Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-03-2013, 22:04   #1
Be like Nutella

What is Googles End Goal?

Watched some documentaries recently on Google, its whole story etc all about Larry Page and Sergey Brin and all that... and it got me very interested in Google in general and the more I learned about Google and its various products and projects I found myself wondering about the monopoly which is Google and its future intentions etc..

So I thought I'd start a thread to see what people think about Google, whether it truly does apply its infamous 'don't be evil' mantra to its operations and its future plans.

Personally I have issues with Google's collection of personal information and my searching and all that privacy stuff and yet I understand that it is this information which allows Google to be so good at search. I have issues with the amount of access it gives officially or unofficially to agencies like the FBI/NSA. I consider Google as 'too big for society' to control or have a say in and I think it represents a massive 'potential' threat to all the democratization the internet promises to the individual and to societies - especially in the case of China for instance who has a secret business arrangement with Google and we all know that that would include issues such as Censoring the internet to its citizens etc..

Anyway
what do yez think?
Google good or bad?
what aspects of Google do you distrust?

They have an awful lot of major technological advances in the pipeline right now and enormous projects which will effect the whole world when they come to fruition. They don't have a history of asking people what they want before they 'inflict' their ideas upon the world and that is their right as a money making company ... but at what cost potentially?

I think the internet is amazing and Google is the core of the internet and as such has 'enabled' amazing and benevolent things to happen in the world. But are they too big now? Is it too much POWER concentrated in one single corporation?

Just lookin for opinions, things I haven't thought of etc.. whats your take?

employs >50k people,
turns over 50 Bn and makes a profit of 10 Bn a year,
Processes 3 billion searches a day.

Is there a conspiracy?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-03-2013, 22:09   #2
Mech1

Is there a conspiracy?

Google it.
03-03-2013, 00:03   #3
Torakx

lol I did google it!
I thought I might break the interwebz, but no...
I got a google friendly CT page at the top search.
http://gawker.com/260980/the-top-fou...iracy-theories

I feel much safer now that its all been covered and apparently we are being paranoid
Even some posed scenarios of where it could work, end with reasons for how it couldnt work.

Good thread topic by the way.
I have noticed I try to do a search and the damn search engine tries logging me into my gmail to record my searches.
Also youtube seems to do this if you go from a logged in Gmail search to youtube vids, you will be watching the vids logged into youtube O.o
Pain in the ass.

I do often wonder what will become of all this.
Google is so popular its mentioned everywhere and I myself am always telling people who ask stupid questions to google it.
A search engine is handy but sometimes I think to switch because I dont like the idea of any corp gettign that big.

Any suggestions for alternatives?
I dont want to google "seach engines" haha!
03-03-2013, 00:51   #4
Brown Bomber

http://blekko.com/
(2) thanks from:
03-03-2013, 02:01   #5
Torakx

(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-03-2013, 03:05   #6
the_syco

I had a long response laughing at your conspiracy, but when I clicked "submit reply", I got this;

Attached Images
File Type: jpg google_conspiracy.JPG (27.0 KB, 978 views)
Thanks from:
03-03-2013, 10:21   #7
keelanj69
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torakx View Post
Ahhh. 609. And with a little tweaking here and there and hey presto 666!
03-03-2013, 10:27   #8
Sonics2k

Send a message via Skype™ to Sonics2k
Quote:
What's 999 got to do with it?
03-03-2013, 10:42   #9
thiarfearr
Closed Account

Here's a statement from isohunt concerning google, and their ability to censor:

Quote:
On the news that Google announcing they will downrank sites "with too many valid DMCA takedown notices". Since isoHunt is currently listed as #3 of most noticed sites, that is likely to happen to to us.

But let's get it out of the way that we are crying foul just because we are scared of losing traffic. About 75% of all our traffic are direct traffic, with 21% coming from Google searches (and much of that being searches on "isohunt" and "isohunt.com"). So even if Google takes isoHunt entirely out of their index, we'll survive. Unless Google start censoring isoHunt at the Chrome browser level, but let's not give them any ideas.

What I want to bring to attention about this search algorithm change is Google is no longer the search engine upstart they used to be (for a while now). As Search Engine Land says, Google is now a content distribution company. What's missing on Google's DMCA notices report? Youtube. The by far largest video content website in the world ought to have very high volume of DMCA notices, if not the most, and it's inconspicuously missing from the list. To downrank and censor any website that's not Google's that receives a high number of DMCA notices? Sounds exactly like antitrust to me.

Now, on what is "valid" DMCA notices to warrant Google labeling a site as pirate? Google Legal has already labelled us a "pirate" service before, to prop themselves up as "legit". That is their opinion. What is really wrong with downranking/censoring websites based on "valid" DMCA notices however is that what's valid is simply notices that has not been countered. With millions of links subject to notices, we never bothered countering any DMCA notices on Google (not to mention Google only recently put up their transparency report so there hasn't even been an easy way to review what's been noticed per domain). That does not mean all links under isohunt.com which Google has filtered by notices are valid, just because we haven't countered them. Not any more valid than how Youtube took down NASA's Mars video just because a broadcaster said so. Is what Google/Youtube routinely call valid takedowns valid, like many others before? You tell me. (although to Google's credit, a video of a Canadian urinating on his passport is too good to takedown, unlike a video from Mars)

To complicate matters, we are also a search engine, like Google, not just a regular website. We have our DMCA policy and takedown process, like Google. (ours was electronic by email years ago I might add, when Google was still requiring snail mail) And contrary to popular beliefs, we have plenty of torrent links to non-copyright infringing content, and we'll be adding 1.4M more from the Internet Archive soon. Is it right for Google to downrank or outright censor torrent links to legit, non-infringing content on isoHunt.com (or any other site), just because copyright holders have spammed a million "valid" DMCA notices on our other pages to Google that hasn't been countered? Censorship will never be easier, by DMCA spam.

The media conglomerates failed to pass SOPA, now they are getting in bed with Youtube at the public's expense. I'd point you to Google alternatives like DuckDuckGo (which respects your privacy a lot more to boot), or heck, bing but since everyone google, that's unlikely to go far in practice. While Google already started down this path of censorship with autocorrect before, search ranking based on mere DMCA notices is a line that should not be crossed.

We need a protest against Google censorship and antitrust.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-03-2013, 10:49   #10
Logical_Bear
Closed Account

Like any big corp it has to have an eye kept on it

Im a bit wary of it's policy of collecting 'non-personal' information and the way they tailor adds for you in gmail etc(why it keeps showing ads for fleshlights and thai brides would lead me to think their algorithim is broke )

To give them credit gmail was a game changer and their support of android has had a major impact on technology(also see their google glass).

having said that they can show their true corporate colours sometimes.I use isohunt as my torrent search engine.That site is being chased through the courts in the states(along with many others) and has posted some interesting points.The one below is one that involves googles behaviour

Quote:
On the news that Google announcing they will downrank sites "with too many valid DMCA takedown notices". Since isoHunt is currently listed as #3 of most noticed sites, that is likely to happen to to us.

But let's get it out of the way that we are crying foul just because we are scared of losing traffic. About 75% of all our traffic are direct traffic, with 21% coming from Google searches (and much of that being searches on "isohunt" and "isohunt.com"). So even if Google takes isoHunt entirely out of their index, we'll survive. Unless Google start censoring isoHunt at the Chrome browser level, but let's not give them any ideas.

What I want to bring to attention about this search algorithm change is Google is no longer the search engine upstart they used to be (for a while now). As Search Engine Land says, Google is now a content distribution company. What's missing on Google's DMCA notices report? Youtube. The by far largest video content website in the world ought to have very high volume of DMCA notices, if not the most, and it's inconspicuously missing from the list. To downrank and censor any website that's not Google's that receives a high number of DMCA notices? Sounds exactly like antitrust to me.

Now, on what is "valid" DMCA notices to warrant Google labeling a site as pirate? Google Legal has already labelled us a "pirate" service before, to prop themselves up as "legit". That is their opinion. What is really wrong with downranking/censoring websites based on "valid" DMCA notices however is that what's valid is simply notices that has not been countered. With millions of links subject to notices, we never bothered countering any DMCA notices on Google (not to mention Google only recently put up their transparency report so there hasn't even been an easy way to review what's been noticed per domain). That does not mean all links under isohunt.com which Google has filtered by notices are valid, just because we haven't countered them. Not any more valid than how Youtube took down NASA's Mars video just because a broadcaster said so. Is what Google/Youtube routinely call valid takedowns valid, like many others before? You tell me. (although to Google's credit, a video of a Canadian urinating on his passport is too good to takedown, unlike a video from Mars)

To complicate matters, we are also a search engine, like Google, not just a regular website. We have our DMCA policy and takedown process, like Google. (ours was electronic by email years ago I might add, when Google was still requiring snail mail) And contrary to popular beliefs, we have plenty of torrent links to non-copyright infringing content, and we'll be adding 1.4M more from the Internet Archive soon. Is it right for Google to downrank or outright censor torrent links to legit, non-infringing content on isoHunt.com (or any other site), just because copyright holders have spammed a million "valid" DMCA notices on our other pages to Google that hasn't been countered? Censorship will never be easier, by DMCA spam.

The media conglomerates failed to pass SOPA, now they are getting in bed with Youtube at the public's expense. I'd point you to Google alternatives like DuckDuckGo (which respects your privacy a lot more to boot), or heck, bing but since everyone google, that's unlikely to go far in practice. While Google already started down this path of censorship with autocorrect before, search ranking based on mere DMCA notices is a line that should not be crossed.

We need a protest against Google censorship and antitrust.
http://isohunt.com/
Thanks from:
03-03-2013, 15:28   #11
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
666 Image
This is either the funniest parody of conspiracy theories I've ever seen, or the single-most ridiculous actual conspiracy theory.

Could even be both!
03-03-2013, 15:46   #12
Torakx

A conspiracy theory non the less
04-03-2013, 19:39   #13
thecommander

Quote:
bog?
Thanks from:
05-03-2013, 02:47   #14
Aquarius34

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_ultimate View Post
This is either the funniest parody of conspiracy theories I've ever seen, or the single-most ridiculous actual conspiracy theory.

Could even be both!
You have an odd sense of humour..... a...n...y...w..a..y...

666 is not all evil or hocus pocus like people make it out to be, but it is symbolic here and it does denote 666 regardless of whatever you believe about it. I have to say this too. It's not funny. I have a wild sense of humour and I am gonna cut you short here with that.
05-03-2013, 03:39   #15
Be like Nutella

"NSA is not able to comment on specific relationships we may or may not have with U.S. companies. We can say as a general matter, however, that ... [the] NSA works with a broad range of commercial partners and research associates."

; )

NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...nsadatacenter/

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion