Running - Best runners on the market? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 09:00   #1
ordinarysoap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Running - Best runners on the market?

Whats everyone's opinion on the best runners on the market at the moment for distance runners? realise its all preference but heard these were good
http://www.asics.ie/running/products/gel-kayano-men/

Cheers,
ordinarysoap is offline  
Advertisement
04-03-2013, 09:45   #2
AKW
amphkingwest.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The West
Posts: 3,163
Send a message via Skype™ to AKW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinarysoap View Post
Whats everyone's opinion on the best runners on the market at the moment for distance runners? realise its all preference but heard these were good
http://www.asics.ie/running/products/gel-kayano-men/

Cheers,
No such thing exists unfortunately.

The Kayano is a good shoe. If you are heavy and overpronate a bit the Kayano could be a great shoe. If you are light and suppinate or have a neutral foot the Kayano could destroy you.
AKW is offline  
04-03-2013, 10:34   #3
ordinarysoap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
thanks for that - i do not overpronate as my current running shoe would suggest. What other shoes are out there that are worth considering? i am a neutral runner as i would say
ordinarysoap is offline  
04-03-2013, 15:24   #4
glasso
Registered User
 
glasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinarysoap View Post
thanks for that - i do not overpronate as my current running shoe would suggest. What other shoes are out there that are worth considering? i am a neutral runner as i would say
there are 100's of models of runners... even within neutral range of things. would need to provide more detail.

max price willing to pay?
mileage per week you intend to do?
surface you'll be running on?
want really lightweight runners or not that important/
glasso is offline  
05-03-2013, 10:33   #5
dekbhoy
Registered User
 
dekbhoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 357
I spoke to guys in 2 elvery shops and 1 in runways and they all recommended Brooks. Personally i wore Asics(nimbus13) for last marathon and found them a fantastic shoe for comfort. On taking the advice from experts after more gait analysis i bought a pair of Brooks Trance 11 that i intended running next marathon from runways but so far have found them to be a very hard shoe, in fact i am getting some pains in ankles and achiles after using them. My advice would be to go someone who really knows what they are talking about explain to them your goals preferences etc and go from there. Will give the brooks another few miles to see if they soften up but chances are i will be returning to asics. I weigh about 80kg and run around 40-50 km per week.
dekbhoy is offline  
Advertisement
05-03-2013, 10:39   #6
AKW
amphkingwest.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The West
Posts: 3,163
Send a message via Skype™ to AKW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekbhoy View Post
I spoke to guys in 2 elvery shops and 1 in runways and they all recommended Brooks. Personally i wore Asics(nimbus13) for last marathon and found them a fantastic shoe for comfort. On taking the advice from experts after more gait analysis i bought a pair of Brooks Trance 11 that i intended running next marathon from runways but so far have found them to be a very hard shoe, in fact i am getting some pains in ankles and achiles after using them. My advice would be to go someone who really knows what they are talking about explain to them your goals preferences etc and go from there. Will give the brooks another few miles to see if they soften up but chances are i will be returning to asics. I weigh about 80kg and run around 40-50 km per week.
You've gone from a neutral shoe with no running problems (?) to a guidance shoe which is giving you issues. It has absolutely nothing to do with brand, it is all about the mechanics and getting that to compliment you.

Brand is secondary.
AKW is offline  
Thanks from:
05-03-2013, 18:26   #7
digger2d2
Registered User
 
digger2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Manor Born
Posts: 3,948
Elvery's must be on a Brucie Brooks Bonus..... I was in there the other day and a guy was advising a middle aged woman about the three pairs in front of her (looked like she'd had her gait analysis done)..... "Adidas are the biggest distributors in the country but Brooks are the best runner in the world, they are wider fitting so are perfect for a wider foot''..... ''but I have a narrow foot'' replied the lady, ''Oh, yes, but the footbed offers so much comfort'' !??
digger2d2 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
07-03-2013, 14:13   #8
dekbhoy
Registered User
 
dekbhoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphkingwest View Post
You've gone from a neutral shoe with no running problems (?) to a guidance shoe which is giving you issues. It has absolutely nothing to do with brand, it is all about the mechanics and getting that to compliment you.

Brand is secondary.
Point taken but sales staff explained a lot more technology and expense are put into brooks running shoe. Should i go and get gait analysis done again or should i persist with brooks for another while as maybe my feet are adjusting slightly. i have noticed wear on old running shoes on outside of sole, which would suggest i am indeed pronating.
dekbhoy is offline  
07-03-2013, 14:39   #9
HelenAnne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekbhoy View Post
I spoke to guys in 2 elvery shops and 1 in runways and they all recommended Brooks. Personally i wore Asics(nimbus13) for last marathon and found them a fantastic shoe for comfort. On taking the advice from experts after more gait analysis i bought a pair of Brooks Trance 11 that i intended running next marathon from runways but so far have found them to be a very hard shoe, in fact i am getting some pains in ankles and achiles after using them. My advice would be to go someone who really knows what they are talking about explain to them your goals preferences etc and go from there. Will give the brooks another few miles to see if they soften up but chances are i will be returning to asics. I weigh about 80kg and run around 40-50 km per week.
And to prove that everyone's different, I was happy & problem free in the Nimbus12, but since I changed to the Brooks Ghost (bought both shoes on advice from Amphibian King) I've been even happier. They seem to have more room for my toes!
I'd really recommend all the branches of Ampibian King, they even let you go outside for a bit of a run in the shoes to see how they feel before you buy.
HelenAnne is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-03-2013, 15:04   #10
AKW
amphkingwest.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The West
Posts: 3,163
Send a message via Skype™ to AKW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekbhoy View Post
Point taken but sales staff explained a lot more technology and expense are put into brooks running shoe.
Sorry, this is junk. Yes, Brooks are a specialist brand and focus on some key product areas over their competitors. But so too are Saucony, Mizuno, Addidas, Asics etc all of the companies invest heavily in their technoogical developments.

Look how much Adidas must have spent on their recent Boost launch.

The shoe will suit your foot or it won't, and I think this Brooks shoe doesn't suit you. Possibly the Glycerin or Ghost may have been better recommendation, based on your history in the Nimbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekbhoy View Post
Should i go and get gait analysis done again or should i persist with brooks for another while as maybe my feet are adjusting slightly. i have noticed wear on old running shoes on outside of sole, which would suggest i am indeed pronating.
If it puts your mind at ease do get checked again. I would be questioning the shoe choice as you shouldn't have new problems.

Wear on the outside would indicate an underpronating foot or a shoe with too much correction. Again, highlighting the liklihood that you are a neutral foot.

Shoe wear should be even across the foot and with two hot spots at the heel and the ball / toe area where the most abrasive action and highest energy forces are generated at landing and push off.
AKW is offline  
07-03-2013, 20:53   #11
SWL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekbhoy View Post
I spoke to guys in 2 elvery shops and 1 in runways and they all recommended Brooks. Personally i wore Asics(nimbus13) for last marathon and found them a fantastic shoe for comfort. On taking the advice from experts after more gait analysis i bought a pair of Brooks Trance 11 that i intended running next marathon from runways but so far have found them to be a very hard shoe, in fact i am getting some pains in ankles and achiles after using them. My advice would be to go someone who really knows what they are talking about explain to them your goals preferences etc and go from there. Will give the brooks another few miles to see if they soften up but chances are i will be returning to asics. I weigh about 80kg and run around 40-50 km per week.

Went from Nimbus 13 to brooks it was like running in a pair of dance shoes, wanted to bin them but having paid 130 euro I couldn't afford too. The Brooks are very hard got used to them but can't wait until they are replaced.

There was nothing wrong with nimbus, I just wanted to change to a new shoe. if I could get something inbetween it would be perfect, not as soft as the nimbus but not as hard as the Brooks

Last edited by SWL; 07-03-2013 at 22:45.
SWL is offline  
07-03-2013, 23:04   #12
AKW
amphkingwest.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The West
Posts: 3,163
Send a message via Skype™ to AKW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWL View Post
Went from Nimbus 13 to brooks it was like running in a pair of dance shoes, wanted to bin them but having paid 130 euro I couldn't afford too. The Brooks are very hard got used to them but can't wait until they are replaced.

There was nothing wrong with nimbus, I just wanted to change to a new shoe. if I could get something inbetween it would be perfect, not as soft as the nimbus but not as hard as the Brooks
What model Brooks have you changed to? Sounds really strange because Brooks are only supposed to be stocked by people who understand the shoe & who it is suitable for.

The majority of people I find that are changing from Asics Nimbus to the Brooks Glycerin (€130 shoe) love the similarity of the comfort, fit and cushioning that they are used to in the Nimbus but are saving €30 into the bargain too.
AKW is offline  
07-03-2013, 23:37   #13
rasher_m
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphkingwest View Post

Wear on the outside would indicate an underpronating foot or a shoe with too much correction. Again, highlighting the liklihood that you are a neutral foot.

Shoe wear should be even across the foot and with two hot spots at the heel and the ball / toe area where the most abrasive action and highest energy forces are generated at landing and push off.
Hi, can I hop in here and ask Amphibian King a question. I got gait analysis done last year and was wearing a shoe I was happy in. My physio noticed I have a lot hard skin on the outside of my foot like I'm leaning towards the right. Could this be cause I'm in the wrong shoe?
rasher_m is offline  
08-03-2013, 00:02   #14
SWL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphkingwest View Post
What model Brooks have you changed to? Sounds really strange because Brooks are only supposed to be stocked by people who understand the shoe & who it is suitable for.

The majority of people I find that are changing from Asics Nimbus to the Brooks Glycerin (€130 shoe) love the similarity of the comfort, fit and cushioning that they are used to in the Nimbus but are saving €30 into the bargain too.
It was the Brooks Glycerin (bought from your good self), I fancied a change had 4 pairs of Nimbus, I ran in them before buying and thought they were perfect, not to soft not too hard, but after a week I was banjaxed from them, they are not all bad in races when my mind is on other things they are fine and they give a smooth ride, but they are 8 months old now so time to change, recommendations are welcome
SWL is offline  
08-03-2013, 04:59   #15
AKW
amphkingwest.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The West
Posts: 3,163
Send a message via Skype™ to AKW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWL View Post
It was the Brooks Glycerin (bought from your good self), I fancied a change had 4 pairs of Nimbus, I ran in them before buying and thought they were perfect, not to soft not too hard, but after a week I was banjaxed from them, they are not all bad in races when my mind is on other things they are fine and they give a smooth ride, but they are 8 months old now so time to change, recommendations are welcome
Model is spot on for the change. In what way were they hard relative to he Nimbus? In general the Glycerin is a plush shoe with the smooth outsole (as you've noticed) and the DNA gel gives better response underfoot.

Re suggestions, based on your experience I'd be considering the Nimbus again, but, need to try it on as its changed this season too.

Just to highlight something else, if you ever have a problem with one of our recommendations you have 28 days to let us know and we will exchange shoes for you. AK want you to be happy running.
AKW is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet