Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Ive never heard of an insurance company requesting something like that to be honest and Ive worked in insurance for a number of years.

The only logic I can think of is that they are afraid you are going to be driving both cars under one insurance policy but the rules for driving other cars exclude this (driving other cars only covers vehicles you don't own yourself) so I really don't see how they can ask for something like that.

What Id advise is for you to call them and ask exactly why they have requested the proof and Id ask them to provide the reason for the request in writing too.

Post back here if you get a reason from them, Im interested to know what their game is.
    After waisting my time and money for 14 minutes listen to this stupid message that all our customer service reps are busy eventually Ive got somebody who put me on hold for another minute and said that everything is perfect and I dont need to send them back anything:/Though she didnt give me a clear answer why they have requested such thing off me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Quick question guys - if someone is on their 2nd provisional license, it is possible to add someone on their first provisional as a named driver under their insurance? I'm sure it would cost a bomb even if it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Quick question guys - if someone is on their 2nd provisional license, it is possible to add someone on their first provisional as a named driver under their insurance? I'm sure it would cost a bomb even if it was?

Of course it is. :)

Both will still be required to be accompanied by a full licence driver and as you've quite rightly pointed out, the financial impact would be quite significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

And is the reason that it's going to cost a lot because the premium holder is a provisional driver or because the named driver is a provisional holder, or a combination of both? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The primary premium calculation is always based on the main driver, so the fact the policy holder is on a provisional will be the main reason. Adding a named provisional driver to that will certainly cause the quote to increase though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not 100% true,some insurers will allow you to add on a driver to the policy with a provisional licence at no extra charge.

FBD for example have this option if adding on a spouse or partner as a "mature" driver.

IIRC they have to be over 25 and be resident with the policy holder for this to occur however I know of instances where the child of a policy holder was added on as a mature driver at no extra cost.They were over 25 but that's about it.

IIRC,some of the other larger providers also offer a similar service for spouse/partner however ye are right for a common or garden additional provisional driver,it will cost extra.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

Hi just a quick question. Can you insure a second car in your own name when you already have insurance on a different car

I have a car adapted for mother in law and there is going to be sometime when she is gone in the car with my partner that I Will need to drive another car we have an old car parked up and I am just wondering would I be able to get this car insured in my own name too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Yes but you will have to take out a second policy that will essentially be a new policy so you will have no no claims bonus to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Just a quick question here so I dont need to start a new thread.

Just got my license, going to go out on my own for insurance. Is it possible to put my dad as a named driver on my policy even though he is insured on his own car?

d.anthony wrote: »
    Just a quick question here so I dont need to start a new thread.

Just got my license, going to go out on my own for insurance. Is it possible to put my dad as a named driver on my policy even though he is insured on his own car?

Absolutely as long as he has a licence and isn't banned from driving already then you can name him on your policy.

If doing this isn't dropping price for you then your father could also be entitled to drive your vehicle under his own policies Third Party Extension. He'd need to make sure that he has that first though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yes. Many many times. Lots of insurance companies have refused to quote because of my age, my car or my lack of NCD at different times. Of course, these were nothing personal or particular to me. It was their modelling. I think most of us have been refused insurance many many times similarly.

Am I telling a bald face lie every time I get a new quote?

Furthermore, I got the following from FBD after having several false starts with regard to my car, which has been off the road, having no NCT for over 6 months (the stated reason- the car is now NCT'd as of yesterday).

"Dear cantdecide,

We refer to your request for Motor Insurance Quotation on 17th July 2013.

We are unable to quote for this risk for the following reasons:

-Your vehicle profile does not meet our New Business Underwriting criteria for this channel. These criteria could be for reasons such as Vehicle performance, modifications, value.

We also wish to advise that you are entitled to contact

The Declined Cases Committee,
    Irish Insurance Federation,
    39 Molesworth Street,
    Dublin 2"

So now I've been refused insurance in writing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Great post, but I would argue one point
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Do I need to insure a car sitting on the side of the road?

Technically, no. "It is illegal to drive or be in charge of a vehicle in a public place, unless there is a policy of Insurance in force which covers liabilities for injury or damage caused to others. So by rights, if the car is sitting at the side of the road without Insurance, it isn't an issue until you take charge of it.

Taking charge of a vehicle does not mean operating it. We seen this argument in a third party extension cover thread, where it was asked if someone was to drive another car that had no policy attached to it and the insured person exited the car and the car then rolled back into another car, who would be responsible. The person in charge of the car would be the person responsible for it at that time, even though the person in charge was not in the vehicle.

goz83 wrote: »
    Great post, but I would argue one point

Taking charge of a vehicle does not mean operating it. We seen this argument in a third party extension cover thread, where it was asked if someone was to drive another car that had no policy attached to it and the insured person exited the car and the car then rolled back into another car, who would be responsible. The person in charge of the car would be the person responsible for it at that time, even though the person in charge was not in the vehicle.

I've had countless discussions with members of the Gardai and Solicitors on this matter over the years and the general consensus is that if the motor has TAX then it's all good. .

If you can link me up with anything to support this then fair dues but this was taken from life experience and countless referral journals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

I'm trying to get insured again - I haven't been driving since 2009 - when I got 2 years no claims bonus. Everywhere says they won't take anything you earned over 2 years ago, so I'm back to square one. I'm 28, with full licence for 8 years. Anybody got any recommendations of a good place I could go? Cheapest quote I've gotten so far is 1,050. I'm looking to buy a 1.4 Ford Focus.

gerbear1 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get insured again - I haven't been driving since 2009 - when I got 2 years no claims bonus. Everywhere says they won't take anything you earned over 2 years ago, so I'm back to square one. I'm 28, with full licence for 8 years. Anybody got any recommendations of a good place I could go? Cheapest quote I've gotten so far is 1,050. I'm looking to buy a 1.4 Ford Focus.
    Where can I get an Insurance quote?

Well you're on the internet so you could use the internet. Click Here.

Call a few different Brokers OP.

I've always recommended Aaran Insurance in Harolds Cross.

I'd suggest trying small brokers as well as the bigger lads like Aon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

Call a few different Brokers OP.

I've always recommended Aaran Insurance in Harolds Cross.

I'd suggest trying small brokers as well as the bigger lads like Aon etc.
    Thanks for the recommendation of Aaran Insurance. I've already rang close to 10 places. Obviously I'm going to miss some, so recommendations like this is what I'm looking for.

Edit: Just to let you know I rang them and they came in at 974, so 75 euro less than Kelleher insurance.

gerbear1 wrote: »

Edit: Just to let you know I rang them and they came in at 974, so 75 euro less than Kelleher insurance.

Glad to hear it. With any luck you'll get better elsewhere.

Whilst they can't do much for me anymore I always found them second to none with competitive quotes when I was in high premium land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got the best quote for myself from Cover in a click.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Been with AVIVA for 10 yrs and renewal quote is €1,041.60 was €278
    No penalty points or accidents etc.
    Rang them only to be told because of new legislation regarding men/women been insured the same now is why my insurance went up.
    Have been online getting quotes and all seem to be the same less than €300
    Aviva say the best they can do is €978
    Scandalous imo even taking into account new law etc €800 is taking the:mad: P

Bettyboop wrote: »
    Rang them only to be told because of new legislation regarding men/women been insured the same now is why my insurance went up.

That's ridiculous. I guess it's time to get a letter of NCB proof from Aviva and shop around again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Last year, they seemed to have a strong preference towards certain drivers, particularly females. From what I can tell, they are now stepping back from lots of different segments. I doubt there are many people that didn't see an increase in their premiums with Aviva. You are probably just unfortunate to fall into a few categories where they have decided to load!!:confused:

Just out of interest, obtain a new quote and don't give the Reg and a different DOB and see what they come back with.

Aviva are intentionally shedding literally millions of euro worth of business atm, across all lines, they are also undergoing massive re-structuring internally so to see their premiums jump that much is no surprise.

TBH I wouldn't even be bothered ringing them when there is such an increase.

Aviva are intentionally shedding literally millions of euro worth of business atm, across all lines, they are also undergoing massive re-structuring internally so to see their premiums jump that much is no surprise.

TBH I wouldn't even be bothered ringing them when there is such an increase.

Aviva was actually the only insurance company who wouldn't even give me a quote over the phone. I had to give them my address and they sent me a form to fill out to get a quote, but I didn't bother. Called up pretty much every other company and got a reasonable quote at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Lads Aviva for me was always the most expensive insurer since Im here. Last quote from them was 1500 while from competitors I could obtain easily something between 500-650. Obviously I didnt even bother to negotiate over the phone. I can not understand what ind of policy do they apply to its clients and how they manage to have any??:confused:

GvidoR wrote: »
    Aviva was actually the only insurance company who wouldn't even give me a quote over the phone. I had to give them my address and they sent me a form to fill out to get a quote, but I didn't bother. Called up pretty much every other company and got a reasonable quote at the end.

In my experience thats what an insurance company will do with people they don't want to quote for, but have no underwriting basis for declining them over the phone

The logic is that most people wont be arsed filling in and sending back a manual proposal form.

Its covering them selves under the consumer protection code because they didn't decline to quote you, they would just make you jump through hoops to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Quick question:

I have been named driver on my good lady wifes policy for the last 3 years. During this time, I only had a provisional licence / learning permit.

Finally got round to passing the test there two months ago. So just wondering would I be better off getting a new policy in my name with wifey as named driver?

Reason I ask is her licence is full EU. We only have the one car and both use it equally.

When you say EU, she hasn't changed it over to Ireland yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

When you say EU, she hasn't changed it over to Ireland yet?

No! Can she / should she do it? Would she have to do a test here?!

• Advertisement

Well she should do it AFAIk after a certain length of residency here. Open to correction on that.

Doesn't mean she had to re do a test, she just swaps for an Irish one.

As it stands, she's more experienced and as the main driver, she's probably reducing what the premium would be if you were to take over with a fresh driving licence.

To get some ideas though you could just log on to the likes of Liberty's or 123.ie's sites and stick your details in (nothing identifying you or anything like DOB or name or reg) and see what it comes back with.

At present though, I'd say having you named is cheaper than the alternative.

Advertisement