnabacky1873 View Post
Ponster, you might know already but the Center for Jewish History, just off Union Square, is an approved FHC.

Usually much quieter, they do 3 hour blocks, and if there is no one booked on the micro machine after you then you can stay as long as you want.
Jackpot!

Thanks for that I guessed that there was one here somewhere but never had time to check it out as was still getting settled until recently.
09-03-2013, 08:10   #7
montgo

This is good news as I have no access to a LDS Centre, thanks.

I am not quite clear whether you still have to use the Request for Photocopies form ot just email the details directly.

Also I found some NY death records on the Italian Genealogical website, will FS be able to scan those records?
09-03-2013, 14:29   #8
Coolnabacky1873

I just put all the required info into an email and that seemed to work fine.

You'll need to see if the LDS library catalogue has the relevant microfilm for the record you want. If they have the film, then you are sorted.

Alternatively, you can apply to the NYC Municipal Archives, but you'll have to shell out some greenbacks.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html...rds/home.shtml
10-03-2013, 13:26   #9
Ponster

Quote:
I see it's $7.50 to order a film and the Irish civil records are often 1 film per year. I'm going to have to do a LOT of research to figure out what I need to order.
Advertisement
10-03-2013, 14:01   #10
montgo

Thanks again for the link to the Catalogue references, Coolnabacky. I have found a film # for a range for Death Certs so I have sent my email request and fingers crossed.
10-03-2013, 22:37   #11
Jaguar240

New Jersey

Great info, does anybody know of a site to get info Marriages/Deaths for New Jersey
11-03-2013, 00:17   #12
Coolnabacky1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar240 View Post
Great info, does anybody know of a site to get info Marriages/Deaths for New Jersey
Your best bet is familysearch.org, they have indexes for NJ BMDs. Go into the United States section and scroll down to New Jersey.

The New Jersey State Archives website also has select databases for NJ 19th century vital records that cover some decades.
11-03-2013, 15:57   #13
Ponster

Quote:
Do you know if there are any FHC centers in the city that already have the Irish civil microfilms on extended loan ?
11-03-2013, 16:01   #14
Coolnabacky1873

The Manhattan FHC has a list of onsite films on their blog and they seem to have a lot from Ireland so you might get some joy with that.

http://nynyfhc.blogspot.com/
03-04-2013, 11:48   #15
montgo

Update! FamilySearch requires you to use the form on the link above when ordering the photocopies.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion